Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Annual 50+ Bike Forum Ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Annual 50+ Bike Forum Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 04:14 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Have any of us flatlanders got any ideas about training that would assist with altitude acclimatization? Glenwood is just a bit higher up than Denver, and when I moved there from St. Louis in my 30s I didn't find it too hard to continue my then-sedentary lifestyle. But the ride route(s) mostly take us to and over passes. Colorado mountain passes are anywhere from 9000 feet to 12,000 feet above sea level, and that is serious altitude.

I may be overthinking this, and if so, flame on, but I think I need to work toward endurance and altitude, if those are different.

Road Fan
Old 11-15-08, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I spent two weeks in Peru this summer, lots of hiking at very high elevations (10,000 +).

The Peruvian answer: chew on coca leaves.
The tourist answer: lots and lots of coca tea.

The BF 50+ Forum annual bike ride answer is obvious, isn't it?
Old 11-15-08, 04:25 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I spent two weeks in Peru this summer, lots of hiking at very high elevations (10,000 +).

The Peruvian answer: chew on coca leaves.
The tourist answer: lots and lots of coca tea.

The BF 50+ Forum annual bike ride answer is obvious, isn't it?
Chew on lots and lots of pie?
Old 11-15-08, 05:14 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Yen
Chew on lots and lots of pie?
LOL! That might help! I do think there are some less than legal ways to get the same effect as that of the coca leaves. They aren't quite the approach I'd want to take.
Old 11-15-08, 05:17 PM

Dnver, have you ever cycled in the Buena Vista area, around the Arkansas River? I've rafted there a lot, but never pedaled.
Old 11-15-08, 05:31 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The two easier rides, Rio Grande Trail and Glenwood Canyon will top out about 7,200 feet (Rio Grande) and 6,200 feet (Glenwood).

There really is not a lot you can do to train for altitude that I know of. Just being in great shape will help, which is why I think tsl did so well. It varies markedly from person-to-person in response.

There are a number of stages of altitude sickness, from headache all the way to HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema) and HACE (High Altitude Cerebral Edema), which are both life threatening.

However, they are rare and are more likely to happen above 10-11,000 feet.

I would just keep in shape, ride lots, and come here and have fun!

Drink LOTS, sleep well, and no alcohol (really).
Old 11-15-08, 05:31 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I may be overthinking this, and if so, flame on, but I think I need to work toward endurance and altitude, if those are different.
From my experience, you're not overthinking it any more than I did.

Endurance was essential for me, since the bulk of my riding is ten miles or less in stop-and-go traffic. I really had to work at endurance. That work was more of a scheduling matter than a cycling matter.

I substituted building aerobic capacity for altitude. Using my HRM as a guide, I worked in the aerobic capacity building range as much as possible. As I saw improvements there, I added in work at the anaerobic threshold (AT), hoping I could boost that.

I wasn't able to move AT higher (as measured by the HRM), but over time I was able to ride longer periods at, and ever so slightly below, threshold. I think that was the key, since it taught my body how to perform with less oxygen that it really wanted.

As for climbing, Rochester is flat. We're on the ancient bottom of Lake Ontario. A really big hill here is a half-mile long to climb a mere 150 feet. I did repeats on it, but I found what really helped was getting out of town, south of the city into the hills there. Then riding long hills. We have nothing like Colorado, but I found a couple of two and three-milers at 4% to 6% that helped me a lot.

But also bear in mind that at BikeJournal Reunion, most of the riders were 50+, and most did *not* train as I did. And only 25% rode the hard stuff like I did. Still, even those who stuck to suburban bike paths, and those who were only slightly more adventurous and rode the flatlands rides, all had a wonderful time too.

DF's original suggestions are just that--rail/trail bike paths that anyone can ride. I double-checked with one of the Club Hypoxia riders and he wrote back,
both trails are paved, extremely flat (by any standards, not Colorado standards), and just about as picturesque as one can find on a flat Colorado bike trail.

Neither ride is bragworthy (by Colorado Cyclist standards), but both are prime biking real estate because they're so pretty and anyone can ride them.
It's only the subsequent rides DF posted that may require that a lowlander/flatlander do some training.

And of course, you'll have to drive (or in my case ride the Amtrak) over some high passes and the Continental Divide to get there, but Glenwood Springs is at only 5,782 feet ASL. Not yet green-bottle territory.

EDIT: One thing that I think is overlooked is air quality. Here in the east, we may have more oxygen, but the air is sodden with humidity. I found it much easier to breathe the drier, western air, despite the reduced oxygen content due to altitude.

