User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BFN 50+ First Annual Ride - Monday, August 31

UPDATE JULY 6, 2009

Well, I need some folks to step up to the plate who have sort of - umm - disappeared. And the following is suggested.

LET'S MAKE THE CARAVAN INN OUR MEETING POINT.

(Nora and I are going to Glenwood in 2 weeks, and we will tie down more specifically locations, etc.)

1. The Ride is August 31, starting early (I would like to be "on the trail" by 7:30 am,

as it can get HOT), from Glenwood Springs to Aspen and back. However, folks can go as far as they want for as long as they want. The prettiest section is Carbondale to Basalt, and one can drive there and start from there if they don't want to go the entire ride.
    Other planned events included a dinner or two. There was someone on the listserv who was arranging that, and had suggested a place, and given them call. However, I don't remember exactly. Are you there? Or do we need to start from scratch?

Anyway, let's plan on a dinner Sunday night - 08/30; 6:00 pm and

Monday night 08/31, 6:00 pm. We can easily find a place, if the person who volunteered doesn't respond.

I would suggest that folks who are interested and haven't done the trail bordering the Colorado River leave from Glenwood early Sunday morning the 30th and take the round trip. The engineering is spectacular, and so far, we have had a very wet June, so, hopefully, the Colorado River will be running high. Many rapids to see, there are folks running the river in their rafts, etc. The highway and trail are likely the best example of highway construction in the US of A. Very much imbedded into the spectacular environment of the canyon. This would be a 33 mile ride or so, and would be a great warmup for Monday's ride. I would suggest leaving again, about 7:30 am. The very first part of the trail is not so pretty, and at times I drive to the first rest stop and start from there.

2. Maps of ride

The Glenwood Canyon Recreational Trail simply follows I-70 through the canyon.

3. Liability - yes, and Delphinus and qcpmsame were working on it. I sent them a PM last week, but no response. Are you there? About $10.00

The ride will be in Glenwood Springs, CO from

Saturday, August 29th through Wednesday, September 2nd, with the OFFICAL ride on Monday, August 31, 2009.

( For ride and Glenwood Springs info, please see the ride thread at
    Annual 50+ Bike Forum Ride? )

Folks can come anytime during this time period (or longer). This allows for anyone who could only come for the weekend to still meet with a lot of BFN 50+ folks, and would allow for bicycling the official ride on other than a weekend. We could even have a dinner on Sunday, the 30th AND something after the ride on Monday the 31st.

I think with that schedule, we meet EVERYONE'S needs, in one way or another.

Here is how it all added up (USE ^F5 to be sure you are seeing the latest update) - revised table 03/15/2009:

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-06-09 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D-Fox - Please add my wife and me. It's a probable (my youngest is starting his senior year in HS then, and we start school in mid - August, which could be a problem. By the way, my 53d birthday will be 9/1/09, so we need a 53-miler that day.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great, DF. I've marked my calendar.

Even with extra days before and after, I'll be able to make the Ididaride (Adirondack Mountains, NY) or Lancaster Covered Bridge Metric (PA) both the same day on Aug 16, and the Highlander Tour (Finger Lakes, NY) on Sept 11 & 12.

Now, I wonder what my Club Hypoxia buddies are doing before and after...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, DnvrFox, for taking the lead on getting this planned. Now that there is a date set, we can start making plans and working out the logistics of making this happen. I think this will be a lot of fun.

Now to figure out the best way to travel. Transporting bikes halfway across the country is not something I've ever given much thought.

Please change my total number to "2".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    outfreakinstandin. thanks.
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had this thread made into a sticky, as I anticipate that over almost a year, it will not receive many additional posts, and may get lost at the bottom of the pile.

I would like newbies to be able to see it and participate if they like.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I have had this thread made into a sticky, as I anticipate that over almost a year, it will not receive many additional posts, and may get lost at the bottom of the pile.

I would like newbies to be able to see it and participate if they like.
    Thanks for doing this Dnvr.

Now I can mark it on the calendar and start making plans
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can make any of the dates along with my wife as long as we know far enough in advance to try to schedule our time off. Not sure how to add my info to the chart.
    09 Specialized Crosstrail Elite
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DF, please change my number attending from "2 or 3" to "2". It will just be my wife and me. The kid will be too involved in school and marching band at that time to make the trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    DF, please change my number attending from "2 or 3" to "2". It will just be my wife and me. The kid will be too involved in school and marching band at that time to make the trip.

i already changed it. Try ^f5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dguest View Post
    I can make any of the dates along with my wife as long as we know far enough in advance to try to schedule our time off. Not sure how to add my info to the chart.
    Is November 21st far enough ahead of time?

