Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next step?

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next step?

Today I decided to take the leap and try clipless pedals. Originally I was worried about falling because I have used rat traps for so long. Not that it wouldnít be a honor to join club Tombay it is just that I donít like falling over on a road bike. However the seat adjustment advice I have received here seems to have worked, as did the upgrade to new wheels. I was going to try and just get the shoes because of the stiffer soles but I ended up getting a set of Time Atac pedals as well, I got a good deal. Tomorrow will be my first ride, other than the trip from the LBS, and I am looking forward to seeing if the pedals and shoes will make as much difference as the wheels did. The shoes do feel pretty comfortable and I was pretty careful about un-clipping on the ride home. The skate shoes I was wearing were good for about 20-25 miles but my feet started to hurt at anything over 30 miles.

Bob

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move. You will be happy!

Rick / OCRR

(having used clipless pedals since '85)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, what works is anticipation, anticipation, anticipation.

I unclip IN ADVANCE for any possible tricky situation - kids, neophyte wobbly bicyclists, sand, traffic stops. I realize I may overdo it a bit, but, OTOH, I haven't had a Club Tombay fall in 10 years. YMMV
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More good words are confidence, confidence, confidence. I think we tend to overdo the worrying with the obsessive fear of falling when it comes to clipless pedals.

We often advise beginning mountain bikers to look where you do want to go, not where you don't want to go. The bike will go where you look.

I think this applies to most things. Focus on the desired outcome and you'll have a better chance of it happening. Focus on falling and the chances of that happening will increase.

My 2 cents.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent move in going to clipless pedals!

My bit of advice when starting out is not limit yourself into clicking out of the same foot only, usually your dominant foot. Before you form a habit of clicking out of the same foot every time you come to a stop, try practicing clicking out of your other foot as well in equal frequency.
    When you're at a traffic stop and if a sudden gust of wind blows you over the other way you'll be able to instinctively click out of your other foot and save yourself from falling.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the feel of the shoes and I need to practice getting in as well as getting out. I like the idea of a larger platform to push on, the whole sole of the shoe. I will let you know how Wednesday goes. It does feel strange right now when I am clipped in.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the next step! Most pedals will have a tension adjustment. I suggest that you make the tension lighter so its easier to clip out. Later when you want to throw the hammer down you can tighten up the tension so you wont pull out when hitting 30+ on your sprints or hammering up a very steep hill. I remember when I first went clipless I would tend to panic at times and fight the tension and shoe position when coming to a stop. After all the years of going clipless, I still am not very good at clipping back in.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, more foot pain is caused by overtightening the shoes than anything else.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Good move. You will be happy!

Rick / OCRR

(having used clipless pedals since '85)
    Thanks Rick. My next goal is to get comfortable enough to try my first century in February. The club will start out in Hemet and ride to Palm Springs. So far everything I have tried has made it easier to increase my distance so I will be working to get comfortable with these shoes and pedals and see if I need a new saddle before then.

Bob

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Remember, more foot pain is caused by overtightening the shoes than anything else.

Richard
    ...or buying shoes that are too narrow. (learned my lesson there once)
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move but just another thing to remember- Band aid and bandages.

You will fall at some time. Possible not for a long time. You will realise when you are coming to a stop and unclip on one foot. You will unclip on the right- stop and the bike will fall left. Good tip- if you can remember it- is to unclip and keep the still clipped in foot up high. Then you will be better balanced with the clipped in foot having no load on it and not pulling the bike that way.

Makes no difference as at some time you will forget that aswell- So get ready and apply for the membership form now. And don't forget to do it in front of the neighbours or the off duty nurses.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Thanks Rick. My next goal is to get comfortable enough to try my first century in February. The club will start out in Hemet and ride to Palm Springs. So far everything I have tried has made it easier to increase my distance so I will be working to get comfortable with these shoes and pedals and see if I need a new saddle before then.
    Bob
    Hi Bob,

If you live near Hemet, don't forget the Hemet Double Century on April 18, 2009. It starts at the Motel 6 on Florida Ave. and it's two big loops, so you can stop after 100, or keep going if you still feel good!

