Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reached my goal .... Now what

Last year, my first on a road bike, the miles just mounted. By December 31, I was just shy of 2000 miles. This year I decided I would shoot for 3000. I broke through that barrier on yesterdays ride. With the weather getting colder and the holidays looming and only 6 weeks left to the year I don't know how much more riding I'll get in. There's always the trainer but trainer miles don't count. Anyone else experiencing this same dilemma? Heck, what do I shoot for next year. This year I sometimes feel like I spent too much time on the bike at the xpense of other things I like to do.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either ride more, ride harder, or do something else that's challenging?

"Think Outside the Cage"

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep riding. It's even better now that there's no pressure to make your goal. I'm not quite at my goal, but I can make it with just one ride a week, so the pressure is off for me. To me, if the reaching the goal becomes to much like work (or training?) it's not fun anymore.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reached my goal this week, too. I always do fewer long rides in the cooler weather anyway, so I'm just on cruise control the rest of the year.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! What next? Just follow my three step plan listed below.

1. Enjoy the accomplishment for a day or two.

2. Set new goal.

3. Begin work on new goal.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep rinding. That's what I do.

Last year, my second season, I hit my mileage goal (4,000) during Thanksgiving week. I thought another 5% was too easy, but another 10% seemed too much. So I added on our county sales tax of 8¼% (330 more miles). Made it with 3.26 miles to spare.

This year I seriously underestimated how much I'd ride and hit my goal of 4,750 in the first week of November. But I'd also picked an arbitrary pie-in-the-sky "challenge goal" of 5,200. As of today, I'm only 233.74 miles from that.

I had also set other non-mileage goals for the year and have hit nearly every one.

Still working on what next year's goals might be.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [rant]
    Goals.
    So your riding hinges on a number eh? Why? Don't you enjoy riding? Don't you ride to enjoy yourself? This is something you come across periodically, people who are lost because they've reached their 'goal' and I've come to the conclusion that this 'goal setting' racket is just that, a racket, a con job. It's nothing real and consequently, pointless.

This is not because setting yourself a goal to work towards is pointless in itself, it's clearly not, but it should be a minor part of the whole. Similarly, 'training' which implies riding just to meet performance goals or 'riding to get fit'.

For heaven's sake, life's far too valuable to waste chasing some nebulous thing you've made up on the spot or worse, you've been told you have to chase by marketing men or journalists.

DO THINGS on your bike. Go to the cafe for a coffee, you know, that funny little cafe in that town 50 miles up the coast. Go explore a part of your local country side - how the hell can you enjoy the scenery when you're belting through it in a 'bunch' and trying to maintain the 'paceline' and all the other nonsense that goes on with group riding. But it's not just 'roadies' who fall into this trap. Go onto the commuter forum and you'll find people who don't do anything but commute, fixie riders who are there for the 'scene' and I'm quite sure you'll find tourers who are touring just because 'it's the thing you do'.

Pah!

Make your bike part of your life and enjoy is. They are immensely versatile tools ... well, they can be when you ignore the marketing idiots. Trouble is, many people get stuck in their single purpose rut and miss out on a lot of living as a result.

Richard
    [/rant]
    take this as a general rant, kindly triggered by the OP but not directed at him
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Distance goals are a mug's game. Just enjoy the ride. I have no goals further in advance than the ride I am on.

europa posted just before me so, yeah, what he said.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I could do a big rant putting down those who don't want to do mileage goals, but I don't think I'll stoop to the level some here have, and I can't feature myself ever jumping into the middle of a "stop and smell the roses" thread to lecture that everyone should set a mileage goal. Instead, I'll just point out that some of us really enjoy working toward goals.
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 11-22-08 at 08:42 PM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different strokes for different folks. (and so on and so on and shoobie doobie doobie)

Each of has different wiring which determines what does and does not motivate us. Figure out what is important to you and what works to push you to accomplish it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bulk of my rides are solo, and stop and smell the roses. Thats why I'm wondering about next year. I think I'd like to get my speed up a bit so I can ride the same number of miles, but spend more time in my kayak, or hiking or just fishing. Looking at my log in the training center software that came with my edge 305, it took 245 hours (not counting stopped time) to ride that 3000 miles.I maybe 50+ but I'm still working full time. I just think I need to diversify a little more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    ...I just think I need to diversify a little more.
    Well, youngster you hit it in the last part of your post. The key is to diversify. Do as many different and interesting things as you can. Do things that are mentally challenging to keep the brain going. Do other things that are artistic. Yet others that are athletic in different ways.

