Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reducing belly fat

This came from Dr Mirkin's newsletter. Interesting and it looks to me like its another reason that simply riding along does not do nearly as much as including some hard interval type riding into our rides.

Researchers at the University of Virginia show that
    intense exercise is far more effective in reducing belly fat
    than less intense exercise (Medicine & Science in Sports
    & Exercise, November 2008).
    Storing fat primarily in your belly usually means that
    you have very high insulin levels which increase risk for heart
    attacks, strokes, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and even some
    cancers. Insulin causes fat to be deposited in your belly.
    Exercise makes muscles more sensitive to insulin so
    that you need less to do the same job. The more intensely you
    exercise, the more sensitive muscles become to insulin. You
    cannot exercise intensely every day because intense exercise
    damages muscles and you have to allow time for muscles to
    recover. However, you can check with your doctor to make sure
    that you do not have a health problem that can make exercise
    unsafe for you. If you pass, try to exercise intensely at
    least once a week.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I to assume that my furious mouse clicking while eating an English muffin does not constitute intense exercise? Is that where I'm going wrong?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    try to exercise intensely at
    least once a week.
    I am definitely going to have to give this a try because leisurely munching on Philly cheese sandwiches w/Cheez Whiz topping is NOT giving me the results I am looking for!
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a definition of the where the "intense" threshhold" is. I don't want to do anymore than I have to. It is a subcategory of my motto: 'How bad can I be and still get into heaven?"
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i'm not sure what "intense" really means...my high school XC coach in his late 40s or early 50s ran with us pretty much every practice, including interval workouts and runs of up to 11 miles, even in high altitude during cross country camp (in a day we ran 21 miles, in 2 separate runs).

he still had some belly, though very little for his age i guess.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chemotherapy seems to do a good job of removing belly fat, too, but I can't say that I recommend it.

I've already added 6 pounds this fall. Guess I need to start sprinting.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor (also a neighbor and cycling partner) has been telling me this for years in regard to controlling blood sugar. As I got older and eventually retired, I started exercising at a lower level of intensity--still using 5000 calories a week or so, but longer and slower. He's a genetic freak, an ultradistance rider and crosscountry ski racer, and he used to encourage me to keep going hard at least a day or two a week. I didn't want to (it's HARD to go hard when you get older), but my glucose and belly fat crept up even though my total (theoretical) calorie consumption hadn't changed.
    One of these days I'll try his theory. Maybe after i finish this sandwich....

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    Chemotherapy seems to do a good job of removing belly fat, too, but I can't say that I recommend it.

I've already added 6 pounds this fall. Guess I need to start sprinting.
    +1
    Radiation therapy to the neck and tongue is also quite effective in reducing belly fat and is equally non-recommended. I plan to do a fair amount of hard pulls into the wind and hill repeats along with aggressive MTB riding to help me keep from regaining most of the weight I have lost. But I also plan to include many miles and hours of just cruising along enjoying the scenery.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just introduced intensive intervals into my weekly schedule (now on the trainer). 1 minute flat out, HR in the red zone, 5 minutes of rest. Repeat 6 times. Ugh! Sometimes I can't wait for that minute to end!

Gray Haired Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntyz View Post
    I've just introduced intensive intervals into my weekly schedule (now on the trainer). 1 minute flat out, HR in the red zone, 5 minutes of rest. Repeat 6 times. Ugh! Sometimes I can't wait for that minute to end!
    Google "Tabata intervals" and try those.
    Dave Clary
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Home: http://davidclary.com
    Blog: DaveGetsFit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I need a definition of the where the "intense" threshhold" is. I don't want to do anymore than I have to. It is a subcategory of my motto: 'How bad can I be and still get into heaven?"
    Eureaka! I've made a discovery in this area. The more fat I store around my belly,
    the less exercise it takes to break a sweat. I thereby hypothesise that it is posible
    to store enough fat around one's belly to reach a point where eating is intense
    exercise.

Seriously, I've found it's getting difficult just to get up to my third floor bedroom these
    days and it is definitely time to get serious about thinning down. I seldom ride hard
    enough to loose weight but have no problem accomplishing weight loss by incorporating daily
    use of the Schwinn Airdyne in our basement which I believe supports the info
    brought to us by howsteepisit.

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be serious for a moment, I've found that strength training is, for me, an essential element to managing weight. When you've built some muscle, you actually burn additional calories even when you're just sitting around. Here's a link to a pretty good strength building plan, but there are lots of them around:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...10cfe793cd____
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Older "newbie"
    My Bikes
    Fuji Newest 4.0 just bought 7/26/08!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I started getting a belly 3 years ago. I look 3-4 months preggers. Guess it's time for stomach crunches. Just turn 50 this spring. What excersizes are you folks doing?
    2008 Giant Sedona

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
    -Frank Zappa

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    I am definitely going to have to give this a try because leisurely munching on Philly cheese sandwiches w/Cheez Whiz topping is NOT giving me the results I am looking for!
    Yes, you are going to have try interval munch training to up your intensity!!

