Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crushed frame......

I guess the tombstone could read.......Inside these two lids lies a Trek 5900 that has been good to it's owner........

One of my carbon fiber bikes is now packed between the crushed foam pads in my new Trico Sports Ironcase. Hopefully packed safely for the plane trip to Tucson this week. I have to say it was a really queasy feeling tightening the nylon straps and squeezing the two lids together. Unlike my suitcase I resisted the urge to get on top of it and sit on it to push them even closer together!

It was a little more work that I had anticipated but nothing too major. After all, I'm pretty good at taking stuff apart-it's just getting stuff to fit back together where I've always been challenged!!!!

I just had to remove the wheels......the pedals.......the seat post and saddle........the handlebars.........and then the stem at the last minute. I must have a longer stem than normal (at least as anticipated by the instructions) as I just didn't like it sticking up between the lids. It seemed like it could have had too much pressure applied to it.

I had to fiddle with the rear fork spreader they provided-it was barely long enough-actually had to leave a washer off to get it to work. But at least it is situated where hopefully the forks can't compress together.

For now I'm glad I went with the Ironcase-I use the larger frames and while this one wasn't my largest, it would be a struggle to get my 62 in it.

My biggest concern was the cable and housing coming out the back of the Rear Derailleur. It is just sticking up unsupported and out the back pretty close to the lid. I came close to just taking it loose but wound up packing it the way it was.

Thankfully, I did remember to remove the CO2 cartridges from my saddle bag........and pack the tools needed to put it back together. But then again isn't that just another reason for our dear ol LBS's!!

Now-here's hoping it all makes it to Tucson still intact.

The case itself seems to be decent. It has wheels, a place to lock the lids together and wide nylon straps. From what I read the nylon strap handle can hurt your hand (suggested using a bike glove) and the plastic clips can certainly be easily damaged by improper handling. The total weight with my bike was 48 pounds.

Now I just have to pack my golf bag and clubs in it's protective case. And my suitcase. Unfortunately the Ironcase got here 1-2 days after the window I needed to ship it to the hotel in Tucson so it is flying with me.

Since I'm only blessed with two arms, I've got to figure how to roll my bike case, golf club case and my suitcase (plus carryon bag) from the baggage area to the rental car area. Maybe I could just hook my belt through the golf clubs and have them follow in behind.........Gonna look like the Beverly Hillbillies comin' to Tucson International!!

I'm not sure if this is my most expensive bike trip, most expensive golf trip, or just most expensive trip period.........trying to get someone to just ship my bike ahead of time without taking out a loan is a story for another post. But hopefully spending time with my daughter and having all my toys with me should make for a memorable trip.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti..."

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Since I'm only blessed with two arms, I've got to figure how to roll my bike case, golf club case and my suitcase (plus carryon bag) from the baggage area to the rental car area. Maybe I could just hook my belt through the golf clubs and have them follow in behind.........Gonna look like the Beverly Hillbillies comin' to Tucson International!!
    Two words: "Smart Cart"

Make sure you've got quarters with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

My biggest concern was the cable and housing coming out the back of the Rear Derailleur. It is just sticking up unsupported and out the back pretty close to the lid. I came close to just taking it loose but wound up packing it the way it was.

if you haven't shipped yet, -- take off the rear derailleur-- they have a nasty habit of getting bent when packed in those boxes, due to them being right by the edge.

train safe-

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad thread title. You shouldn't scare us like that!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How many times do you suppose it will be opened and reclosed for inspection?...

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you're ambitious!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be too late but check out these guys. http://www.sportsexpress.com/ I got them from USA Cycling. We are going to check them out for next year.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    It may be too late but check out these guys. http://www.sportsexpress.com/ I got them from USA Cycling. We are going to check them out for next year.

Using their online quote and comparing them to other options I priced (UPS & Fedex)-for my trip they are a good bit more expensive.

At least my bike wasn't sent via DHL!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    def take the rear dr off the frame, if you haven't already. shipped mine in an ironcase this summer, and am almost positive it would have been bent otherwise.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wot's wrong with getting to the other end and going shopping for new bikes?

Richard
    very tired and feeling a bit silly
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it