Each will help you stay physically fit and, most important, mentally strong. Plus, most people don't diversify so you will get to meet a lot of different people; people who will enrich your life.

Live! Don't be a slave to any numbers but your bank account balance and the calculation of whether it will support your life.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year I was more bike-heavy than any year previous, and I'm paying for it. I'm all about balance, so I'm setting new goals to include more weight training and other activities not involving a bike. Once I sort out the time management (e.g., walk the dogs or hit the gym when it's dark, ride the trainer in the early mornings instead of reading BF [sacrilege, I know]) I'll be able to address those issues.

Really, it all comes down to what you value and what motivates you. Only you know that.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    [rant]
    Goals.
    So your riding hinges on a number eh? Why? Don't you enjoy riding? Don't you ride to enjoy yourself? This is something you come across periodically, people who are lost because they've reached their 'goal' and I've come to the conclusion that this 'goal setting' racket is just that, a racket, a con job. It's nothing real and consequently, pointless.

blah blah blah blah
    If goals aren't your thing, why did you bother to click on the thread about goals? And then spend 15 minutes typing a document about how stupid goals are?

I think you just like the clickety-click sound your keyboard makes.
    Last edited by Roody; 11-22-08 at 11:48 PM.

"Think Outside the Cage"

lube addict
    My Bikes
    Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heel, Roody, heel! The dude was just adding his 2 cents just like the rest of us. Set whatever goal holds personal meaning for you but why diss someone who is only trying to encourage us to enjoy the journey?

Love ya, too, Roody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I initially read that as "reached my goat." That's what I get for reading BF too early in the morning. Do whatever feels right - maybe shoot for 3,300 miles by the end of the year. You can do it - it's cars that have problems starting on cold days, not bikes. Anyhow, congradulations on setting a goal and reaching it!

Paul

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quickest, but not the cheapest way to set more goals within biking is to buy a brand new bike that supposedly will help you set more goals.

If you want to climb better, get that carbon 15 lb bike with stiff wheels. If you want to ride long distance get that same 15 lb carbon bike. That wheelset alone will cost you more than your starter bike.

You'll go faster only because you think you can. Believe me, it will take you to a whole new level. Cervelo RS (retired senior).

Riding a bitsa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused about the OP. Was your ultimate goal 3k miles / year? So you are a moth who has actually flown to the sun and survived? Now back on earth you wonder at the mundane of it all. Is that it?

I'd ask why you set the goal? If it's to see how much you can do then, set the next goal at 3,500. Or set it to do a particular purpose like ride a double century or a century if you haven't. Or try a very difficult century like the Ring of Fire we have here.

Or diversify and add mountain biking with the goal of doing some spectacular trails which demand skill and conditioning. Frex, a buddy of mine finished, with buckle, the Leadville 100 when he was 45. He thought that sort of riding was beyond him but two years ago he got serious again and made it.

The choices are limitless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the OP, thats pretty much it. Attaining the goal did not seem that difficult after the fact. I think next year will be to ride at least one century. And hopefully that wont take as much of my time so I can get back to some of the other things I enjoy as well. I have to admit that in the current economic climate cycling is probably one of the least costly of all my endeavors.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    I initially read that as "reached my goat."
    I find goals are much easier to set than goats. Goats tend to wanter about on their own.

Likewise, reaching goals is easier than reaching goats, since the goats run away.

And those cycling goats, boy, they sure can climb!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At ages 76 and 73 we do not set cycling goals.
    Hell, we are retired; the goal is to have fun while we still can!
    Did check mileage log and got in over 4,500 miles so far.
    Our worst/best riding was in 1984 when we covered over 13,000 miles on our tandem (and was working full time).
    Goals are not necessary; however, to each his/her own.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are 3000 miles you should at least shoot to get to 5000 kilometers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have goats across the street. I haven't tried to set them. They are cute. The end.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known a number of cyclists over the decades who:

1) Got their dream bike
    2) Met their mileage/race-finish/number-of-events goal
    3) Went on their ultimate ride

and

4) Dropped out of cycling

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a new favorite route
    Ride somewhere you've never ridden
    Introduce someone to cycling
    Ride without your cyclocomputer
    Increase your longest day
    Ride a brevet
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast