Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When were you mature enough...?

I was reading a post in the recreation & family forum about a guy riding with his 11 year old son. It occured to me that I didn't start really riding until I was nearly 40. This year I did 2100 miles. My son has been lost to me since he got his driver's license and I stated that he hasn't matured enough to ride bicycle yet. Anyone else with similar experiences?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started riding in '68 (I was 18), so my sons (born in '78 and '81) grew up with a cycling fanatic father. Now that they're both grown, they both ride some, but still not as much as I do.

One has three kids, the other is in the Navy, so there are time limitations too. Still, they didn't get the gene passed down for "cycling fanatic." Not sure that "maturity" has anything to do with it!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that this was somewhat toungue in cheek. There is no emoticon for that!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two boy's "matured" after they graduated from college. They were both multi-sport HS school athletes and both were Division 1 swimmers through college. Neither would be caught out riding bicycles with their dad before graduating college, unless it was a mother induced mandated "Father's Day request/ride". The older son started to do triathlons after college and began to ride with me now and then. The younger son needed to spend a 5th year at college and took my backup bike to school with him to use for excercise. He joined up with the college team and the local riders and became a racing roadie. After two years of maturity, the three of us do group rides and even intervals together. I'm having a blast riding with and showing off the "boys".

In the last three weeks I participated in two cyclocross races in the C race while my younger so rode the A races. This week my older son is in Tempe AZ to compete in a full Ironman to be held on Sunday. I done hatched them good!

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I had been riding bikes since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, when I reached 17 and got my driving licence, I didn't touch a bike for about eight years. I was "mature enough" for bicycles again at 25. I think that's normal.

There should be a tongue-in-cheek emoticon, too.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Except for a couple *very* brief stints when I was in college the first time in my late teens/early 20s and then when I was back in college in my 30s, I went from 16 to 54 without getting on a bicycle.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode a lot from ages 5 to 18 then all but stopped. Always had a bike and made sure my boys knew how to ride. Family tried for years to get me to ride with them but, with the exception of an obligatory ride once or twice a year, I always found an excuse.

A little over a year ago, I started riding. 500 miles last year and over 3,000 this year so far. I've tried getting my sons to ride with me but haven't had a lot of success. Maybe a half dozen rides as a family this year and al less than 15 miles. My wife, however, is quite willing to hit the road with me. I figure my sons will find their own way with bikes but I'll keep working on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be some kind of freak. I started at 8 y.o., when a bunch of neighborhood kids decided it was time for Scotty to learn how to ride. They put me on a bike, gave me a push, and I'm still going. #1 son is just finishing college and uses his bike for transportation. We rode together quite a bit until he finished high school and left town. #2 son never really got past the "pedal without falling over" stage, no matter what or how hard I tried. Lately, he's asked about trying out one of my 'bents, so I guess there's still hope.

SP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one_beatnik View Post
    . . .he hasn't matured enough to ride bicycle yet. . . .
    This part of your post got to thinking on the ironic circularity of cycling as some of us here on BF50+ have experienced it. As a kid, biking was early on a way to do "grown up" stuff like getting to neighborhood jobs, to Mass, to grandma's place to help dig potatoes, etc. As a mid-career guy, I was able to commute to work most days for 15 years. As a 50-something, my cycling is purely for fitness/fun. Hmmmm, does this predict a tricycle in my future?
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started riding at around 9 as I recall. I have ridden off and on since then. I don't plan on stopping again as long as I am able to ride. Right now I haven't been on a bike for a little over three weeks due to an accident.

I started my two boys on bikes around the same age as I was. They are both in their early twenties and neither are currently riding. One is going to college and the other is in the Marines. I figure they'll both mature back into in their own time. Hopefully, we'll ride again together while I'm able.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode a bike from 4 untill 18 and then it was car- Re-started riding at 43 when I realised How unfit I was. 18 years later and I am still unfit. As to the maturity bit- still waiting for that to arrive.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got three daughters. They're 19, 19 and 23 yrs. old and they'll tell
    you for certain that they are much too mature to be out riding a bicycle.
    I, on the other hand, have been riding since early grade school. When I
    was 12 or 13 I earned a "Bicycling Merit Badge" for Boy Scouts which required
    among other things, six 25 mile rides and a 50 mile ride. I rode most of those,
    including the 50 miler, solo. I guess I haven't matured yet as my bike is locked
    out at the rack, in the snow, today awaiting the ride home.

