Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the N+1 Hankerin' 50+ Blues

It's crazy I tell ya. I've been hankerin' for a pure touring bike for years. I've lots of "go fast" road bikes in my basement and I love 'em all. I have a MTB that successfully provided me with some loaded touring fun, but I've never even ridden an actual bike designed for touring.

After doing the requisite research, I have fallen for the new "09 Surly LHT.http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

I have admired from afar the LHT's featured here on BF (Yen ), yet have been fighting the urge. But, alas, the new color has stolen my heart. It's called "Truckaccino".

I only hope I don't blow the money on something silly like food, shelter, and clothing while I'm thinking this through.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You better move quick or the "09" stock will be gone until the "10's" come out!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to go wrong with a Surly. They seem to hold their value really well, too.

Another new for '09 bike is the Novara Randonee, available at REI. Same price; I think the Surly is a better deal. Choice is whether you want to run brifters (Randonee) or bar-ends (LHT).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Hard to go wrong with a Surly. They seem to hold their value really well, too.

Another new for '09 bike is the Novara Randonee, available at REI. Same price; I think the Surly is a better deal. Choice is whether you want to run brifters (Randonee) or bar-ends (LHT).
    Yeah, I checked out the Novara online. It is a great value but I prefer the bar end shifters for many reasons.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that new "truckaccino cream" color looks really nice.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    You better move quick or the "09" stock will be gone until the "10's" come out!
    I understand they sell like hotcakes. I wonder if they've hit the bike shops floors yet?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The folks at Surly have a reputation for answering emails quickly...you might ask who in your area is likely to stock it. When I was shopping for one it took me awhile to find a dealer in Seattle who stocked built-up Surlys, finally did...

It's such a good bike...I would prefer the bar-ends too on this kind of bike.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice Louis and the color looks great.
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a nice color. I really liked the '08 blue too.

It's a very solid bike and the price is quite good given the quality of the components. I like that XT rear derailleur. The gearing is very relaxed, I see they have a 34t rear cog, that's the largest any mountain bike even uses. And those 1.5" tires (or 37mm ... same thing) are even wider than what many touring bikes use. If one didn't want to go quite that wide, you could talk to the dealer about swapping the 700x37 tires for 700x32 at the time of purchase. However I could see staying with the 1.5" for an extra comfortable ride.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall owning a '78 Chevy Impala that was almost the same color.
    Looks much better on the bike, trust me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    That is a nice color. I really liked the '08 blue too.

It's a very solid bike and the price is quite good given the quality of the components. I like that XT rear derailleur. The gearing is very relaxed, I see they have a 34t rear cog, that's the largest any mountain bike even uses. And those 1.5" tires (or 37mm ... same thing) are even wider than what many touring bikes use. If one didn't want to go quite that wide, you could talk to the dealer about swapping the 700x37 tires for 700x32 at the time of purchase. However I could see staying with the 1.5" for an extra comfortable ride.
    I'd probably just leave the 1.5's on.

I see they are using a Andel crank. Never heard of that name but I think I trust the folks at Surly.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I see they are using a Andel crank. Never heard of that name but I think I trust the folks at Surly.
    Even if it turns out to be a cheap POS that wears out quickly, You can replace it with a Sugino SD for under $100. There are enough choice items in the parts kit to make up for a cut corner here and there. Any bike needs a little upgrading here and there.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't go wrong with bar end shifters
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that too. They've had Sugino XD on them for the past few years.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever thought about a Long Wheel Base Recumbent for touring? Talk about comfort. You might want to test ride one before you decilde. bk

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's crazy I tell ya. I've been hankerin' for a pure touring bike for years. I've lots of "go fast" road bikes in my basement and I love 'em all. I have a MTB that successfully provided me with some loaded touring fun, but I've never even ridden an actual bike designed for touring.

After doing the requisite research, I have fallen for the new "09 Surly LHT.http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

I have admired from afar the LHT's featured here on BF (Yen ), yet have been fighting the urge. But, alas, the new color has stolen my heart. It's called "Truckaccino".

I only hope I don't blow the money on something silly like food, shelter, and clothing
    while I'm thinking this through.
    I expect to see your "I pulled the trigger" post momentarily.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only hope I don't blow the money on something silly like food, shelter, and clothing while I'm thinking this through.
    You've done enough thinking.....time to buy it! It would make a great bike for touring.

I love the color
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
    Have you ever thought about a Long Wheel Base Recumbent for touring? Talk about comfort. You might want to test ride one before you decilde. bk
    There's a LBS near me that specializes in recumbents. The owner has tried a few times to get me interested but I guess I'm just not a recumbent guy.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I guess I'm just not a recumbent guy.
    You guess wrong, my friend.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    You guess wrong, my friend.
    Yeah. What would he know about his own preferences? He's just...himself.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the recumbent guy in Louis all the way from Wisconsin!!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. I gave a friend a car ride to distant century and when i lifted his LHT to the roof rack I almost popped a vein. That thing weighs more than my mountain bike. I think it was about 30 pounds. Without racks or lights or anything.

And 26" wheels (his was the larger size with 700c) seem weird on a touring bike.

I mention all this because I too am thinking touring bike. I'm looking at the Fuji and the Cannondale bikes (not being a fan of bar end shifters.)

Just grist for the mill....
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet-looking bike, there, Louis. I think you won't regret it.

The oldest bike in my stable is a 25-year-old Trek touring bike. For years, it sat relatively unused in my bike shed, as I experimented with various go-fast bikes, but now I find that I ride it more and more. There's something rather nice about two slack-angled, low-geared, somewhat rusty old-timers rolling comfortably down life's highway.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Fuji Touring bike weighs around 28 pounds. Pretty close to the Surly, which I've read is also around 28-28.5 w/o racks.

The LHT can be equipped with either 26" or 700c wheels.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 11-19-08 at 10:32 PM.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No argument from me! The Surly is a cutie, isn't it? And that color is just begging for a brown Brooks saddle.

Mine weighed 26 pounds including bottle cages. I love it. On hills, I have passed stronger riders on lighter bikes. It climbs as easily as my cf Roubaix Expert, no doubt about it. I ordered a rack and trunk pack which came today so now I can start commuting around town and have a place to store a U-lock.

Have I said how much I love my Surly Long Haul Trucker?

And it's true.... the Surly gang answers email very quickly and in a friendly manner.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast