Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 and Going Green ... !!!

I will be 52 May 18th, 2009, day that Mount Saint Helens blew her top ... !!! BTW ... I saw that happen from Portland, Oregon !!!

I've decided to get rid of my van! Will see if I can get the $1,000.00 rebate from the state for gross polluters. If not, I'll donate my van to somebody who can/will do the necessary work (rings, valves/seals, transmission, etc.).

Had a good ride to work yesterday across town. Picked up groceries (6 quarts of probiotics!) and other stuff. Heavy load biking home ....

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!

I'll be 52 just 30 days after you, and I went car-free in April of 1999. It'll be ten years this coming spring.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenges Being Car-Free ... ???

Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Congrats!

I'll be 52 just 30 days after you, and I went car-free in April of 1999. It'll be ten years this coming spring.
    Hey ... I like your quote:

My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

My youngest son and I enjoy the library too, and riding bikes.

What are some of the challenges you have face, and still face, being car-free ... ???

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Challenges, challenges, lemme think…

I dunno. In ten years I've pretty much encountered everything and lived to tell. About the only thing that's still a pain is the occasional business lunch (for my business on the side). Of course, being single help an awful lot. As does not being a shopaholic.

The big thing is that it rewards planning ahead, while at the same time encouraging flexibility.

An example of the former: Grocery shopping (see my setup in your thread in Living Car-Free.) I like to shop on the way home from work. Which requires mounting the grocery panniers before going to work. Also, planning my weekly menu in advance, then double-checking the fridge, freezer and cupboards, saves extra strip to the store. Although it's only two miles away, it's less convenient to dash to the store for a forgotten item on bike.

An example of the latter: I have a friend who takes me to Sam's Club a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, it's a last minute thing on her schedule. So I have to be ready with a list and extra cash for whenever she may be going. Well, maybe that's more of a planning ahead thing.

Ah! Weather. In winter, when a nice day comes along, I like to be able to change my plans and carpé diem. That may mean a extra trip to the store, or a good day for other errands. In summer, it's the reverse. A nice day means dropping my plans and going for a nice long ride in the country.

Oh well. Living car free is a lot easier to figure out than many people think. It requires change, and learning new ways to do things, and dropping some old things too. I used to grocery shop once a month and fill an upright freezer, then eat out of the freezer all month. Now, I've gotten rid of the freezer and grocery shop five or six times a month.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Challenges, challenges, lemme think…

I dunno. In ten years I've pretty much encountered everything and lived to tell. About the only thing that's still a pain is the occasional business lunch (for my business on the side). Of course, being single help an awful lot. As does not being a shopaholic.

The big thing is that it rewards planning ahead, while at the same time encouraging flexibility.

An example of the former: Grocery shopping (see my setup in your thread in Living Car-Free.) I like to shop on the way home from work. Which requires mounting the grocery panniers before going to work. Also, planning my weekly menu in advance, then double-checking the fridge, freezer and cupboards, saves extra strip to the store. Although it's only two miles away, it's less convenient to dash to the store for a forgotten item on bike.

An example of the latter: I have a friend who takes me to Sam's Club a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, it's a last minute thing on her schedule. So I have to be ready with a list and extra cash for whenever she may be going. Well, maybe that's more of a planning ahead thing.

Ah! Weather. In winter, when a nice day comes along, I like to be able to change my plans and carpé diem. That may mean a extra trip to the store, or a good day for other errands. In summer, it's the reverse. A nice day means dropping my plans and going for a nice long ride in the country.

Oh well. Living car free is a lot easier to figure out than many people think. It requires change, and learning new ways to do things, and dropping some old things too. I used to grocery shop once a month and fill an upright freezer, then eat out of the freezer all month. Now, I've gotten rid of the freezer and grocery shop five or six times a month.
    I've been doing the same as you ... Planning ahead ... When I get a bike trailer, then I can stock up on certain items much easier. There is only one store in town with certain bulk items I need. I eat a wide variety of grains (barely, oats, maize, wheat, Scottish oats, farina, flax, and more ...).

I have my two boys to help with shopping too ... But only one extra bicycle for now. We can still take the bus some places, and Dial-A-Ride home. We found a nice church that we can walk to, so I'm no longer attending my home church, which I miss ...
    Last edited by vja4Him; 11-20-08 at 09:54 PM.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on ya! It's keen to be green!
    VeloWeb | VeloWebLog

"The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind." ~William Saroyan

My Bikes
    Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I'm a lurker in the 50+ preparing for entry on my next birthday which happens to be the same as yours, May 18th. Good luck on the rebate.
    You go where you look

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos to you dude, but there is no way I could be car free, no way!
    If I were to live in the city and work there as well maybe......a big maybe...but I don't so ...no way.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May 18th - Mt. St. Helens Blew Her Top ... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcummings1 View Post
    Congrats! I'm a lurker in the 50+ preparing for entry on my next birthday which happens to be the same as yours, May 18th. Good luck on the rebate.
    Wow ... !!! You too can celebrate Mount Saint Helens blowing her top on your birthday!!! I have a cousin in Aspen. She says it's beautiful there ....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relocating ...

Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Kudos to you dude, but there is no way I could be car free, no way!
    If I were to live in the city and work there as well maybe......a big maybe...but I don't so ...no way.
    You could always relocate ... I've read stories of people who have gone that route. Some people have even sold their home and vehicles, and hit the road ... !!!

http://downtheroad.org/Alaska-Canada-USA/