Since you're doing your first century in Feb. you'll have time for a 125 and maybe a 150 before your first double! Good timing, actually!

Here's the link: http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/HemetDC/

Rick / OCRR

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob
    Do you mind telling me what course this ride will be taking? Is it going over 74? If so that would be some climbing.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitso View Post
    Do you mind telling me what course this ride will be taking? Is it going over 74? If so that would be some climbing.
    I asked about the ride today during our coffee break. One of the riders kept smiling and said they drive to Palm Springs. I guess the club meets in Hemet and loads the bikes in vans or trucks and heads out for Palm Springs. It takes place February 14,2009 and it is called the Tour de Palm Springs. From there the ride the century. I will have to register sometime in December or very early January. And while were discussing the Palm Springs ride one of the club members suggested I try the Hemet double that Rick mentioned. To be honest I just didnít think I would be ready for a century let alone a double.

By the way I managed two days with the new pedals and shoes and so far so good. By the end of my ride today I was able to clip in without looking. After 45 miles my feet were saying thanks for the shoes. But everyone in the club is watching me when we come to a light.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked about the ride today during our coffee break. One of the riders kept smiling and said they drive to Palm Springs. I guess the club meets in Hemet and loads the bikes in vans or trucks and heads out for Palm Springs. It takes place February 14,2009 and it is called the Tour de Palm Springs. From there the ride the century. I will have to register sometime in December or very early January. And while were discussing the Palm Springs ride one of the club members suggested I try the Hemet double that Rick mentioned. To be honest I just didnít think I would be ready for a century let alone a double.

By the way I managed two days with the new pedals and shoes and so far so good. By the end of my ride today I was able to clip in without looking. After 45 miles my feet were saying thanks for the shoes. But everyone in the club is watching me when we come to a light.
    I was planning on doing that until I got injured three weeks ago. I may still try it if I'm able to get back on the bike soon enough.

I would love to find a route from here to Hemet without freeway or 74. I used to live up 74. I've seen bikers riding up it but I would never try it. There is no shoulder on a lot of that road and blind curves.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning on doing that until I got injured three weeks ago. I may still try it if I'm able to get back on the bike soon enough.

I would love to find a route from here to Hemet without freeway or 74. I used to live up 74. I've seen bikers riding up it but I would never try it. There is no shoulder on a lot of that road and blind curves.
    Where is here? I have a pretty good map program that shows surface streets to just about anywhere.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... But everyone in the club is watching me when we come to a light.
    Too much is made of the "inevitable right of initiation" when moving to clipless.
    Bob, you may fall / you may not - At least during the break in period when you have to consciously remember to twist out of them at a stop. Before long it will become an unconscious habit.

In the meantime, give your sadistic fellow club riders a thrill, as they eagerly anticipate your impending crash-n'-burn. Clip out as you near the stop, but keep your foot on the pedal. When stopped, loudly announce your embarrassing doom and at the last minute plant your foot on the ground. Oops...false alarm!
    When they give you that look of crestfallen disappointment at not seeing you in a pile on the ground, you can tell them (insert obscenity here)....
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is here? I have a pretty good map program that shows surface streets to just about anywhere.
    I'm in Palm Desert. There is a back way that would go through Borrego Springs but I think it would be more than I would want to do in a day. It would end up aroung 150-200 miles I think. The only other way is to go on I-10 for a way and end up on 79.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Palm Desert. There is a back way that would go through Borrego Springs but I think it would be more than I would want to do in a day. It would end up aroung 150-200 miles I think. The only other way is to go on I-10 for a way and end up on 79.
    I don't think you are allowed on 10 but once you get to Cabazon you should be able to get to 79 without hitting the freeway. 79 has wide shoulders all the way in to Hemet. But it is just over 60 miles so it would be a long trip. However let me know if you are able to make the Palm Springs ride in February. Right now I am planning on it and I know they have shorter rides planned on that day.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you are allowed on 10 but once you get to Cabazon you should be able to get to 79 without hitting the freeway. 79 has wide shoulders all the way in to Hemet. But it is just over 60 miles so it would be a long trip. However let me know if you are able to make the Palm Springs ride in February. Right now I am planning on it and I know they have shorter rides planned on that day.
    There are some areas of 10 bicycles are allowed on. I don't know if I'd want to try it. My mother-in-law lives in Hemet. There was a thread somewhere that was talking about circling a lake near where she lives. I thought maybe I would try that leaving from her house. I could park my vehicle there.

I may try going on one of the shorter rides that day. I have to get back on the bike first. I can't imagine not being able to at least do some sort of riding be then. My shoulder doesn't seem to be getting better.

I'll let you know what I do.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    We often advise beginning mountain bikers to look where you do want to go, not where you don't want to go. The bike will go where you look.

I think this applies to most things. Focus on the desired outcome and you'll have a better chance of it happening. Focus on falling and the chances of that happening will increase.

My 2 cents.
    Me too. It's amazing how a simple statement with zen qualities can make such a difference.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some areas of 10 bicycles are allowed on. I don't know if I'd want to try it. My mother-in-law lives in Hemet. There was a thread somewhere that was talking about circling a lake near where she lives. I thought maybe I would try that leaving from her house. I could park my vehicle there.

I may try going on one of the shorter rides that day. I have to get back on the bike first. I can't imagine not being able to at least do some sort of riding be then. My shoulder doesn't seem to be getting better.

I'll let you know what I do.
    Most rides around the Lake are talking about the trail around Diamond Lake. That is 22 miles of graded dirt road with ruts and small rocks. Looks a bit like a Jeep trail. PM me if you need directions or if it is a day I am available someone to ride with.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Bob,

The Palm Springs Century would be an excellent first century. Good organization, lots of food, plenty of rest stops, and only one section of bad pavement.

The ride is pretty flat, but what climbing there is won't be at all steep (one long grade about 2-3% is the only "climb" that's memorable). There are some minor rollers, but qute easy, really.

So easy that I'm seriously considering making Palm Springs '09 my first Fixed Gear century!

Rick / OCRR

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Yes Bob,

The Palm Springs Century would be an excellent first century. Good organization, lots of food, plenty of rest stops, and only one section of bad pavement.

The ride is pretty flat, but what climbing there is won't be at all steep (one long grade about 2-3% is the only "climb" that's memorable). There are some minor rollers, but qute easy, really.

So easy that I'm seriously considering making Palm Springs '09 my first Fixed Gear century!

Rick / OCRR
    Well I am planning on giving it a try. If you do decide to go let me know an maybe we can meet somewhere. The more I think about it the more I think I could do the whole 100. If that works the the Hemet ride in April might work as well. By the way so far I am liking the shoes and pedals.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am planning on giving it a try. If you do decide to go let me know an maybe we can meet somewhere. The more I think about it the more I think I could do the whole 100. If that works the the Hemet ride in April might work as well. By the way so far I am liking the shoes and pedals.
    Yes Bob,

You could do the whole 100. On that course, with that level of support, I predict that you will finish feeling as if you could go much further!

Good to hear the shoes and pedals are working out for you. I knew they would . . . I was first introduced to clipless pedals in '85 (remeber Aero-Lites?), and since I was only 35 at the time, I jumped right on them. If I'd waited until I was 50+ I may have been more hesitant!

Yes, I'll try to remember to contact you when the Palm Springs Century gets closer. The actual start is really packed with riders (they send off about 100 at a time, in waves), so we should meet before the start and at least a block or two away.

Be sure to wear your 50+ jersey so I can find you easily!

Best Regs,
    Rick / OCRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast