Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: 90 Years ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90 Years ago

Ninety years ago,today the First Great War ended. Today at the eleventh hour of this the eleventh day of the eleventh month,I Will Remember. LEST WE FORGET.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Grandfather served in WW-1, my father served in WW-2, I served in Viet Nam and my son is in Iraq. You know I will remember.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A heartfelt "thank you" to all who have served our country in the hour of need, both this and all generations that have gone before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the "war to end all wars".
    So... what happened?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mackerel View Post
    That was the "war to end all wars".
    So... what happened?
    Some people never got the memo.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gripping book about the last day of WWI; discusses how many commanders (from all sides) continued to push for last-minute gains despite the fact the war was "over."

http://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Month...6435126&sr=8-1

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad served in WWI in the Canadian Army, fighting in Belgium in the trenches for 4 bloody years.
    Average survival rate in trenches for a newcomer was 15 minutes.
    Wounded twice, buried alive once and gassed.
    His brother (my uncle) died on the 11th hour, 11th day of the 11th month 1918 when they were firing the last salvos into the German lines and his artillery piece exploded.
    War to end all wars?
    Personally survived 4 years of Nazi starvation in Europe in WWII and ended up on the other side with a *** in the Korean War.
    No, I don't like war.
    Wars are profit making opportunities for some and suffering/death for all others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Ninety years ago,today the First Great War ended. Today at the eleventh hour of this the eleventh day of the eleventh month,I Will Remember. LEST WE FORGET.
    I was in France once on Nov. 11. It is a serious holiday. They were picketing McDonalds because they were open.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Grandfather spent his WWI time training in the Army Air Corps in Texas, never got to combat. The other was an ambulance driver in France.

In WWII the ambulance-driving grandfather was back in the service as a Lt. Col. He was a petroleum geologist on the Canol project in Alaska. It was the original Alaskan pipeline. Apparently the road that was built for it can be ridden by bicycle in about 9 days.

My Dad was 4F and spent WWII at Columbia University where he went through an accelerated program and got his masters at 19.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

tcs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today at the eleventh hour of this the eleventh day of the eleventh month,I Will Remember.
    Like one WWI vet said, "Wished they'd made it the 11th year as well."

I enjoyed this book on WWI history.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been troubled by "holidays" such as Veteran's Day. It seems to me we should be remembering folks who have sacrificed for the benefit of others on a daily basis, not just once a year. It's too easy to pay lip service to the sacrifices made while thousands of vets struggle to fit back into society get decent health care, jobs, or even a place to live.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thousands more needlessly died because there was a decision that having all '11's would be cute.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200 and Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like many. My Grandfather served in WW1, my father in WW2, I served in Viet Nam. I adopted two girls so that at least at this point in time I could stop the madness. I say that with no disrespect for the wonderful guys I served with or those that my parent and grandparent remembered but as the only way to make sure I don't have any more friends that never will come home to thier parents. Please forgive me if I offend.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    My Grandfather served in WW-1, my father served in WW-2, I served in Viet Nam and my son is in Iraq. You know I will remember.
    I have the greatest respect for families like yours. I just wish your service (and especially your son's) weren't necessary.