Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

BFN 50+ First Annual Ride - Monday, August 31

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BFN 50+ First Annual Ride - Monday, August 31

Old 06-12-09, 08:23 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Denvr, pls add myself + wife as most likely.

Stapfam's UK medical will not cover him in the US, but he can buy med travel insurance before he comes across the pond.
Old 07-02-09, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denvr,
I suffer from information overload on this subject.
My wife and I want to join this event. She will probably not be able to bike due to biking injury but I will be biking.
Questions:
What do we have to pay to whom for participation?
What motel to book to be with the group, what days, how much?
We will drive and that means we will be flexible.
Please tell me what to do and when.
Old 07-02-09, 09:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Denvr,
I suffer from information overload on this subject.
My wife and I want to join this event. She will probably not be able to bike due to biking injury but I will be biking.
Questions:
What do we have to pay to whom for participation?

We will be joining the LAB for insurance coverage. I have asked the two guys to get info together and distribute it. (Dellphinius and qcpmsame

What motel to book to be with the group, what days, how much?

Your choice. HiYoSilver has suggested the Caravan Inn. But, everyone is welcome to stay where they like, depending upon personal preferences. I have stayed at Glenwood Motor Inn - clean, no breakfast, simple.

People will be staying different lenghts of time and different days. However, the official ride is the 31st.

We will drive and that means we will be flexible.
Please tell me what to do and when.

I want to keep this quite informal. I would hope that individuals wirh similar interests would do things together - i.e., those who want to do long challenging rides. etc. I don't have a lot of time for extensive planning and coordination as I am very involved in two major national projects.

So, I am hoping that each of you will take leadership, as HiYo Silver has, in your own areas of interest. We will set a meeting time and place for the official ride, and let other things be flexible and fun.

The ride will be unsupported, as there are towns with everything a person would need every ten miles or so - including bike shops, stores, etc.

Any other ideas?

I am going to stay at the Caravan. Not sure what dates yet. Likely the 29, 30 and 31

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-03-09 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 11:54 AM
Banned.

UPDATE JULY 6, 2009

Well, I need some folks to step up to the plate who have sort of - umm - disappeared. And the following is suggested.

LET'S MAKE THE CARAVAN INN OUR MEETING POINT.

(Nora and I are going to Glenwood in 2 weeks, and we will tie down more specifically locations, etc.)

1. The Ride is August 31, starting early (I would like to be "on the trail" by 7:30 am,

as it can get HOT), from Glenwood Springs to Aspen and back. However, folks can go as far as they want for as long as they want. The prettiest section is Carbondale to Basalt, and one can drive there and start from there if they don't want to go the entire ride.
Other planned events included a dinner or two. There was someone on the listserv who was arranging that, and had suggested a place, and given them call. However, I don't remember exactly. Are you there? Or do we need to start from scratch?

Anyway, let's plan on a dinner Sunday night - 08/30; 6:00 pm and

Monday night 08/31, 6:00 pm. We can easily find a place, if the person who volunteered doesn't respond.

I would suggest that folks who are interested and haven't done the trail bordering the Colorado River leave from Glenwood early Sunday morning the 30th and take the round trip. The engineering is spectacular, and so far, we have had a very wet June, so, hopefully, the Colorado River will be running high. Many rapids to see, there are folks running the river in their rafts, etc. The highway and trail are likely the best example of highway construction in the US of A. Very much imbedded into the spectacular environment of the canyon. This would be a 33 mile ride or so, and would be a great warmup for Monday's ride. I would suggest leaving again, about 7:30 am. The very first part of the trail is not so pretty, and at times I drive to the first rest stop and start from there.

2. Maps of ride

The Glenwood Canyon Recreational Trail simply follows I-70 through the canyon.

3. Liability - yes, and Delphinus and qcpmsame were working on it. I sent them a PM last week, but no response. Are you there? About $10.00

The ride will be in Glenwood Springs, CO from

Saturday, August 29th through Wednesday, September 2nd, with the OFFICAL ride on Monday, August 31, 2009.

( For ride and Glenwood Springs info, please see the ride thread at
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/486301-annual-50-bike-forum-ride.html )

Folks can come anytime during this time period (or longer). This allows for anyone who could only come for the weekend to still meet with a lot of BFN 50+ folks, and would allow for bicycling the official ride on other than a weekend. We could even have a dinner on Sunday, the 30th AND something after the ride on Monday the 31st.

I think with that schedule, we meet EVERYONE'S needs, in one way or another.
Old 07-17-09, 05:44 PM
Banned.

