Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-08, 08:54 AM   #1
Louis

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got the N+1 Hankerin' 50+ Blues

It's crazy I tell ya. I've been hankerin' for a pure touring bike for years. I've lots of "go fast" road bikes in my basement and I love 'em all. I have a MTB that successfully provided me with some loaded touring fun, but I've never even ridden an actual bike designed for touring.

After doing the requisite research, I have fallen for the new "09 Surly LHT.http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

I have admired from afar the LHT's featured here on BF (Yen ), yet have been fighting the urge. But, alas, the new color has stolen my heart. It's called "Truckaccino".

I only hope I don't blow the money on something silly like food, shelter, and clothing while I'm thinking this through.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:00 AM   #2
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
You better move quick or the "09" stock will be gone until the "10's" come out!
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:30 AM   #3
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Hard to go wrong with a Surly. They seem to hold their value really well, too.

Another new for '09 bike is the Novara Randonee, available at REI. Same price; I think the Surly is a better deal. Choice is whether you want to run brifters (Randonee) or bar-ends (LHT).
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:45 AM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Hard to go wrong with a Surly. They seem to hold their value really well, too.

Another new for '09 bike is the Novara Randonee, available at REI. Same price; I think the Surly is a better deal. Choice is whether you want to run brifters (Randonee) or bar-ends (LHT).
Yeah, I checked out the Novara online. It is a great value but I prefer the bar end shifters for many reasons.
Old 11-19-08, 09:46 AM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Yeah, that new "truckaccino cream" color looks really nice.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:48 AM   #6
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
You better move quick or the "09" stock will be gone until the "10's" come out!
I understand they sell like hotcakes. I wonder if they've hit the bike shops floors yet?
Old 11-19-08, 10:49 AM   #7
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
The folks at Surly have a reputation for answering emails quickly...you might ask who in your area is likely to stock it. When I was shopping for one it took me awhile to find a dealer in Seattle who stocked built-up Surlys, finally did...

It's such a good bike...I would prefer the bar-ends too on this kind of bike.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 10:58 AM   #8
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good choice Louis and the color looks great.
Old 11-19-08, 11:43 AM   #9
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
That is a nice color. I really liked the '08 blue too.

It's a very solid bike and the price is quite good given the quality of the components. I like that XT rear derailleur. The gearing is very relaxed, I see they have a 34t rear cog, that's the largest any mountain bike even uses. And those 1.5" tires (or 37mm ... same thing) are even wider than what many touring bikes use. If one didn't want to go quite that wide, you could talk to the dealer about swapping the 700x37 tires for 700x32 at the time of purchase. However I could see staying with the 1.5" for an extra comfortable ride.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 11:52 AM   #10
cranky old dude

Bikes:
I seem to recall owning a '78 Chevy Impala that was almost the same color.
Looks much better on the bike, trust me.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 05:02 PM   #11
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
That is a nice color. I really liked the '08 blue too.

It's a very solid bike and the price is quite good given the quality of the components. I like that XT rear derailleur. The gearing is very relaxed, I see they have a 34t rear cog, that's the largest any mountain bike even uses. And those 1.5" tires (or 37mm ... same thing) are even wider than what many touring bikes use. If one didn't want to go quite that wide, you could talk to the dealer about swapping the 700x37 tires for 700x32 at the time of purchase. However I could see staying with the 1.5" for an extra comfortable ride.
I'd probably just leave the 1.5's on.

I see they are using a Andel crank. Never heard of that name but I think I trust the folks at Surly.
Old 11-19-08, 05:17 PM   #12
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I see they are using a Andel crank. Never heard of that name but I think I trust the folks at Surly.
Even if it turns out to be a cheap POS that wears out quickly, You can replace it with a Sugino SD for under $100. There are enough choice items in the parts kit to make up for a cut corner here and there. Any bike needs a little upgrading here and there.
Old 11-19-08, 05:19 PM   #13
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
You can't go wrong with bar end shifters
Old 11-19-08, 06:25 PM   #14
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Quote:

I noticed that too. They've had Sugino XD on them for the past few years.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-19-08, 06:35 PM   #15
bkaapcke

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Have you ever thought about a Long Wheel Base Recumbent for touring? Talk about comfort. You might want to test ride one before you decilde. bk
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 07:09 PM   #16
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay"; Fuji D6 TT bike
Quote:
It's crazy I tell ya. I've been hankerin' for a pure touring bike for years. I've lots of "go fast" road bikes in my basement and I love 'em all. I have a MTB that successfully provided me with some loaded touring fun, but I've never even ridden an actual bike designed for touring.

After doing the requisite research, I have fallen for the new "09 Surly LHT.http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

I have admired from afar the LHT's featured here on BF (Yen ), yet have been fighting the urge. But, alas, the new color has stolen my heart. It's called "Truckaccino".

I only hope I don't blow the money on something silly like food, shelter, and clothing
while I'm thinking this through.
I expect to see your "I pulled the trigger" post momentarily.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 07:55 PM   #17
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I only hope I don't blow the money on something silly like food, shelter, and clothing while I'm thinking this through.
You've done enough thinking.....time to buy it! It would make a great bike for touring.

I love the color

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:43 PM   #18
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
Have you ever thought about a Long Wheel Base Recumbent for touring? Talk about comfort. You might want to test ride one before you decilde. bk
There's a LBS near me that specializes in recumbents. The owner has tried a few times to get me interested but I guess I'm just not a recumbent guy.
Old 11-19-08, 10:30 PM   #19
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Quote:
but I guess I'm just not a recumbent guy.
You guess wrong, my friend.

Old 11-19-08, 10:36 PM   #20
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
You guess wrong, my friend.
Yeah. What would he know about his own preferences? He's just...himself.
Old 11-19-08, 10:43 PM   #21
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

I can see the recumbent guy in Louis all the way from Wisconsin!!

Old 11-19-08, 10:56 PM   #22
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't know. I gave a friend a car ride to distant century and when i lifted his LHT to the roof rack I almost popped a vein. That thing weighs more than my mountain bike. I think it was about 30 pounds. Without racks or lights or anything.

And 26" wheels (his was the larger size with 700c) seem weird on a touring bike.

I mention all this because I too am thinking touring bike. I'm looking at the Fuji and the Cannondale bikes (not being a fan of bar end shifters.)

Just grist for the mill....
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 11:01 PM   #23
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Sweet-looking bike, there, Louis. I think you won't regret it.

The oldest bike in my stable is a 25-year-old Trek touring bike. For years, it sat relatively unused in my bike shed, as I experimented with various go-fast bikes, but now I find that I ride it more and more. There's something rather nice about two slack-angled, low-geared, somewhat rusty old-timers rolling comfortably down life's highway.
Old 11-19-08, 11:25 PM   #24
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

I think the Fuji Touring bike weighs around 28 pounds. Pretty close to the Surly, which I've read is also around 28-28.5 w/o racks.

The LHT can be equipped with either 26" or 700c wheels.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 11-19-08 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 11:46 PM   #25
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
No argument from me! The Surly is a cutie, isn't it? And that color is just begging for a brown Brooks saddle.

Mine weighed 26 pounds including bottle cages. I love it. On hills, I have passed stronger riders on lighter bikes. It climbs as easily as my cf Roubaix Expert, no doubt about it. I ordered a rack and trunk pack which came today so now I can start commuting around town and have a place to store a U-lock.

Have I said how much I love my Surly Long Haul Trucker?

And it's true.... the Surly gang answers email very quickly and in a friendly manner.