Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: DeRosa...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRosa...

Does it seem to anyone else that DeRosa is less prominent than they were 20+ years ago? I know they still are considered one of the best, but you don't see a ton of professionals riding them compared to some of the other names. Just curious, I have an '86 vintage and will soon be in the market for a new ride & wanted to know whether they are still considered among the elites.

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they were slow to make the transition to "modern" materials and building with "modern" materials is less of an art and more of a science.

IMO there was some black magic that went into a traditional derosa that made it so special. I base this on having owned at the same a derosa and a trek that were almost identical -- 73 degree angles, 56cm seat and top tubes, columbus SL tubing, same wheelbase, etc. The derosa was twice the bike the trek was and there was no clear explanation as to why that should have been so.

I still have the derosa and I ride it once in a while on nice days. I converted it to campy 9 speed back when that was state of the art. Its about 2lbs heavier than my CF wonderbike but other than a little flex in the BB it rides way better. Now, my CF bike is kind of a cheapie as far as CF bikes go. I wonder how my derosa would stack up against something a little pricier like a look 585 or a cervelo but I don't wonder enough to spend 3 grand to find out

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of years ago and I was in the market for a good bike. Still one of the bike to have with regard to quality and doesn't Cipolini still ride his ally De Rosa in preference to other bikes? De Rosa's are still there but don't have the Bling to catch the eye. Like the Boreas I bought instead.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raimundospark View Post
    Does it seem to anyone else that DeRosa is less prominent than they were 20+ years ago? I know they still are considered one of the best, but you don't see a ton of professionals riding them compared to some of the other names. Just curious, I have an '86 vintage and will soon be in the market for a new ride & wanted to know whether they are still considered among the elites.
    Keep in mind that what you see the pros riding is determined strictly by their teams' sponsorship contracts. Of course, what they're actually riding may have nothing to do with the decals on the bike. For instance, rumor has it that many of Miguel Indurain's "Pinarellos" were actually Pegorettis, painted and decaled in Banesto team livery.

SP

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a guy who owns six bikes, the n+1 factor has all but disappeared from my life. The only missing piece would be a classic De Rosa Neo Primato, preferably in Molteni orange.

These guys could probably give the OP some worthwhile insights into the relative merits of modern De Rosas: http://www.wrenchscience.com/
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at a DeRosa a few years back, and while I drooled over it, the price did it in. It was just too much money for what was an unproven frame. The Avant was brand new at the time, and as it turns out it is probably made in the same Taiwanese factory as the one I bought for about a grand less.

Come to think of it, I never actually saw one on the road, nor have I ever seen a review or comment here about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These Rock Racing guys are on De Rosas. I don't know if they are on them again next year.

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    These Rock Racing guys are on De Rosas. I don't know if they are on them again next year.
    next year they are riding the same fuji I ride

I think rock racing is a good move for fuji as they seem to get a lot more press than toyota united did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy in his early 50's who's once in a while in my riding group regularly rides an early 90's Neo Primato. Red. Both he and the bike have a paint-chipped, faded jersey Countless Miles behind them look ...and a countless miles ahead of them look as well. A newish Chorus gruppo on the frame. All that heavy steel doesn't seem to hold him back any. He and the bike have a natural grace ascending, descending, weaving through traffic, you name it. As always, ultimately it's the rider not the ride.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess it follows that Tyler won the US Road Racing Championship on a DeRosa. That's pretty decent publicity.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, someone thrashed their 'designer' with the home run ugly bat.
    I know... bad boyz... yawn...
    crazy what kindsa stoopid **** you can do with a little moan-ay

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    So I guess it follows that Tyler won the US Road Racing Championship on a DeRosa. That's pretty decent publicity.
    Is that right? I thought it was on a Fuji.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)