I'll add you to the list tomorrow.

mud
    My Bikes
    07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife does not ride. I'm trying to talk here into coming along, I'm sure there will be others that might not ride.
    I'm not old! I've always been wrinkled, balding with a spare tire.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    i already changed it. Try ^f5
    Well, it wasn't changed when I wrote that.

Thanks. But I think now the number is going to be zero. I was trying to bite off more than I could chew.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are definite maybes.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My attendance is unlikely, but if I came, would anyone in the party be riding at a very leisurely pace. I don't like to participate in group rides because everyone wants to ride at a faster pace than I do. And, as I've written many times, I am prone to making frequent stops. Which would surely be the case at this beautiful locale.

I see the ride one-way is 44 miles. In all likelihood, I would take about 4.5 hours to cover that distance. Whereas many others even at what they consider to be a casual pace, would take 3 hours or less.

I would hate to slow everyone down. So if I did come, I would expect to see everyone at the social activities, but no so much on the ride itself. Unless there was another overly pokey person. Not that I mind riding by myself, as it has been 17 months since I rode with anyone else.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    My attendance is unlikely, but if I came, would anyone in the party be riding at a very leisurely pace. I don't like to participate in group rides because everyone wants to ride at a faster pace than I do. And, as I've written many times, I am prone to making frequent stops. Which would surely be the case at this beautiful locale.

I see the ride one-way is 44 miles. In all likelihood, I would take about 4.5 hours to cover that distance. Whereas many others even at what they consider to be a casual pace, would take 3 hours or less.

I would hate to slow everyone down. So if I did come, I would expect to see everyone at the social activities, but no so much on the ride itself. Unless there was another overly pokey person. Not that I mind riding by myself, as it has been 17 months since I rode with anyone else.
    I will ride with my wife on the "social ride." She does not ride fast, and takes a lot of stops. I figure we may all start together, but then go at whatever pace we want. Also, no way she will do 44 miles one-way.

You would be VERY welcomed to join us.

My Bikes
    Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DF, can you add my name to the list? Put me down for 1. I'm officially 50 in May.
    You go where you look

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcummings1 View Post
    DF, can you add my name to the list? Put me down for 1. I'm officially 50 in May.
    Sure - you'd be welcome even if you were only 49 in May

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's about a 50-50 chance (oh, make it a 50+ chance) I'll be on sabbatical in August 2009--if so I am so there! If not, no can do.

I'll find out in December.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    There's about a 50-50 chance (oh, make it a 50+ chance) I'll be on sabbatical in August 2009--if so I am so there! If not, no can do.

I'll find out in December.

We'll be standing by.

When I was in Higher Ed, I never heard of a sabbatical for bike riding. What a great institution!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

I intend to take my time and see things along the trails. I'm not coming all the way to CO to ride fast

I haven't learned to take pictures while riding, so I'll be doing a lot of stopping, too.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or I could ride half-way, turn around at 22 miles, and then finish about the same time as those doing 88 miles.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking it over with Red Rider and we think this may just be a doable thing. RR used to live in Glenwood and would really like to visit the scene of many of her more youthful haunts. I will be finished with my special project at work and should be able to get enough vacation time to drive out, ride and drive back. If we come, we will bring the "Bluejay" tandem and all are welcome to suck wheel as needed. We can also slow down to enjoy the scenery as well. There are many things that may happen between then and now that may change our plans. We will continue to monitor this and keep you guys posted if something comes up to change our plans to attend. Looking forward to putting faces to all these names.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way it's looking for me now is that I'll take the Amtrak to Grand Junction, arriving on Monday August 24.

I want to ride Colorado National Monument and Grand Mesa for a couple of days. And who knows, maybe ride down the road to Utah, just to tick it off the list.

Then I'll ride to Glenwood Springs to meet up with everyone on Friday August 28. I'll leave from GSC on Tuesday September 1.

Unless someone can talk me into something different…
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks tsl, I'll keep my eye on this thread & see what I'm doing. Hopefully I can make it as well.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast