Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

*****Report on 1 new thing you tried this year

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

*****Report on 1 new thing you tried this year

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 05:07 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assault on Mt Mitchell. Hoping next year it won't be near 100deg on the Blue Ridge Parkway!
Old 11-14-08, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I always told myself that I'd do RAGBRAI some day, and this was the year. The ride itself I liked, but a week of carnival atmosphere and 10-15000 other cyclists stretched my nerves to the limit. I like rides that are about the ride, and RAGBRAI is more about the party, with a ride coincidentally thrown in.

In the future, I'll stick to smaller tours, or if they're well-attended like that, make sure they're only a couple of days long.
Old 11-14-08, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Like Allegheny Jet, I ventured into bike racing this year. I completed 4 criteriums (major pucker moments), 3 road races (major fun) and 3 time trials, one tandem, two on the Diva. Despite the fear and puckerosity, I had great fun and hope to do it again, with improvements, next year.
Me too! I competed in enough races (6 crits, 5 road races, a few time trials and cebturies but they don't count) that I just upgraded to CAT4. Next season I will be able to race with the 55+ Masters! I have to admit that I was pretty proud of this - lost 25+ lbs as well.

Jim
Old 11-14-08, 09:25 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Red Rider,

You should try Cyclecross. Low pucker moments but a good chance to see the inside of your lungs! One half way into the race you ask yourself "why am I doing this?", then 5 minutes after the race you'll want to "have at it again".
I'll keep that in mind as I amend my Christmas gift wish list.
Old 11-14-08, 09:27 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
Me too! I competed in enough races (6 crits, 5 road races, a few time trials and cebturies but they don't count) that I just upgraded to CAT4. Next season I will be able to race with the 55+ Masters! I have to admit that I was pretty proud of this - lost 25+ lbs as well.

Jim
Congrats on CATing up! I'll be a CAT4ever, and I'm okay with that. Well done on the new age group as well as the weight loss. You should indeed be proud.
Old 11-14-08, 10:28 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

The only first that I can think of is racing on the track in a fun (charity) race last week. After training thousands of miles over the past 25 years on velodromes, I finally found a low-risk race to try. Did a team sprint (3-person) and 500 meter TT. Both were a lot of fun.

I was inspired by the race reports by Velo Diva and Hermes earlier this year.

I guess I will try more track racing next year. However, I will still stay away from the mass start events as I am still to chicken to try them.

After 30+ years of racing and riding seriously, there aren't too many firsts out there for me.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 11-15-08, 06:52 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I tried some new nutrional products-Accelerade, Heed and Endurox R4. The Accelerade and Heed were a complete bust for me. However, R4 is truly an incredible recovery product that somehow does some magical things post ride. I believe!! I believe!!
Old 11-15-08, 06:55 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Yen has not said we couldn't have multiple posts on new things we've tried........

So, I tried some bibs.......the only pair of bibs I'm using is a some of knickers I use on mild winter days. I still prefer non-bibs overall but they're not bad. They actually seem to provide some additional warmth on the upper body as well.
Old 11-16-08, 05:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Into Thick Air

I just noticed that Jim Malusa has a post in this thread. One of the new bike-related things I did this year was to read Jim's book, Into Thick Air,, about his bike trips to the lowest spots in the world. I highly recommend it (usual disclaimers--I don't know Jim, etc.). It's funny, smart, well-observed, well-written. Hard to imagine a bike lover or a fan of travel writing who wouldn't like it.

But reading Jim's book, buying my first new bike in a long time (see photo), and enjoying what this forum has to offer were part of being determined to get back into riding regularly and to keep at it as far into the cold weather as I could manage. That's the real new thing for this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB091608.jpg (99.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-16-08, 08:15 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
Hey Bev,

I tried bibs this year for the first time and I really love them. I learned something by trial and error that helps in the bathroom.....three words, FULL ZIP JERSEYS

Of course 99% of my jerseys are 1/2 zip SO...more shopping?
I'll give that a try. I have a couple full zip but seldom wear them. Guess it's time to drag them out of the back of the closet

Any reason for more shopping is great

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-16-08, 09:16 PM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New thing I went to this year

A full monococque carbon fibre bike.
Can a steel is real affecianato say this?
Best move I ever made in so far as my cycling effeciency.(and the ride is every bit as good as the 91 Paramount)

New thing Pt.2 44CM wide handlebars.
BikesDirect mistakenly shipped 44cms with the CF Moto.
They offered t take em back (even before the bike was out on the road)
I said:Let me try em.
600 miles into the riding season I installed 44cms on the 91 Paramount as well.
Goodbye pinched nerve in the shoulder blades and neck))
Old 11-21-08, 08:05 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I rode my first ever off-road ride yesterday. As I've reported in another thread, the Jamis Nova that has been my commuter since December 2004 underwent major surgery to remove all the commuting stuff. Surgery went well and the patient recovered so we went out to one of the local cyclocross courses/mtn bike trails and rode for about 1.5 hours. What a hoot.
I'm still not used to passing between trees or jumping over tree roots or some of the small drops I encountered. Had to hoist the bike on my shoulder twice to get up two short but steep hills. First time I've ever had to ride in the granny gear. Never used the large chainring, only the middle and small. My average speed for the ride was about half of what it usually is when I'm on my rode bike.
I don't know how those cross guys and gals do it. Must have something to do with age.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-21-08, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Brooks B67 saddle. The thing just feels so good. As the end of the day approaches, I really look forward to the hour ride home.

