Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding or tested a Storck?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 10:05 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I'm intrigued by the engineering behind the frame to remove more of the "glue" from the carbon layering process. I also like the frame weight but not sure about it's stiffness for long rides. It has received very, very high ratings when factoring in performance and comfort but I'm wondering if those ratings and reviews are more from racer types.

The LBS had one built up that weighed under 14 lbs. My oh my.......

https://www.storckbicycle.com/usa/ind...icycles&s=road
Old 11-17-08, 12:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Test ride?

Met one on a Fun ride earlier in the year and it is definitely one to think of.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-17-08, 01:02 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I suspect this frame performs similar to stiff frames such as a Look 595. It is pretty easy to build a sub 14 pound bike with a 950 gm frame, SRAM Red Gruppo, zero gravity brakes, carbon and titanium everywhere else and with very light tubular wheels.

I have seen a couple of these on the road. I think the target market is for the enthusiast who wants max schwagg and bragging rights for low weight and a brand and price that makes riding it unique. I like everything except having a very stiff frame.

I think one of the areas of interest in frame design is to offer some type of shock absorbing qualities while maintaining power transferring capability. For example, Thor Hushovd rides a Look 595 designed for his power but he uses a red insert in the seat for more comfort. In Paris Roubaix this year, he road a 585 which is less stiff for pure comfort.

I chose the Cervelo R3 for comfort.
Old 11-17-08, 01:25 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Hermes. When I looked at the geometry of the Storck I noticed it has very steep angles and a short rake fork (37.5?) It might handle ok but that fork is going to be more jarring with a steep HTA. The Parlee Z4 is definitely on the smooth side of the equation. I think it's plenty stiff enough especially since I do not race. I also liked the Cervelo R3 when I had it on a test for a week. The Tarmac is another good bike. Heck, most of the frames in the $2600-3000 range are very good and it is more a matter of preference and style.
Old 11-17-08, 01:38 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW jppe, if you ever want to test ride my Z4 you're welcome to do so. Just let me know and we could meet somewhere like Tryon and go for a ride. It sounds like you're still looking for the next bike, there are so many to try it can be confusing.
Old 11-17-08, 01:53 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Yeah, Hermes. When I looked at the geometry of the Storck I noticed it has very steep angles and a short rake fork (37.5?) It might handle ok but that fork is going to be more jarring with a steep HTA. The Parlee Z4 is definitely on the smooth side of the equation. I think it's plenty stiff enough especially since I do not race. I also liked the Cervelo R3 when I had it on a test for a week. The Tarmac is another good bike. Heck, most of the frames in the $2600-3000 range are very good and it is more a matter of preference and style.
Amen to the Parlee Z4. I test rode it and liked it as well. There is also a Parlee frame that is custom (I think) but it retails for $6500. So if you want total uniqueness there are a lot of very interesting choices. The Parlee, Look, Cervelo, Tarmac and etc are all great bikes and quite frankly it is difficult to decide.