Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Does it count? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/486553-does-count.html)

Robert Foster 11-14-08 10:44 PM

Does it count?

Today I managed to ride 50 miles with our club. Turns out from my house then back to my house it was 60 miles. I then changed out of my kit and jumped on my Revive and put on just over two miles to play with my table tennis club. So do I get to count a half-century, a metric century and my age all in one day? Even if it doesn’t I came close. At the end of the ride my feet hurt and my back was a bit sore but I felt good.

Doohickie 11-14-08 10:47 PM

Count for whom? If you did all that, take credit if you want.

DnvrFox 11-14-08 10:55 PM

The fun thing about cycling is that YOU get to choose what counts.

Robert Foster 11-14-08 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 7854706)
Count for whom? If you did all that, take credit if you want.

The question or remark was a bit of hyperbole by me. I know how I feel about the miles today I was just sharing. As I get more used to riding I can see little things that will make things easier. My Saddle is good for more the 50 miles but I am not sure about much more than that. My sixsixone dulleys with rat traps are fine but at about 45 miles the feet hurt a bit so I may need to reconsider going clipless. If I continue at the pace I am going I may try my first century in February. The club is going out for the Palm Springs Century. This was just my first day after getting back into cycling that I have gone more than 45 miles. It is also about ten times farther than I could ride in DNVRFOX's back yard.

cranky old dude 11-15-08 02:17 AM

It all counts. Bask in the warm glow of succes!! :thumb:

BluesDawg 11-15-08 07:34 AM

WTG! :thumb:

Trsnrtr 11-15-08 07:51 AM

In the Summer, I often ride 30-50 miles in the morning and then 30-40 miles with the club in the evening. At the end of the day, I enter the sum in a spread sheet, like 60-90 in this case. So, my answer is, of course, it counts. :)

momof4greatkids 11-15-08 08:44 AM

Certificate of Achievement

Robert Foster

Official Finisher
Metric Century 2008

Now go have yourself a beer, you deserve it!:thumb:

stapfam 11-15-08 08:50 AM

60 miles on a computer that has not been calibrated sounds close enough to me. But it is the table tennis that worries me. If you had energy enough for a couple of hours of another sport- Why didn't you do an Imperial Century?

Robert Foster 11-15-08 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7855917)
60 miles on a computer that has not been calibrated sounds close enough to me. But it is the table tennis that worries me. If you had energy enough for a couple of hours of another sport- Why didn't you do an Imperial Century?

You are a Hard man stapfam. That was a bit like what my wife asked. I didn’t realize how many miles I was going to ride Friday so I didn’t tell the table tennis club I would be gone. I don’t know if you have ever watched “The Pirates of Penzance” but it is a bit like the lead character and his sense of duty. They are trying to build the club and when I miss they call to see if I am all right. Once I joined the table tennis club I knew they played twice a week, Monday and Friday so I feel a bit obligated unless I tell them I will be gone ahead of time. I also am not sure I am ready for a full century.

Retro Grouch 11-15-08 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7855917)
Why didn't you do an Imperial Century?

Wouldn't that be a metric century as opposed to "imperial" meaning British Imperial weights and measures?

Since we're discussing rules, does it still count as an imperial century if one rides on the right side of the road? That's not the way that the imperialist Brits do it.

stapfam 11-15-08 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 7856216)
Wouldn't that be a metric century as opposed to "imperial" meaning British Imperial weights and measures?

Since we're discussing rules, does it still count as an imperial century if one rides on the right side of the road? That's not the way that the imperialist Brits do it.

Britain saw sense a couple of years ago and although they tried to impose the metric system on us- the Great british public eventually made the politicians see sense and allow the Imperial system to run along side of it. BUT a couple of things have stuck. Sugar that used to be sold by the 2lb bag was under the new system a 1 kg bag. So instead of asking for a 2.2lb bag of sugar- you now ask for a bag of sugar. Loose items used to be sold in lbs or fractions of- but can you tell me what a 125grammes of freshly cut ham looks like?- The scales still measured in LBS aswell so if you asked for a 1/4 of Ham- (1/4 of a lb) you got a 1/4 of ham but the weight on the label was stated in Grammes.

So we might buy gas in litres- but still work out MPG.

But one thing will never change- Beer is sold in pints. 660 cl is not the same.

Just bring back LSD and we will all be happy. (The pre- metric money system of Pounds-Shillings and Pence- normally shown as £sd but said as LSD.)

The advantage of the Imperialistic brits is that we can do our own thing- and allow the the rest to do whatever they want at the same time. Just face it- we have to. We can no longer dictate to the rest of the world what they should be doing- We leave that To G.W.B; or in future to B.O.

And Robert- Well done on the metric- but take arest for a couple of days- Don't want you getting tired for the game on monday.

BengeBoy 11-15-08 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Foster (Post 7854962)
As I get more used to riding I can see little things that will make things easier. My Saddle is good for more the 50 miles but I am not sure about much more than that. My sixsixone dulleys with rat traps are fine but at about 45 miles the feet hurt a bit so I may need to reconsider going clipless.

These are insightful observations.

My personal experience with equipment and apparel has been then certain things that work on 20 mile rides get annoying past 40 miles. Then you dial in, and find out that past 60 miles they don't work any more. Past 80 miles, there may be another problem.

If you fix everything that bothers you on a 60 mile ride you'll likely find your 20 mile rides become a piece of cake.

Retro Grouch 11-15-08 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7856349)
Sugar that used to be sold by the 2lb bag was under the new system a 1 kg bag. So instead of asking for a 2.2lb bag of sugar- you now ask for a bag of sugar.

That'll NEVER happen in the US.

If (when) we officially convert to the metric system a 2lb bag of sugar will weigh only 850 (or so) grams.

BengeBoy 11-15-08 01:47 PM

I'm completely confused; it thought you bought *petrol* in litres? :)

When I lived in London the only thing that bothered me was figuring my weight in stone (many).

Oh, and the other thing, was getting paid in a third world currency (dollars) when all of my expenses were in Sterling.

Robert Foster 11-15-08 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 7856536)
These are insightful observations.

My personal experience with equipment and apparel has been then certain things that work on 20 mile rides get annoying past 40 miles. Then you dial in, and find out that past 60 miles they don't work any more. Past 80 miles, there may be another problem.

If you fix everything that bothers you on a 60 mile ride you'll likely find your 20 mile rides become a piece of cake.

One of our club riders works at our LBS and I have bought two bikes from him. He keeps telling me that a good pair of bike shoes will make a big improvement in my riding enjoyment. He knows I have always been concerned about walking in bike specific shoes so he is pointing me in the direction of SPDs. The saddle was simply something that took some adjustment and perseverance to get used to. However I will be testing a Selle SMP in a week or so and may be changing saddles sooner. However I will have to wait on some upgrades because I just upgraded my wheels.

CB HI 11-15-08 03:36 PM

Only if I can count 100 miles as a double century.

Metric century within english century = double century

Jet Travis 11-15-08 04:07 PM

Back in the old days, I bought an imperial gallon of gasoline in Canada. Being 20 percent larger than the American gallon, I assumed it meant I should be able drive 20 percent faster, but the police officer didn't buy my explanation, and I got a ticket, anyway.

BlazingPedals 11-15-08 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 7856216)

I'd count 62 miles total as a metric. It's ironic, isn't it, that we refer to 100 miles as an imperial century, but the Imperials are using that funky French system of measurement? I think it has something to do with counting on their toes. :lol:

stapfam 11-16-08 01:25 AM

Got to put you lot right

We do not use the metric system for milage. We still work in miles.

It is only the youngsters that work in the Metric system- but those of us that can adapt will be able to use the metric and imperial units of measure at the same time.

So 25.4 mm = 1" and 100 mm = a hand.

I weigh 65 Kg.s or 10 1/2 stone. But have to convert to lbs so that the rest of you know what I am talking about

My height is 5'6" and I don't give a damn what it is in metric.

And a 1lb pack of sausages will contain 8 sausages that weigh 2 oz each. Under the metric system- I get am still hungry after my normal 2 sausages but 3 will be too much- Unless they are merguez and a 1 kg pack bought from France doesn't last very long.

But the Metric century is always about 65 miles over here on the organised rides- just in case your computer is a bit out and a century ride (Imperial of course) always seems to be done in bad weather- just so you can remember it.

stapfam 11-16-08 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Foster (Post 7857308)
One of our club riders works at our LBS and I have bought two bikes from him. He keeps telling me that a good pair of bike shoes will make a big improvement in my riding enjoyment. He knows I have always been concerned about walking in bike specific shoes so he is pointing me in the direction of SPDs. The saddle was simply something that took some adjustment and perseverance to get used to. However I will be testing a Selle SMP in a week or so and may be changing saddles sooner. However I will have to wait on some upgrades because I just upgraded my wheels.

Cycling specific shoes will be better for Cycling than a pair of trainers. The sole if very stiff and that makes for better pedalling efficiency and more foot comfort. You do not have to go clipless to use the SPD shoe and it is the shoe that will improve eficiency and comfort.

However- going clipless is the next stage up for improvement and I would suggest that this is the route you look for as your next couple of upgrades- first the shoes and then the pedals.

And don't worry about Club Tombay- its only blood and pain and you can get over that

Retro Grouch 11-16-08 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7859905)
And don't worry about Club Tombay- its only blood and pain and you can get over that

DON'T WORRY ABOUT CLUB TOMBAY?

Stapfam, I'm utterly ashamed of you! Club Tombay membership is a unique honor. An achievement to be envied by the poor souls who don't qualify. Pity poor Deege trying to claim membership on the basis of his girl friend's fall. The shame of it all.

Don't worry about Club Tombay indeed! You'll have to do penance for this.

Robert Foster 11-16-08 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 7860141)

Stapfam, I'm utterly ashamed of you! Club Tombay membership is a unique honor. An achievement to be envied by the poor souls who don't qualify. Pity poor Deege trying to claim membership on the basis of his girl friend's fall. The shame of it all.

Well Stepfan has addressed a concern I have had when considering this up grade. I have only watched one rider during a club ride fall because of the shoes and pedals and that was twice in one day. But I didn’t realize I could first get the shoes and then later get the pedals. But now I remember that the SPD shoes I have looked at had a small rubber cover that was attached over the holes for the cleats. I think I will give that a try.

stapfam 11-16-08 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 7860141)

I humbly apoligise for my error in denegrating the status of Club Tombay. It is a great honour to be nominated for this fgellowship of like minded riders. What I should have said was-Do not worry about the qualification to Club Tombay. That will come sooner than you may want it to.

Originally Posted by Robert Foster (Post 7860878)
Well Stepfan has addressed a concern I have had when considering this up grade. I have only watched one rider during a club ride fall because of the shoes and pedals and that was twice in one day. But I didn’t realize I could first get the shoes and then later get the pedals. But now I remember that the SPD shoes I have looked at had a small rubber cover that was attached over the holes for the cleats. I think I will give that a try.

DG did it and so have several other members- They got the shoes and wore them in before getting onto his bike with them. In fact-DD met DG at the disco and it was the Sidi's that attracted her to him. She recognised Class straight away.

SaiKaiTai 11-16-08 02:51 PM

Counts in my book, yeah... when I did my metric a couple of weeks ago (has it really been 2 weeks?) I took a couple of breaks that were probably as long as you took to change your clothes.