Paul
Old 11-21-08, 09:52 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by tsl
Aw, shucks. I'll accept the nomination, but only for those reasons, okay? Not for the accomplishment itself.
Let me second, or third, or whatever the nomination. And I'll add that I wish I had your mental and physical toughness to live car-free.

Old 11-21-08, 10:10 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Let me second, or third, or whatever the nomination. And I'll add that I wish I had your mental and physical toughness to live car-free.
I just wish I had his legs. Well not quite that much bulk but at least the form and strength.
Old 11-21-08, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, out of desperation and cleenex, and I launched my first ever snot rockets, but only somewhat successfully. Yeah, I nailed both arms of my jersey and one leg of my tights. I'll get it perfected... soon as the snow melts.

Sure beats having to stop and use cleenex every five minutes.
Old 11-23-08, 10:12 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did my first group rides this year. Quite scary at first, but it's become quite a thrilling way to ride!
Old 08-01-09, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gatorskins/ race skins/ thin skins

to protec tagainst flat tires.

real expensive and don't work very well.
Old 08-01-09, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I got a bike and started riding it for the first time in years and years.
Old 08-01-09, 05:14 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
I got a bike and started riding it for the first time in years and years.
Welcome!
Tell us more about yourself, your bike and your riding - you may want to open a new thread.
Old 08-01-09, 09:03 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
We got a tandem, learned to ride it, upgraded it, and took it to the Tennessee Tandem Rally in June. (yes, the timing chain is now tightened).

See one team's report here: https://www.nobrakesatl.com/2009/06/1...em-rally-2009/

Old 08-01-09, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi, I'm 51 but I can't believe it. I used to ride a lot but that was when I was 25 or so. I have ridden a little through the years but nothing at all in the recent past. I lived in Oklahoma for all of my life until I moved here to Santa Fe three years ago. It is great but Oklahoma is a little bit flatter! I have a Peugeot UO-18 which I got and refurbished at Chainbreakers Collective here in Santa Fe. It is a wonderful place. They have a bunch of bikes in various stages of disrepair and you pick one out. They have a few volunteer mechanics there who help you do the work of fixing it up yourself. I love my bike! The funny thing is that it is exactly the same bike that I bought when I graduated from high school in 1975. I had it for quite a few years but somehow it got away from me. Then I found this one which is the same model, same color, everything. Doohickie, on this forum, started a new blog about the wonderful mixte. If you look in his profile you can find the address of the blog. Anyway, he used my bike as the first entry. That was really exciting for me. Here's a picture of my bike: (I think it will come through anyway)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P7270282.jpg (99.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-02-09, 04:42 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
Hi, I'm 51 but I can't believe it. I used to ride a lot but that was when I was 25 or so. I have ridden a little through the years but nothing at all in the recent past. I lived in Oklahoma for all of my life until I moved here to Santa Fe three years ago. It is great but Oklahoma is a little bit flatter! I have a Peugeot UO-18 which I got and refurbished at Chainbreakers Collective here in Santa Fe. It is a wonderful place. They have a bunch of bikes in various stages of disrepair and you pick one out. They have a few volunteer mechanics there who help you do the work of fixing it up yourself. I love my bike! The funny thing is that it is exactly the same bike that I bought when I graduated from high school in 1975. I had it for quite a few years but somehow it got away from me. Then I found this one which is the same model, same color, everything. Doohickie, on this forum, started a new blog about the wonderful mixte. If you look in his profile you can find the address of the blog. Anyway, he used my bike as the first entry. That was really exciting for me. Here's a picture of my bike: (I think it will come through anyway)
Funny how your past sometimes catches up with you!
Old 08-02-09, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year I finally decided I'd earned it and bought a Ruby Expert.
Old 08-02-09, 08:25 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
1. Tricia and I went on a supported, but stay in your tent, bike tour. We rode Cycle Washington with Adventure Cycling.
Photos and too long a ride report at https://ccorlew.blogspot.com/
Bonus photo

2. Even though I've lived in the shadow of Mt. Diablo since 1963 I'd never tried to time myself going up. The NorCal forum folks put together a fun event with staggered start so we'd all finish (almost) together. I'd never tried to climb as hard as I can for 77 minutes. It was an experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.