Last edited by tsl; 11-15-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 05:35 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Dnver, have you ever cycled in the Buena Vista area, around the Arkansas River? I've rafted there a lot, but never pedaled.
No.

My brother-in-law lives in BV, but I have never cycled there. A favorite is Cottonwood Pass over to the Crested Butte area. Gorgeous and a TOUGH climb. Paved on the BV side, gravel on the CB side.
Old 11-15-08, 05:39 PM

Bikes: madone 5.1, lemond croix de fer, fuji touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
count me in. let's set the date ASAP so we can all get the time off.
paul
Old 11-15-08, 05:41 PM
Banned.

'DF's original suggestions are just that--rail/trail bike paths that anyone can ride. I double-checked with one the the Club Hypoxia riders and he wrote back,"

So you didn't believe me and had to check with someone else. Hmph!!
Old 11-15-08, 06:15 PM

Thanks, TSL, looks like I'm off-base about the passes.

In terms of HR zones, what did you do to build aerobic capacity? I use the Friel zones, where my AT occurs at the boundary of Zones 4 and 5, about 87% of Max HR.

I'm thinking if I can train up to a reasonable Michigan century on my local rolling amd longer northern Michigan hills, I'll get a real good workout all the way from Zone 2 (72 thru 79%) and on ascents above AT. Then the higher altitude rides of half that distance should not be a problem. Or do Ohio a lot in a windstorm.

Dry air implies more moisture loss through breath, so carry more water, laced with the performance enhancers of my choice (need a cheap source of coca leaves, I guess!!).
Old 11-15-08, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
'DF's original suggestions are just that--rail/trail bike paths that anyone can ride. I double-checked with one the the Club Hypoxia riders and he wrote back,"

So you didn't believe me and had to check with someone else. Hmph!!
I've learned to observe and appreciate the efforts others put in as they get their minds around all the details of ideas I float out to them. It's a source of enjoyment watching people teach themselves. It's a good thing.

Road Fan
Old 11-15-08, 06:21 PM
Banned.

Attendance and Dates:

Please respond:

YES I WOULD LIKE TO COME: SCREEN NAME

Number of people I will bring:

Weekend or not, or extended weekend?

Number of days I would plan to be in Glenwood:

How many days would you like the "official" part of the BF ride to be. I.e., we could all meet on one specific day for a "howdy" and an easy ride, and perhaps dinner together, and folks could make their own arrangements with each other depending on time available challenges desired, etc., from then on or prior to that date.

1. Weekend - August 29, 30 and the 31st is a Monday??

2. During the week, Monday August 31, Sept 1, etc.?

3. Labor Day Weekend (Labor Day is Sept 7) Sept 5, 6, 7 weekend.

4. During the week right after Labor Day - Sept 8, 19, 10 etc.?

5. Second weekend is the 12th, 13th, 14th is a Monday.

Please help us out here about your specific desires, and then I might post some sort of "final" poll from the dates suggested.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-15-08 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 06:42 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES I WOULD LIKE TO COME: Yen
# of people I will bring: 1 (Hubby)
Weekend or not / extended weekend: Doesn't matter
# days plan to be in Greenwood: Depends on the agenda; at least 1 day before main ride and 1 day after.
The "official" part: I like the way you stated it, with a "howdy" gathering and easy social ride and dinner together. It would be nice if everyone is together on the long "big" ride as well, with those who choose to can pick a more challenging route. The most important part (to me) is to meet and ride with as many attendees as possible.
Old 11-15-08, 07:34 PM
mud
Lurker

Bikes: 07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"5. Second weekend is the 12th, 13th, 14th is a Monday."
These dates would be best for me.
Old 11-15-08, 07:39 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES I WOULD LIKE TO COME: Beverly

# of people I will bring: Just me

Weekend or not / extended weekend: Doesn't matter - just not Labor Day weekend

# days plan to be in Greenwood: That would depend on the agenda. I would plan to arrive the day before the event and leave the day after. I like the trail riding but would probably pass on mountain climbing I'm up to longer rides.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-15-08, 07:46 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, plan on coming.

Weekend would be best: Aug 29-30 first choice. Sep 12-13 is second. Ok to extend and include Monday. Even labor day would work.

# people: me +1

Days in Glenwood: probably two, and maybe three. Night before and night of ride definitely. Will narrow down as date gets closer. We have our favorite lodging place in Glenwood.

How many days? whatever works best, at least one big day common ride.
Old 11-15-08, 08:04 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, count me in. TSL

Just me. And the Portland, of course. We're willing to split a room at the hotel.

