Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-08, 02:12 PM   #1
vja4Him
Biking 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
vja4Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Modesto, California
Bikes: 27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
51 and Going Green ... !!!

I will be 52 May 18th, 2009, day that Mount Saint Helens blew her top ... !!! BTW ... I saw that happen from Portland, Oregon !!!

I've decided to get rid of my van! Will see if I can get the $1,000.00 rebate from the state for gross polluters. If not, I'll donate my van to somebody who can/will do the necessary work (rings, valves/seals, transmission, etc.).

Had a good ride to work yesterday across town. Picked up groceries (6 quarts of probiotics!) and other stuff. Heavy load biking home ....
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 07:51 PM   #2
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Congrats!

I'll be 52 just 30 days after you, and I went car-free in April of 1999. It'll be ten years this coming spring.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:04 PM   #3
vja4Him
Biking 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
vja4Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Modesto, California
Bikes: 27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Challenges Being Car-Free ... ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Congrats!

I'll be 52 just 30 days after you, and I went car-free in April of 1999. It'll be ten years this coming spring.
Hey ... I like your quote:

Quote:
My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.
My youngest son and I enjoy the library too, and riding bikes.

What are some of the challenges you have face, and still face, being car-free ... ???
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:49 PM   #4
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,961
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Challenges, challenges, lemme think…

I dunno. In ten years I've pretty much encountered everything and lived to tell. About the only thing that's still a pain is the occasional business lunch (for my business on the side). Of course, being single help an awful lot. As does not being a shopaholic.

The big thing is that it rewards planning ahead, while at the same time encouraging flexibility.

An example of the former: Grocery shopping (see my setup in your thread in Living Car-Free.) I like to shop on the way home from work. Which requires mounting the grocery panniers before going to work. Also, planning my weekly menu in advance, then double-checking the fridge, freezer and cupboards, saves extra strip to the store. Although it's only two miles away, it's less convenient to dash to the store for a forgotten item on bike.

An example of the latter: I have a friend who takes me to Sam's Club a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, it's a last minute thing on her schedule. So I have to be ready with a list and extra cash for whenever she may be going. Well, maybe that's more of a planning ahead thing.

Ah! Weather. In winter, when a nice day comes along, I like to be able to change my plans and carpé diem. That may mean a extra trip to the store, or a good day for other errands. In summer, it's the reverse. A nice day means dropping my plans and going for a nice long ride in the country.

Oh well. Living car free is a lot easier to figure out than many people think. It requires change, and learning new ways to do things, and dropping some old things too. I used to grocery shop once a month and fill an upright freezer, then eat out of the freezer all month. Now, I've gotten rid of the freezer and grocery shop five or six times a month.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 10:34 PM   #5
vja4Him
Biking 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
vja4Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Modesto, California
Bikes: 27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Challenges, challenges, lemme think…

I dunno. In ten years I've pretty much encountered everything and lived to tell. About the only thing that's still a pain is the occasional business lunch (for my business on the side). Of course, being single help an awful lot. As does not being a shopaholic.

The big thing is that it rewards planning ahead, while at the same time encouraging flexibility.

An example of the former: Grocery shopping (see my setup in your thread in Living Car-Free.) I like to shop on the way home from work. Which requires mounting the grocery panniers before going to work. Also, planning my weekly menu in advance, then double-checking the fridge, freezer and cupboards, saves extra strip to the store. Although it's only two miles away, it's less convenient to dash to the store for a forgotten item on bike.

An example of the latter: I have a friend who takes me to Sam's Club a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, it's a last minute thing on her schedule. So I have to be ready with a list and extra cash for whenever she may be going. Well, maybe that's more of a planning ahead thing.

Ah! Weather. In winter, when a nice day comes along, I like to be able to change my plans and carpé diem. That may mean a extra trip to the store, or a good day for other errands. In summer, it's the reverse. A nice day means dropping my plans and going for a nice long ride in the country.

Oh well. Living car free is a lot easier to figure out than many people think. It requires change, and learning new ways to do things, and dropping some old things too. I used to grocery shop once a month and fill an upright freezer, then eat out of the freezer all month. Now, I've gotten rid of the freezer and grocery shop five or six times a month.
I've been doing the same as you ... Planning ahead ... When I get a bike trailer, then I can stock up on certain items much easier. There is only one store in town with certain bulk items I need. I eat a wide variety of grains (barely, oats, maize, wheat, Scottish oats, farina, flax, and more ...).

I have my two boys to help with shopping too ... But only one extra bicycle for now. We can still take the bus some places, and Dial-A-Ride home. We found a nice church that we can walk to, so I'm no longer attending my home church, which I miss ...

Last edited by vja4Him; 11-20-08 at 10:54 PM.
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 12:18 AM   #6
Randochap
Recovering mentalist
 
Randochap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: On the Edge
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 2,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good on ya! It's keen to be green!
Randochap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 12:37 AM   #7
rcummings1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! I'm a lurker in the 50+ preparing for entry on my next birthday which happens to be the same as yours, May 18th. Good luck on the rebate.
rcummings1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 04:51 AM   #8
kr32
Senior Member
 
kr32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldorf Md.
Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kudos to you dude, but there is no way I could be car free, no way!
If I were to live in the city and work there as well maybe......a big maybe...but I don't so ...no way.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 11:01 AM   #9
vja4Him
Biking 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
vja4Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Modesto, California
Bikes: 27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May 18th - Mt. St. Helens Blew Her Top ... !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcummings1 View Post
Congrats! I'm a lurker in the 50+ preparing for entry on my next birthday which happens to be the same as yours, May 18th. Good luck on the rebate.
Wow ... !!! You too can celebrate Mount Saint Helens blowing her top on your birthday!!! I have a cousin in Aspen. She says it's beautiful there ....
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 11:03 AM   #10
vja4Him
Biking 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
vja4Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Modesto, California
Bikes: 27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Relocating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
Kudos to you dude, but there is no way I could be car free, no way!
If I were to live in the city and work there as well maybe......a big maybe...but I don't so ...no way.
You could always relocate ... I've read stories of people who have gone that route. Some people have even sold their home and vehicles, and hit the road ... !!!

http://downtheroad.org/Alaska-Canada-USA/
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 PM.