Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig's List Bike Question

A Bruce Gordon touring bike is for sale on Craig's List. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/908027106.html It was hard enough to find a new bike that fit. Any pointers on buying a used bike? My Ruby has a compact frame, so I have no idea how to compare with a regular frame. This bike is a 54 cm, which is the size that the guys at Rivendell recommended for me in their A Homer Hilsen and Bleriot bikes. (They also recommended a 56 in the Mixte and 53 in the Atlantis and Saluki.)

Any help appreciated!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tru! That's a beauty.

Both my bikes are 54cm. I determined the size of the LHT by comparing the measurements against the Roubaix, and for me the 54cm is once again a good fit. If I remember correctly, I'm a few inches taller than you. The ad mentions the inseam... how does that measure up to yours? (That usually referrs to the measurement from the floor in bare feet, not the measurement of your favorite pair of jeans.)
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important measurement is the top tube length. Try to measure your bike and see how it compares to bikes you are looking at.. If you have a sloping top tube, measure from the center of the headset horizontally to the point where the seat tube intersects that line. This is called 'virtual top tube'.
    This is if your bike fits the way you like it.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if there's any magic other than doing what you're doing -- do enough research in advance to understand what sizes are likely to be appropriate. Personally my strategy is to know the range of size I *think* can fit and then go look at the bike and ride it if I'm really interested. Doesn't always work (a couple of the used bikes I bought were not in ridable condition when I bought them).

Given the price of this (beautiful) BG bike I'm assuming the owner would understand if you wanted to take it for a real test ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a beauty!
    I'd say stand over the top tube of your compact as close to the headtube as you can. Might give you any idea of the standover, anyway? And then go check it out. Why not?

Funny, I was just checking out Craig's List myself and found this old Schwinn
    Hmmm.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely worth a look and a test ride- but take pedals with you (See pic)

Check the spokes for tension by pinging them- If a dull thud- $20 per wheel to retrue

Brake blocks worn or old $ 20 a set to replace

Tyres with cracks showing age $30 per wheel to replace.

There s $100 off the asking price straight away. Plus anything else you can find.

Just test the thing and if you love it - beat the price down.

If you only like it-Tell him you have others to see- but see what he will accept

If if it not for you- walk away.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I misread the asking price as $220, about fell out of my chair and could not figure why fit would be an issue. <G>

At $2,200 minus dicker a long test ride is certainly in order.

On the dicker front, I was taught a simple procedure by a master. It goes something like this.
    1. Never mention any real or imagined flaws because it puts the seller on defense.
    2. Keep saying good things about the bike.
    3. Closely and very, very, very slowly and silently examine all real and imagined flaws but never say anything about them.
    4. I the seller says anything about flaws, just agree and minimize them.
    5. Repeat above until the seller is about frantic to figure out what you are doing.
    6. If pressed hard, your answer is, "I really like it, but have to decide about the money."
    7. Allow the seller to give you a huge discount to end the frustration.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone! Spoke with the owner, and he's 5'11", so we decided it was probably not going to fit. That, along with Yen's comments about a 54 cm being about right for her, and she's taller than I am. Hope someone comes along to give this wonderful bike a home.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.