Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-08, 04:16 PM   #1
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XXX: Titanium Beauty

Ok, too much bike flipping money & a promising candidate for my stable makes for a spur of the moment purchase. To make my stable each candidate has to be fundamentally different from a current member. This would be the only Titanium frame. Bike reviews gives it 5.0/5.0 with 26 reviews. Most of the riders are big heavy guys like me. She even comes with a compact crank. Forgive the pic - it's hoisted from the ebay auction I just won.

Old 11-10-08, 04:40 PM   #2
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Bikes:
Woah ----- that is just sinful. How bout some specs? Lp
Spinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 05:06 PM   #3
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
Woah ----- that is just sinful. How bout some specs? Lp
All I have so far is copied from another review. I understand it's a bit heavier but bomb proof. It rides like a racer if needed but is as smooth as a tourer on a double century.

Colnago Oval-master, 6/4 Ti, RABOBANK colors, 61cm

"frame is made of a super-tough 6/4 aerospace titanium alloy and crafted with the legendary colnago workmanship. frame is designed to handle the roughest punishment you can dish out in the spring classics, with a super-beefy "mega" down-tube and the star-profiled "master" top-tube. features the distinctive orange/blue/white colors of the Rabobank euro-pro team. frame size is a colnago 61cm - in these large sizes it has what is called the "freuler" top-tube. the important geometry specs for fit are as follows: top-tube length = 58.2cm, seat-angle = 73.0&deg"

http://www.atabike.com/colnagotable.html

Last edited by robtown; 11-10-08 at 06:02 PM.
robtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 05:06 PM   #4
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Oh, my!

That frame is hawt!
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 05:36 PM   #5
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtown View Post
All I have so far is copied from another review. I understand it's a bit heavier but bomb proof. It rides like a racer if needed but is as smooth as a tourer on a double century.

Colnago Oval-master, 6/4 Ti, RABOBANK colors, 61cm

"frame is made of a super-tough 6/4 aerospace titanium alloy and crafted with the legendary colnago workmanship. frame is designed to handle the roughest punishment you can dish out in the spring classics, with a super-beefy "mega" down-tube and the star-profiled "master" top-tube. features the distinctive orange/blue/white colors of the Rabobank euro-pro team. frame size is a colnago 61cm - in these large sizes it has what is called the "freuler" top-tube. the important geometry specs for fit are as follows: top-tube length = 58.2cm, seat-angle = 73.0&deg"
If you hate it, please send it to me. Thanks.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 06:50 PM   #6
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Bikes:
I'd do back flips blindfolded for a Colnago Master X Light ----- my dream cycle. Lp

Last edited by Spinz; 11-10-08 at 06:54 PM.
Spinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 07:10 PM   #7
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Nice couch. Was that included?
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 08:29 PM   #8
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC
very nice, good for you!!! Let's see it when it's dressed out.
HiYoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 08:32 PM   #9
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
But for the Rabobank colors, it's just about perfect.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 08:50 PM   #10
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
very nice, good for you!!! Let's see it when it's dressed out.
I bought with the hope she'll fit. I'll initially build her with good enough quality to see how she rides/fits. I'll probably share the Nimble Spider wheels with my Miyata TT. If she's good I'll probably migrate to carbon seat post, DA derailleurs, and maybe STI. I may go with carbons bars or a TT setup - reusing the DA shifters. She'll be the most expensive build yet, but now I'll see if titanium is up to it's reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
But for the Rabobank colors, it's just about perfect.
I guess they're not as nice as many of the Colnago schemes but she appealed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
Nice couch. Was that included?
I caught grief from a number of people at work for that. A rather pleasant woman at work complimented it but my marital status precludes exploring any further.

Last edited by robtown; 11-10-08 at 08:54 PM.
robtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 09:25 PM   #11
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Nice frame. Next time you lock it up, lock the other parts too, they'll be harder to steal
Old 11-10-08, 09:54 PM   #12
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
Nice frame. Next time you lock it up, lock the other parts too, they'll be harder to steal
Yeh, they left me that nice large seat but it doesn't fit right.
Old 11-10-08, 11:38 PM   #13
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Since it's my size, you can ship it to me for evaluation.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 06:38 AM   #14
NOS88

Bikes:
Can't wait to hear how it rides and your impression of fit compared to your other bikes. I've read that a Colnago is designed to have a long stem with your weight hanging over the front wheel which places the two wheels more directly under you. It is reported that this makes for a very nimble yet stable ride. So, don't forget to fill us in on it's actual ride qualities when you can.
Old 11-11-08, 05:34 PM   #15
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Can't wait to hear how it rides and your impression of fit compared to your other bikes. I've read that a Colnago is designed to have a long stem with your weight hanging over the front wheel which places the two wheels more directly under you. It is reported that this makes for a very nimble yet stable ride. So, don't forget to fill us in on it's actual ride qualities when you can.

I've read that you're supposed to have the saddle set back also. I just hope it fits.

I picked her up today. She does show wear and tear on her paint but overall she'll add a bit of color to my stable. The seller also had an almost new Ultegra 9 speed STI set - that he sold me for $20! I also picked up some new 105 dual pivot brakes and a carbon seatpost today. TBP - a DA 9/10 rear derailleur from Ebay, braze on 9 speed front derailleur and chain from Nashbar.

For my Alan Shorter frame I picked up everything else in a $300 bundle. It's essentially a Campy Chorus 8 speed group with 8 speed Record Ergo shifters. The wheels have new rims and double butted spokes (32 count). I'm going to use the 44 Scott drop bar for the Colnago.