I have held the belief for a while that much of this sort of research is aimed at the obese. People who exercise regularly and with some intensity, and moderate their food intake, don't have fat bellies.

When the obese finally get the message and start working out, they are exercising at a high intensity just by walking any distance.

The walking gets their heart rate into the fat burning zone, and their bodies lose weight quite rapidly.

However, as the fat disappears, they maintain the same intensity rather than increasing it -- that is, they continue to walk rather than, say, jog. Or they continue to ride at 10mph average, rather than upping it to 12 or 13mph.

Their fitness has improved and they've had rapid weight loss. But their heart rate in exercise effectively drops out of the fat-burn zone. It's then they plateau and become frustrated that their weight loss has stopped.

I've also maintained that in order to undertake sustained, endurance activity, there is a need for long steady distance (LSD) training.

This conditions the cario-vascular and respiratory systems, but also enables excess weight to be lost. Note that it's long steady distance -- slow is sometimes used erroneously, but steady means that the fitter you are at the outset, the higher the average speed is likely to be, so slow is not the right word.

Interval training is part and parcel of the overall training plan, but if started too early, I believe, does nothing for stamina.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dclaryjr View Post
    Google "Tabata intervals" and try those.
    Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to try it (cough, cough).

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really pretty simple - eat less - ride more (not that I can do it).

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    To be serious for a moment, I've found that strength training is, for me, an essential element to managing weight. When you've built some muscle, you actually burn additional calories even when you're just sitting around.
    +1. I'm a total convert from reading Younger Next Year: Six days a week of exercise, with two of those being strength training.

Also recommended: Strength Training Past 50.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed View Post
    It's really pretty simple - eat less - ride more (not that I can do it).
    And what, precisely, is 'simple' about either of those?

Seriously though. I've got to be serious because I'm supposed to be studying MARC records and the Dewey system and all that sort of stuff

Ride more? Not going to happen unfortunately while I've got kids tying up my weekends, but that's not stopping me working on it.

Commuting is a good way of building up the kilometres without realising it - I even get an enforced 'interval'. There's a pedestrian crossing I use to get across six lanes of traffic. I hit the button and everyone stops for me Trouble is, sooner or later I'm going to get someone who didn't appreciate getting stopped, and there's not a lot of room in the kerb side lane. So I ride across the crossing, then get the head down and go like blazes. If I can reach and hold 40km/hr, I can just reach the next intersection before the traffic finally catches up with me Good thing I don't wear the HRM while commuting or the poor thing'd be having hysterics

Last year, I was riding a lot and riding hard, as evidenced by my HRM with my heart rate regularly averaging in the 150's. To be honest, it made not the slightest bit of difference to my weight and I suspect those more knowledgable than me would not be surprised. I did try adding a form of interval training - the lad and I would go to the local velodrome and I'd send an hour on my fixed gear bike doing intervals. It made not the slightest bit of difference but man was it a hoot.

I've tried this 'eating less' carry on. Maybe I'm a glutton. I know I suffer from being taught as a kid to always eat everything (how many of us bear that burden?). I'm the cook and could cook less ... maybe but it doesn't work out that way. So I compensate by cooking as healthily as I can - everything fresh, no fat, lots and lots of veges, etc, so while meals may be big, the majority is stuff that's supposed to be alright to eat in quantity. The CSIRO (the aussie science organisation) put out a diet designed to lose weight and be healthy based on low carbs and high protein, and it works well but cut the carbs too much and you need carbs to fuel cycling. Funny how everyone I know who's been on it lost a lot of weight ... and then put it all back on again.

Truth be known, I probably drink too many calories

Weight loss - you need exercise and lots of it, but the most important thing is what you eat. Both require a lot of discipline and for this wombat, I need my life to be well settled for that to happen. So I ride lots and try to eat well and try to resist overdoing the 'naughty stuff' and try to be happy with the body that's produced (happy is the MOST important thing you can do because unhappy or depressed is a bigger problem than eating the wrong stuff or not exercising). Nor do I want to buy into the weight loss/gain cycles that many otherwise rational people get into. I'm aiming to live a healthy lifestyle and if that provides opportunities to reduce a bit of weight, I'll take them.

And none of this is a gibe at those who do consciously work on their weight and have had success. I applaud you, I really do.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post

And none of this is a gibe at those who do consciously work on their weight and have had success. I applaud you, I really do.

Richard
    A recent article in the Health section of the Los Angeles Times compared the effectiveness of different diets or methods of weight loss. I usually skim over this type of information because I don't believe in "diets" or "dieting" because they usually are a temporary way of eating to lose weight in a hurry. Anyway... there was one thing that jumped out and stuck with me -- that maintaining weight loss requires "strong self control". Not just plain ol' self control, but STRONG self control -- daily (or hourly) saying "no" to excess or unhealthy foods. It doesn't happen by magic... it requires a LOT of STRONG self-control. IMO there's really no other way around it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    A recent article in the Health section of the Los Angeles Times compared the effectiveness of different diets or methods of weight loss. I usually skim over this type of information because I don't believe in "diets" or "dieting" because they usually are a temporary way of eating to lose weight in a hurry. Anyway... there was one thing that jumped out and stuck with me -- that maintaining weight loss requires "strong self control". Not just plain ol' self control, but STRONG self control -- daily (or hourly) saying "no" to excess or unhealthy foods. It doesn't happen by magic... it requires a LOT of STRONG self-control. IMO there's really no other way around it.
    +1!

For me it has been a year-long attempt to change my lifestyle (whatever THAT is). First order of business was eating breakfast on a regular basis. I had a 40-year habit of skipping breakfast and that was hard to break. I finally told myself that eating brakfast was like take a prescription; don't worry about the (lack of) enjoyment, just do it! After 9 months, I finally look forward to breakfast.

Another big thing for me was re-learning what hunger really feels like. I mean being actually hungry because your body needs nourishment, not just eating because something sounds tasty. My lesson learned: we have WAY to much food available all the time!

Then came the focus on what to eat and choosing more healthy foods. And when to eat those foods.

I am proud that I've been able to drop 40 lbs in the last year and my blood numbers are a ton better, too. But I realize that it's hard and constant work. The big turning point for me was when I starting food as primarily a source of nourishment and the pleasure of it is secondary. Once I got those priorities set everything else was a piece of cake.

My Bikes
    LeMond Tourmalet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Note that it's long steady distance -- slow is sometimes used erroneously, but steady means that the fitter you are at the outset, the higher the average speed is likely to be, so slow is not the right word.
    Not to be too persnickety about this, but the acronym LSD does mean Long Slow Distance (at least in the athletic training world ). This is a training method that was first popularized in the mid-late 1960's by the editor of Runner's World, Joe Henderson. At that time, RW was about the only magazine dedicated to running and training, and was a lot more focused on the serious runner than current magazines are.

And it should be noted that the SLOW part was relative to a runner's level of training, so there is no logical contradiction to your larger point regarding higher speed. For a 2:40 marathoner, an LSD run might be at 7:30 pace, which is faster than race pace for most mortals who run a full mary.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1!

For me it has been a year-long attempt to change my lifestyle (whatever THAT is). First order of business was eating breakfast on a regular basis. I had a 40-year habit of skipping breakfast and that was hard to break. I finally told myself that eating brakfast was like take a prescription; don't worry about the (lack of) enjoyment, just do it! After 9 months, I finally look forward to breakfast.

Another big thing for me was re-learning what hunger really feels like. I mean being actually hungry because your body needs nourishment, not just eating because something sounds tasty. My lesson learned: we have WAY to much food available all the time!

Then came the focus on what to eat and choosing more healthy foods. And when to eat those foods.

I am proud that I've been able to drop 40 lbs in the last year and my blood numbers are a ton better, too. But I realize that it's hard and constant work. The big turning point for me was when I starting food as primarily a source of nourishment and the pleasure of it is secondary. Once I got those priorities set everything else was a piece of cake.
    Congratulations on making successful lifestyle changes and dropping some weight!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    Mom, I think we were suckered in by the same bogus fitness book!

Road Fan

Gray Haired Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to try it (cough, cough).
    I do those puppies on either a LeMond Revmaster or Concept2 Rower. They're killers but you go in mentally knowing that it's all over in eight minutes!! And BTW I started about 15 months ago at 242. This morning I was officially under the Mendoza line--198!!!
    Dave Clary
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Home: http://davidclary.com
    Blog: DaveGetsFit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    +1. I'm a total convert from reading Younger Next Year: Six days a week of exercise, with two of those being strength training.

Also recommended: Strength Training Past 50.
    I can't say enough good things about "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore. Just the bible if you want to learn to lift. It has 120 amazon reviews and 115 of them are 5 star, the rest 4 star. They give you something like 25 pages on squats. The passion to TEACH how to lift just jumps off the page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast