Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Advice Requested

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Advice Requested

Old 10-20-11, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice Requested

I recently had a custom Indy Fab, a light-weight steel, made. My thought was to install electric Ultegra, as all the reviews I have read are promising. The problem is that that group won't be available until at least January. It's easy to assume that major parts suppliers and bicycle manufacturers will get the major attention from Shimano.
I am considering moving the Ultegra group from my current ride to the Indy. The idea is that I will install the electric when available and reinstall the manual group on my current ride, which I will continue to ride.
I guess the bottom line is that I am antsy to get on the new frame and see how it performs. The frame took over 5 months to receive, and I hate to see it sit around without knowing how it fits and performs.
Anybody have any ideas? Maybe I'm just not showing enough patience!
Old 10-20-11, 08:08 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
From the looks of your sig. you have plenty of bikes to ride while waiting for the Ultegra electronic group, plus we're going into Autumn, so unless you just enjoy the mechanical challenge of moving it all over . . . I'd just wait.

Having said that, I did try out the Ultegra electronic group at the Shimano stand at Interbike, so I definitely understand how you are a tad more than just anxious to get that group on the road. Plus, of course, IF makes great frames, so there's that too.

Big Picture: That's a wonderful problem to have!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-20-11, 06:21 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I was in a similar position a year ago. I bought a frameset but had to wait to buy the groupset.

I moved everything over from another bike, rode it that way for nine months, then when I bought the new stuff, I moved it all back. It's really no biggie.

And there's no better way to become intimately acquainted with your bike than to build it up yourself--twice.

EDIT: Oh, and before you start moving things, document the existing positioning on the donor bike. That way when you put everything back, it'll still fit.

Park Tool Road Positioning Chart

Don't ask how I learned this…

Last edited by tsl; 10-20-11 at 06:26 PM.