Two or three days in GSC would be fine. I'd make this part of a larger trip with extra days at either Grand Junction (I understand Colorado National Monument is a superlative ride) or back with my Club Hypoxia buddies in Ft. Collins and Loveland.

My preferences for dates, in order, are: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3

Last edited by tsl; 11-15-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 09:41 PM
Banned.

Just a thought for those of you coming to Glenwood, assuming we pull this off.

There is so much to see and do in the area and nearby that, if you are making the trip, you might want to stay several days.

I could spend a week there, easily.

** The HUGE outdoor hot springs pool is a big attraction. Actually several pools with varying degrees of hot water.

** Trips to Redstone, Paonia, Hotchkiss go through beautiful country - driving in a car is fine.

** Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction is a most unique ride or drive with sharp 1,000 foot drops off the cliffs and a great road through the area.

** You won't want to miss Vail and Vail Pass, and biking on the great bike path in this area.

Etc., etc.

Just a thought.
Old 11-16-08, 12:26 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Put me down as a definite yes-no-maybe. If the timing and the finances work out, it sounds like fun. I floated the idea past my wife, and she was agreeable to the idea - as long as we include some non-bicycling activities during our stay.
Old 11-16-08, 12:58 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just a thought for those of you coming to Glenwood, assuming we pull this off.

There is so much to see and do in the area and nearby that, if you are making the trip, you might want to stay several days.

I could spend a week there, easily.

** The HUGE outdoor hot springs pool is a big attraction. Actually several pools with varying degrees of hot water.

** Trips to Redstone, Paonia, Hotchkiss go through beautiful country - driving in a car is fine.

** Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction is a most unique ride or drive with sharp 1,000 foot drops off the cliffs and a great road through the area.

** You won't want to miss Vail and Vail Pass, and biking on the great bike path in this area.

Etc., etc.

Just a thought.
I spent a lot of time in the pools when I lived there, more in the winter than the summer. The hot pool is very restorative. I especially liked soaking in that pool when snow fell. It collected in my hair but never caused a chill.

The Flat Tops is just north of Glenwood Springs; I used to ride my horse up there and camp all the time. It's a beautiful place to 4-wheel, an expansive park that has been left largely unimproved and undeveloped. (This is as of 1979.)

Just another option for you who are spending more than a few days in the area.
Old 11-16-08, 01:41 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Lots of if's at present time- Like money -Job and transport

I would like to be able to come- date doesn't matter- providing I can get cheap accomodation and flight for aweek or so.

So Mark me as a possible.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-16-08, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES I WOULD LIKE TO COME: Dellphinus

Number of people I will bring: 1, maybe 2.

Weekend or not, or extended weekend? ext weekend,

Number of days I would plan to be in Glenwood: 2

How many days would you like the "official" part of the BF ride to be. I.e., we could all meet on one specific day for a "howdy" and an easy ride, and perhaps dinner together, and folks could make their own arrangements with each other depending on time available challenges desired, etc., from then on or prior to that date.

1. Weekend - August 29, 30 and the 31st is a Monday?? this would work

2. During the week, Monday August 31, Sept 1, etc.? this would work

3. Labor Day Weekend (Labor Day is Sept 7) Sept 5, 6, 7 weekend. this would work

4. During the week right after Labor Day - Sept 8, 19, 10 etc.? NO MS150 comign up

5. Second weekend is the 12th, 13th, 14th is a Monday. NO- MS150 weekend
Old 11-16-08, 10:03 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Lots of if's at present time- Like money -Job and transport

I would like to be able to come- date doesn't matter- providing I can get cheap accomodation and flight for aweek or so.

So Mark me as a possible.
I hope you can work out those "ifs"

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-16-08, 10:19 AM

Attendance and Dates:

Please respond:

YES I WOULD LIKE TO COME: SCREEN NAME

Number of people I will bring:

Weekend or not, or extended weekend?

Number of days I would plan to be in Glenwood:

1. Weekend - August 29, 30 and the 31st is a Monday??

2. During the week, Monday August 31, Sept 1, etc.?

3. Labor Day Weekend (Labor Day is Sept 7) Sept 5, 6, 7 weekend.

4. During the week right after Labor Day - Sept 8, 19, 10 etc.?

5. Second weekend is the 12th, 13th, 14th is a Monday.

Please help us out here about your specific desires, and then I might post some sort of "final" poll from the dates suggested.
YES I WOULD LIKE TO COME: Road Fan
People attend with me: Up to two more (Mrs. Road Fan and my Denver cousin)

Dates: flexible at this point.

Would attend ride dates plus 2 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.