OK, I went by the Caravan Motel. It is quite pleasant. Nice pool. MOre of an old-fashioned drive-up motel, which really suits folks with bicycles better. It is two story, without an elevator, so you might want a first-floor room. It is pretty big, so it can easily handle our group.

I asked to see a room. The room I saw had 2 queens, and looked clean and comfortable.

I took some pics, but I forget to bring my pic adapter for mycomputer, so you will have to wait until next week

The bicycle path to Aspen has an access point just two tenths of a mile west on CO 82. I wouldn't ride on 82, but the sidewalk is adequate to get to the path. Once you get on the path, it will take about a mile west to get out of the housing areas of GWS. AFter that, the trail follows the valley, sometimes closer to the road, sometimes further away. After you get out of GWS, there are only a few cross streets.

There is a hot breakfast at the motel - there is a small breakfast room.

There is a restaurant across the parking lot of the motel - it is connected, but is sub-leased. It is called Tatrys, and I will scan their menu, once I get home.

I am staying in Carbondale, the first town 10 miles west of GWS. From here, the trail goes through the edge of the town, and then leaves the highway following the river. This is the prettiest part, and if you ae not going to do the whole ride, I would recommend driving to Carbondale and riding to Basalt.

The motel I am in is right on the river, and the path is across the driveway to the motel - Comfort Inn. There is also a Days Inn.

It sis 94 today, very dry - typical CO summer. Actually, GWS is lower than my home in Parker.
Old 07-21-09, 09:45 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
DnverFox,

please remove the "YES-1" from the participant table in the "Maybe" column. My cousin will not be riding the Rio Grande route with us.

Thanks!

Road Fan
Old 07-21-09, 10:32 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I are not going to be able to make the trip. She will still be in the middle of chemo. I'm still planning on making the drive to Wichita Falls to ride the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred on August 29th, but will just drive straight home after the ride.
Old 08-03-09, 01:27 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My reservations at the Caravan Inn are made. I will be around all weekend and for dinner Sunday. But, alas, not for official Monday riding... so I do hope maybe some folks are interested in a little "freelance" riding on Sat and/or Sunday. If there are enough cars to shuttle, it might be fun to drive up to Aspen and ride down one of those days.
Old 08-03-09, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not going to be able to participate in the ride this. Maybe next year.

Mark
Old 08-03-09, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there.
Old 08-03-09, 07:10 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by rcummings1
I'll be there.
Great, but PLEASE email me with your email address, so we can get an emaillist of those going for better planning and communication.

dnvrfox@aol.com
Old 08-03-09, 08:30 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
My reservations at the Caravan Inn are made. I will be around all weekend and for dinner Sunday. But, alas, not for official Monday riding... so I do hope maybe some folks are interested in a little "freelance" riding on Sat and/or Sunday. If there are enough cars to shuttle, it might be fun to drive up to Aspen and ride down one of those days.
I made reservations tonight at the Caravan. I'm not sure what day I'll be arriving but I will be there for Sat, Sun and Monday.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-06-09, 06:12 AM
Banned.

OK, this is who I have right now:

Yen - 2
DnvrFox - 2
Will Dehne -2
Billydonn - 2
rcummings1 - 1
Beverly - 1
jppe - 2
HiYoSilver**********??
Delphinus**********??

Have I missed anyone??

I have set up a separate email list for the above, except HiYoSilver - I have no email address for him.
Old 08-07-09, 11:08 AM
Banned.

FINAL (I HOPE) UPDATE ON THE ANNUAL RIDE

The folks we know about who are attending the 50+ Annual Ride in Glenwood Sptings, CO, August 31st have formed a separate email group where we are discussing logistics, etc.

If you are not sure if you are coming or not, it may be worthwhile for you to join this group just to keep up-to-date in case you can join us.

It is not too late, and we would welcome anyone who might be able to join us, even if only for a day or two.

Most of us are arriving Friday and leaving Tuesday.

Please let me know if you would like to be included.

dnvrfox@aol.com

Thanks, all.
Old 08-17-09, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested.
Plan to ride a the century in Grand Junction on August 30th. Trying to confirm that date.

yourcommunityhospital.com
Old 09-12-09, 11:00 PM
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was the outcome of the ride? Any pictures to post?

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 09-13-09, 05:53 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by drew55
What was the outcome of the ride? Any pictures to post?
There are pictures and ride report threads all over the 50+ forum. Beverly, yen, dnvrfox, will dehne, billydonn, artmo, etc. Do a search or just look around a bit.