Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moved to the south to get nice riding weather

Thought the title may invoke some interest. The wife and I moved to NC 12 years ago in an attempt to gewt some warmer nicer weather. We started bike riding in July of this year and have really enjoyed. We have logged 700 miles since July but now the nice warm weather has left us since we bought our new Cannondale road bikes. For the past 2 weeks it has either been raining or the temp have been in the low 40's at best. This morning we awoke to snow. This is the earliest I can recall snow since we have moved here from PA. I am hoping that we can get bock to our normal temps af the high 50's to low 60's and get a few more miles logged prior to the end of the year. I guess the moral of the story is cold weather follows those that try to get away from it.
    09 Specialized Crosstrail Elite
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is rather cold for this early in the season. It's been about 10 degrees below normal for the past week or so. The temp was 24F yesterday and 31F this morning. It's supposed to get all the way up to 45 this afternoon.
    I guess some places have global warming and we have global cooling.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 degrees on my ride in to work today.
    MN makes you appreciate summer..... all 6 days of it.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our third snowfall in Nov. here in the NC mountains. That's much earlier than usual for sure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snow does seem early, I am in that strange location where we never know what to expect. We never know wheather we should pay attention to the piedmont forcast or the mountain forcast. Being on the edge of the mountains in the foothills one day the weather for the Mountains calls for snow and the piedmont calls for sunny and 55 we may get the snow. The next day they call for snow in the mountains again and sunny in the piedmont we end up with the snow. Never know what to expect.
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

My Bikes
    Cruzbike Conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't move far enough south. Was a bit nippy this morning, but supposed to be up to mid 60s to 70s in the afternoon.
    Bill from Sebastian

Mongoose Cruzbike Conversion
    Giant OCR2
    "Pain is only temporary. Quitting is forever." Lance Armstrong

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter is presently in grad school at Chapel Hill, NC. I really envy her winter weather. Would love to spend Jan-Feb down there. But not summers, that place is brutal during the summer.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can get warm, But we are far enough west that we end up with moderate temps all year long, We have the mountains just to our west that stop a lot of the snow in the winter and we are far enough west of the coast and at a high enough elevation to be spared some of the opressive heat in the summer.
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could probably deal with Asheville in the summer.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I could probably deal with Asheville in the summer.
    If it gets warm in the Asheville area in summer I just ride up the mountain. It's rarely over 75F up there even on the hottest days.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mid 80's here today but supposed to cool off to the 70's by this weekend. Probaby even warmer in San Diego where DG lives.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    It's mid 80's here today but supposed to cool off to the 70's by this weekend. Probaby even warmer in San Diego where DG lives.

Rick / OCRR
    I'm usually not affected by the SoCal weather envy bug but I feel a bit of weakness today. We've had some abnormally cool weather lately. No smoke recently though.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our coldest week of the year here in CenTx..it was 31 this AM and is now 60+. I think I'll go for a ride.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I'm usually not affected by the SoCal weather envy bug but I feel a bit of weakness today. We've had some abnormally cool weather lately. No smoke recently though.
    True, the smoke was really bad for three days, then just a bit bad for a couple more. All clear now, though we remain in the red zone for fire hazard.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, the smoke was really bad for three days, then just a bit bad for a couple more. All clear now, though we remain in the red zone for fire hazard.

Rick / OCRR
    Red Zone? That's about 48/52 weeks a year out there. I hope you've seen the last of the fires though, that has to be scary.

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was wearing shorts,short sleeves and sandels Saturday. I was wondering what happened too. Lp

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Zone? That's about 48/52 weeks a year out there. I hope you've seen the last of the fires though, that has to be scary.
    Yes it is scary and no we probably haven't seen the last of them. Some years when we get a lot of rain in the winter we'll go ten weeks at a time without being in the red zone . . . doesn't happen often.

I guess it goes with the territory along with earthquakes. Every place has something to make it scary occasionally.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it gets warm in the Asheville area in summer I just ride up the mountain. It's rarely over 75F up there even on the hottest days.
    Except that day in June this year we rode to the top of Mt Mitchell

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like temps in the 50s. Chapel Hill has an avg high of 49 in Jan and 53 in Feb. Would feel like autumn. Lots of nice green pines too. Sounds very good to me. But not those 90-95 & humid days in July & August.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    temps below normal here in Norfolk, Virginia too. Had some flurries today but nothing sticking to the ground....yet.

Supposed to be warmer by the first of the week. Back into the fifties again!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Except that day in June this year we rode to the top of Mt Mitchell
    And I had just got that out of my mind. Thanks.

My Bikes
    Merlin Solis, Trek Pilot 2.1, Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only 48 degrees here today. Been cold all week. I ride after work and it gets colder as the ride goes on. I'll take those hot, humid days back right now. Heat doesn't bother me like the cold does. Can't get comfortable and hard to breath when its cold.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrupmaker View Post
    It was only 48 degrees here today. ... Can't get comfortable and hard to breath when its cold.
    But you said it was 48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrupmaker View Post
    It was only 48 degrees here today. Been cold all week. I ride after work and it gets colder as the ride goes on. I'll take those hot, humid days back right now. Heat doesn't bother me like the cold does. Can't get comfortable and hard to breath when its cold.
    Expected temperature when I get out of work tomorrow....upper teens. They're calling for a
    bunch of Lake Effect Snow so the studded snows will get a good workout but I should have a
    tailwind out of the NW. The temp. on the ride in around sunset was 24 degrees with an 8 mph headwind which was a little unpleasant.

48 degrees....sigh, one can only dream.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is scary and no we probably haven't seen the last of them. Some years when we get a lot of rain in the winter we'll go ten weeks at a time without being in the red zone . . . doesn't happen often.

I guess it goes with the territory along with earthquakes. Every place has something to make it scary occasionally.

Rick / OCRR
    It does seem like we have had more fires than normal or maybe they are just bigger fires over the last few years. No Hurricanes or tornadoes yet however. It started out at about 60 degrees here this morning and was in the mid 70s when I got home. However I had my fill of rain when I graduated from HighSchool in Seattle. But it does seem as if the OP didn't move far enough south. Though I find Florida a bit humid for my Souther Californian body. I have never had the pleasure of riding there before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast