Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was just... magical

We've got an offshore flow going on here for the next couple of days
    When the wind blows east to west, life on the coast is warm, blue and beautiful, especially for November!

But, being November, the sun sets at 5 o'clock
    As I watched the sky deepen and the lowering sun paint the hillside windows in flames...
    As I sat there with a belly loaded down with the carne asada burrito I had for lunch, I knew I had to get out
    And, since I bought my Giant in March, it's never had a night ride. Yeah, that matters to me.
    It was also my first ride after dark this year (well, since January or February, anyway).
    So, I set off for a leisurely ride down to the muni pier... wow! A leisurely ride two days in a row.
    I think I could get used to that.

I got to the pier just as the horizon was aglow with golden light darkening to ambers and oranges as the underside of the clouds were painted crimson. The sky above it faded through every gloruis shade of blue known to the deepening black overhead and to the east.

The Pacific had that dark textured steely blue/black that you only get when the sky darkens and the sun come from long and low on the horizon. The children running along the promenade were back lit silouettes with the yellow of the dying sun behind them. The waves endlessly, tirelessly, languidly rolling in and breaking in a high crash of spray and mist.

I rolled on to the next valley just as it got dark. No more light or golds or turquoises. I headed for home cocooned by dark, with only my Dinotte and the interspersed streetlamps to go by.

I got home, at peace and happy. Riding at night is a special time. I guess I had forgotten.

And I still love that Giant.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beautiful sunset, a warm calm night and a bike. What more could a
    guy possibly ask for?

PICTURES

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    A beautiful sunset, a warm calm night and a bike. What more could a
    guy possibly ask for?

PICTURES
    +1

It's not the ocean but it is a sunset, cranky
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pictures of a sunset- but my memorable sunrise was a Mid Summers day when we left home to be at the local "Long Man of Wilmington" at Sunrise.See attachment. The Long man is a Carving in the chalk on the south downs and "apparantly"- Has ancient briton connections. Except no-one can find proof of its existance before the Victorian Era (Mid 1850's to 1900) . All I can say is the path to the top is long and hard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    We've got an offshore flow going on here for the next couple of days
    When the wind blows east to west, life on the coast is warm, blue and beautiful, especially for November!
    That usually means brush fire here in SoCal like we're having some this morning.

I rode into work this morning and it was already 80 degrees at 8am in L.A. It's going to be a miserable mid day commute back home but a great evening for smoking some pork loin.....
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.