Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annual 50+ Bike Forum Ride?

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by vger285 View Post
    I would like to ride with everyone on this bike forum, just one time!
    Sounds like fun.

BFN 50+ First Annual Ride - Monday, August 31

BikeJournals.com has an annual ride (which I believe tsl attended this year) to which a lot of folks manage to find their way. I believe that they move it around to different parts of the country. Club Hypoxia (started from BJ) here in CO was the host this year.

I have ridden with them a couple of times in many years past.

The 50+ forum could also have a ride.

May I suggest the Rio Grande Trail from Glenwood Springs to Aspen and return, following the Roaring Fork River, about next September? - 2009.

http://www.rfta.com/RGT_Map%20_final.pdf

A beautiful 44 mile one-way trail (88 miles round trip) that just about anyone could ride,

From a recent review:
    New and Improved!
    By keith.dickerson on June 11, 2008
    This trail has grown! The trail is now 40 miles or so, stetching from Glenwood Springs, through Carbondale, then onto Basalt and Aspen. Paving with asphalt for the northern 30 miles or so has just been completed, with a Grand Opening ceremony later this month. The first couple of miles north of Carbondale and the 10 miles south from Carbondale are pristine, following the Roaring Fork river for much of the time, with very few road crossings. There is a gorgeous bridge crossing the Roaring Fork just north of Carbondale. I've ridden numerous rail-trails over the years, and this trail ranks right up there with the best of the best at this point!

Plus, there is also the trail from Glenwood through BEAUTIFUL Glenwood Canyon following the rugged Colorado River that can go on up to Edwards, etc. (32 miles round trip).

http://www.coloradobicyclerides.com/...nyonTrail.html

I am thinking of a ride that would be totally inclusive for just about anyone to ride, yet allow for those wanting more challenges to have that opportunity in addition.

There are myriads of very challenging rides in the area.

Independence Pass, Grand Mesa (both extremely challenging), Vail and Vail Pass, etc., etc.

Lots of moderately priced motels in the GS area, plus fancier ones.

Also, river rafting, the world's largest hot springs pool, caverns, hiking and many other activities.

http://www.colorado.com/GlenwoodSprings.aspx

For those interested, there is a 6 hour gorgeous train ride through the mountains and along the Colorado River from Denver to Glenwood. Glenwood is about 2.5 hours and 150 miles west by car from Denver.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-14-08 at 01:37 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DF--

I'm for it. Dashing off to work now, will have more later.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a fun ride to me. Not sure I could make one in Denver but I sure would try
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great time. I have not been in Colorado since 1978, and the wife has never been there. It would be great to travel but the finances may be a hinderance, I will try my best to make something like this.
    09 Specialized Crosstrail Elite
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live in Glenwood Springs. I rode my orange K-Mart 10 speed special to Carbondale, Redstone, and once to Paonia. There were no bike trails to Aspen, nor room for bikes along I-70 and the canyon. That's terrific to see how accommodating the government has become.

It looks like a lovely ride.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I used to live in Glenwood Springs. I rode my orange K-Mart 10 speed special to Carbondale, Redstone, and once to Paonia. There were no bike trails to Aspen, nor room for bikes along I-70 and the canyon. That's terrific to see how accommodating the government has become.

It looks like a lovely ride.
    It is accommodating, but it is also $$$$ - a lot of it - for the towns in the area. It has made summer almost as lucrative as the winter ski seasons for these resort towns.

Bicycling is BIG in Colorado.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In-laws live in Grand Junction, so there is a reasonable chance I could make a September week-end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Independence Pass - this is NOT me! Aspen to Leadville (58.51 miles one-way)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-14-08 at 08:58 AM.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good ride. The beautiful and relatively flat 32 or 40 mile route with challenging side possibilities would appeal to a wide variety of riders.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Looks like a good ride. The beautiful and relatively flat 32 or 40 mile route with challenging side possibilities would appeal to a wide variety of riders.
    The 32 miles is round trip, the 44 miles is one-way, for a total of 88 miles round trip. BUt, you can do whatever length one might like. My wife did 20 miles each day on different sections on the RFT. ABout 25 miles is her one-day limit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is where we stayed in September, this year.