Happy Trails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started in 1950...at 8...hung with a pal whose dad owned LBS...Lotta miles under the belt...
    Bud

tcs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started @ 5 y.o., ridden the 46 years since. Daughter began at the same age, spent formative years riding riding stoker on the tandem, later did the roadie thing with me and rode at the velodrome during high school, and more recently was a bike commuter during college and now to her first job.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like many here, I lived for my bikes from the time I learned how (age 4 or 5) until I got my driver's license (16). My folks bought a nice new Varsity for me when I was 17 or 18. Bad timing, I guess.
    Didn't ride again until I was 25 when a damaged foot didn't allow me to walk for more than a minute or two. That stint lasted until I was 31 or 32. Didn't ride again until I was 53. Now, I'm an animal.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems many guys take a biking hiatus for several years at 16, with a freshly minted drivers license. Same with me. I was "too cool" to be seen on my mint condition Lemon Peeler that I sold for $40 (now a collectors item).
    Where's the emoticon for kicking yourself in the head?
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode every day as a kid (pre-drivers license) Even rode across town and camping and fishing till I was lured away from bikedom by the evil gas machines in 1964.

Sorry to say that I didn't mature till 40 years later at the age of 55.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I borrowed a neighbor's bicycle at age 5 and taught myself to ride after reading Curious George Rides a Bike. By age 7, I was going up and down Highway 41, the Tamiami Trail without supervision. Been riding ever since.

Now as far as maturity, I don't seem to have gained any of that since age 11.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBikeguy View Post
    It seems many guys take a biking hiatus for several years at 16, with a freshly minted drivers license. Same with me. I was "too cool" to be seen on my mint condition Lemon Peeler that I sold for $40 (now a collectors item).
    Where's the emoticon for kicking yourself in the head?
    Not exactly a kick but it works.

Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started at 3 yrs;
    My first 2 wheeler:

[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 wheels, that picture is priceless.

With that suit, devilish smile, and of course the wheels, it says, "Yes ladies.. this could be all yours if you play your cards right.....".... :-)
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBikeguy View Post
    10 wheels, that picture is priceless.

With that suit, devilish smile, and of course the wheels, it says, "Yes ladies.. this could be all yours if you play your cards right.....".... :-)
    That ain't nothing. (age 11 yrs)
    My First Huffy (1952 Model) had a Kisser on the back.

[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Non-biking periods of my life:

0 to age 4 : Too young
    12 to 22: Too cool
    27 to 29: Too afraid of getting killed in Mexico City traffic
    38 to 50: "Too busy"

Once I reached the age of wisdom, I started again, and plan to stick with it until I'm "too dead."

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite / Haro Extreme x6 Expert / Trek 4300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'll just duck in for a quick post then be on my way...
    (That was my original thread you were referring to BTW) I know my son is gaining speed on the biking desire. In fact, on the way home from school today he asked if we could go riding before dark. He wants to go to college near here because they have a good MTB team/club and it's close enough to home to commute.

Will those desires change in 5+ years and the "golden license" appears... hope not. But I'm hoping there's a love that's getting established that will endure the car phase.

Btw... I took a good 25 year hiatus from cycling and just got back into it. So hopefully in 15 years I can post in this thread and say my maturity started now... well then, which is actually now. :confused:

Anyway, the <50 year old is ducking out now.
    Tim
    ---------------------------------
    Specialized Allez Elite / Haro Extreme x6 Expert / Trek 4300 / Fuji Supreme SL / LeMond Reno - converted for TT / Giant Warp DS1 / Tommaso Ponza / Trek 4300 - 13.5" (For Sale)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others, I grew up on bicycles and abandoned them for cars and motorcycles when I was old enough to drive. I did come back to bicycles for a few months at age 20 when I suddenly found myself without the privilege to drive thanks to my love for twisting the throttle grip of my Kawasaki 900 Z1B. I don't think maturity had a lot to do with it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast