Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any women here ride Terry?

Mrs. Road Fan is angling for a bike with drop bars as a "Hurray, my back is better!" gift, and loves everything Georgena Terry has done. There's a used steel Terry Symmetry available in our area in her seat tube size. Anyone here have experience with any Terry bikes? Is this worth pursuing? Bike is said to be in excellent condition, but I don't really care about that since I'll have to convert it to indexing for her before summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never ridden a Terry and like any bike, I've read views both ways. What year, components, price?

There is a Symmetry, not clear what year, on Sierra Trading Post here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...For-Women.html

the components seem to be lower end.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short women that I've talked to who own them LOVE them. During the time that I had my bike store I never had a serious buyer test ride a Terry and not buy it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife test road one for a week and hated it. Wound up buying a Roubaix, which she was also never satisfied with. This year she sold the Roubaix and got a custom built Guru Evolvo which she loves. There is no woman's specific geometry. There is your wife's specific geometry.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    My wife test road one for a week and hated it. Wound up buying a Roubaix, which she was also never satisfied with. This year she sold the Roubaix and got a custom built Guru Evolvo which she loves. There is no woman's specific geometry. There is your wife's specific geometry.
    Same story here, after trying multiple saddles for the wife, I bought her a Terry, she rode it about 15 mi. It may be here somewhere still.

She wound up with a Halo http://bikerhodeisland.com/pages/products.htm. It's probably not a saddle for a serious rider, but at least she can use it.

My Bikes
    Road bike, road bike, road bike (folder). See a trend here?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Terry Ti Butterfly saddle.

Can't offer insight on the bikes.
    Zero gallons to the mile

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a woman but have a Terry Fly saddle on my cross bike and a Terry Fly for the Cure saddle on my road bike.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGirl View Post
    I've never ridden a Terry and like any bike, I've read views both ways. What year, components, price?

There is a Symmetry, not clear what year, on Sierra Trading Post here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...For-Women.html

the components seem to be lower end.
    The one I'm looking at is on Ebay, 54 cm, steel, and seems to have Shimano 600, at least the triple crank is Biopace. It's being sold by a local shop as it turns out, and they say its made of Tange 1 tubing, which of course is double-buted CrMo, and its lugged. Based on all this I'm guessing the year as 85 to 92. The one on Sierra is 631 and Tiagra, but the one we're looking at might not be indexed since it has DT shifters.

Thanks!

TX for the saddle comments, too!
    Last edited by Road Fan; 11-22-08 at 04:52 PM.

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 3 Terry bikes. The Flora, a hybrid no longer produced, was the first bike I ever owned that actually fit me. I got a Symmetry, but let the store talk me into a 17.5 when I needed the 16. I gave both of those away to folks who needed them more than I did, and got a Col de la Madeleine 16. I used it for all types of cycling for years. Still have it and still ride it. I really like the shorter TT, especially now that my back is less flexible. My only complaint is that needing to carry 2 different sized tubes is a bulky pain in the saddle bag. Sometimes I only take the 700, on the theory that you "almost never" flat your front. However, if I'm doing a solo century I take both sizes. They are expensive, and if you aren't particularly short, you may be able to find cheaper WSD's or fit a men's. Terry will ship to any bike shop for assemby, they insist on professional assembly, let you try for a couple of weeks and will refund your money if you aren't happy with the bike. You might have to pay the return shipping. If you can't find one used locally, check their website for sale bikes and also classified listing of used bikes.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we won't be getting this Terry. My underused Woodrup is very flexy and supple, and she's going to try it. The top tube might be a tad long, but we'll get a sizing and see. I'll need to convert it to Ergo so she can have indexing, but I'd have needed to add brifters at least on the Terry. The Woodrup has most of a Campy drivetrain on it now.

We save around $400, too.

Again, thanks to all for your input!

Road Fan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case there are some readers who were not aware, Terry makes bicycles, not just saddles. I think more people know about the saddles and may not know about the bikes. Terry was one of, if not "the" first companies to design bicycles with geometry specifically intended for women.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Just in case there are some readers who were not aware, Terry makes bicycles, not just saddles. I think more people know about the saddles and may not know about the bikes. Terry was one of, if not "the" first companies to design bicycles with geometry specifically intended for women.

Thanks, Blues, I HAVE been asking about the bicycles, not the saddles.

Road Fan