Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Magazine-Dec Issue-plus Tucson update

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-20-08, 10:48 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

You can laugh-but it was a long flight from Charlotte to Tucson and there were slim pickin's in the airport magazine shop. I mean who wants to read one more thing about the current state of the economy.

From what I recall:
Lance is making a comeback-breaking news!!
Carmichael is his training coach-even more surprising!
Kenyans might be the next great climbers in the TdF????
Tubeless tires have yet to catch on-more breaking news!!

All my toys made it to Tucson. Whoever suggested getting the smart caddy in the airport-THANK YOU so much!

I had my suitcase, bikecase and laptop bag on the caddy and towed my golf clubs in it's container behind me. I only took out 2 or 3 people going through the airport.........The lady at the rental counter saw me and felt sorry me and gave me a free upgrade to a minivan for all my toys.

I put the bike back together and everything looks to be in very good shape, shifting correctly, etc. The Trico Iron Case bike case appeared to do a really great job.

My wife saved the day. Somehow my multi tool that I used to take everything apart and needed to put the bike back together had slid under my couch and out of view. I had thought I had packed it in the bike case with my pedals, pedal wrench, etc but she saw it at the last minute......

I think I left my body in NC or maybe it fell out of the plane over the Mississippi.....A miracle is gonna have to happen for me to have the energy to do 109 miles on Saturday. We only have 2 river bed crossings on the route where we have to dismount and carry our bikes for 1/4-1/3 miles as well.

BTW, I've done lots of centuries in lots of places but I haven't seen anything like the show these folks put on here. It's started 3 days early with exhibits galore. Just amazing.
Old 11-20-08, 11:16 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
That's about what I got out of it, if I recall.
Old 11-20-08, 11:16 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Get Cycling Plus next time. Still Trying to get through Novembers issue.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-20-08, 03:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuck in an airport with a 4 hour ride in front of me and made the same mistake again that buying the most recent issue would fill the void. 20 min. later thank God for Ipods.
Old 11-20-08, 03:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Brief summary of the November issue of the UK's Cycling Plus. 30 saddles tried and reported- 7 of next years bikes reported on-New bikes and bits at the Eurobike show-5 different GPS tested-Report on Jeannie Longo- 3 rides reported on and one is in my area- Diet and training-pedalling improvement- energy boosters and how the "Natural" ones work- How 2012 Olympics will affect UK cycling---

Lots more to read and not one advert for Cars or "Leisure" articles.

Had the mag for a week now and just not had time to read much of it. That's what I get for taking a weeks holiday and the wife having different ideas to me.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-20-08, 06:36 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe-
Been 16 yrs since my "El Tour" adventure, glad you're having a good time & everything arrived in 1 piece. Cold here back home, maybe some SNOW FLURRIES after midnight tonight! Thinking about doing the last AOMM (Morrow Mt) on Sat. but not sure I want to ride in my long johns! Pictures, we need pictures!!!
Old 11-21-08, 07:28 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
jppe-
Been 16 yrs since my "El Tour" adventure, glad you're having a good time & everything arrived in 1 piece. Cold here back home, maybe some SNOW FLURRIES after midnight tonight! Thinking about doing the last AOMM (Morrow Mt) on Sat. but not sure I want to ride in my long johns! Pictures, we need pictures!!!

Geez-just looked at the forecast for you guys Saturday and it would be in the 20's at the start and not warming up to the 40's until noon. At least it would be sunny and not breezy.........I guess the winter solstice rides start the 1st Saturday in Dec out of Davidson.