Basic, non-luxury but very clean "drive-up" motel. We paid $70 per night.

http://www.glenwoodmotorinn.com/

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to. How hot is it there that time of year? Here, it's usually a furnace.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My maternal grandparents grew up in New Castle CO, where my great-grandfather, John Ritter, co-owned the now-historic Ritter & MacRae General Store. My grandmother began her nursing career in Glenwood Springs. I have never made a family roots pilgrimage.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea and a great place to ride. The weather is usually outstanding that time of year. If the ride is scheduled, you can count me in.

I've spent most of my riding "career" in Alaska and while that was certainly an adventure, I now spend my time riding in Colorado and New Mexico where the weather is fantastic. I really enjoy riding in the Glenwood Springs area. The new RG trail looks great.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually this sounds like a great idea. I would think it would have to be scheduled on a weekend. If it on a weekend, I'd be game to join in.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never ridden in CO so it sounds good to me!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I've never ridden in CO so it sounds good to me!

Rick / OCRR
    Rick, given the kinds of super-long rides *you* take, I won't be surprised if you just bike there from home.

BB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I'd love to. How hot is it there that time of year? Here, it's usually a furnace.
    September - generally fairly cool, could be a blizzard, could be hot. But, that's Colorado.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Mesa is west of Glenwood, between GW and Grand Junction. The route up to Grand Mesa (the largecst flat top mesa in the world) from I-70 is a tremendously challenging upgrade, often featured in the Ride the Rockies bicycle tour. Grand Mesa is at about 10,000 feet, so you have about a 5,000 elevation change.

Here are some pictures of the Grand Mesa area which I found on the web.

http://www.struck.us/BikePics/BikeStories03.html

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea!! I had a feeling you would finally put something together for us!! I can probably make something like that work with some planning. I have played golf in Aspen and Snomass so I'd probably also plan to bring my clubs along and do the dualthon thing........Can you put together some other possible routes in the area folks could tack on?

The Aspen to Leadville route sounds intriguing-I've driving up the pass in a car and can remember some stone walls along the side of the road?? Is September "too late" in the season (increase the chances of foul weather)? I was there in October and we had several inches of snow.....but it melted the next day.

Will there be a singing class??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Copper Triangle is extremely popular, - three high passes. Here is a profile and route from an annual ride. Bring your own aid stations!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there is the Grand Mesa Loop - 136 miles

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...tion/296955312

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-14-08 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We couldn't possibly make it untill the twins graduate college, someday.
    I will however, be looking foreward to reading the reports and viewing
    the pictures from the gathering.

Happy Trails

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, funny thing is my membership renewal for Bicycle Colorado arrived earlier this week. I tossed it in the "forget it" pile. I guess I'll renew. I wonder how many New York State residents they have on the membership roster?

Anyway, I'm in--provided we can use Glenwood Springs as a home base for the event. As you may recall, I'm car-free and use Amtrak for my long-haul travel. Glenwood Springs is a checked-baggage stop, so I can ride door-to-door with the bike in the baggage car.

It would be helpful too, if something could be firmed-up by January or February. I need to schedule major vacations six months in advance. Plus travel arrangements for all are cheaper the earlier you're able to book.

What worked really well at the BikeJournal Reunion in Loveland this past summer, was that there were rides for everyone's preferences and fitness levels. Yeah, I talk about The Epic Century, but only a quarter of us chose that one as our feature ride. I also enjoyed all the other riding I did, including the flatlands and bike paths.

With the rides DF is proposing so far, that same sort of variety seems to be developing. I encourage it.

As for the cycling, I found Colorado to be spectacular. I'm excited by the prospect of being able to return and explore another part of the state. I had been planning to join a tour of Montana and Alberta. I'll gladly scrap those plans for this.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would a hard one-day drive for me to get there. I would only show up if someone else brings the wine. Otherwise, I might just go to the Hill Country while you guys are cavorting in the cool.

I might bring a bike.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast