User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike rentals in Glenwood Springs

I've been giving some thought to flying to the 50+ event and renting a bike. It's a long drive

I'm going to check with my LBS and see if they know any Trek dealers in the area that rent bikes. I currently ride a Madone WSD and would want a similar bike to rent. Anyone know of shops in the area that rent road bikes?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I've been giving some thought to flying to the 50+ event and renting a bike. It's a long drive

I'm going to check with my LBS and see if they know any Trek dealers in the area that rent bikes. I currently ride a Madone WSD and would want a similar bike to rent. Anyone know of shops in the area that rent road bikes?
    I have already posted a Trek rental shop om GWS in the original thread. I will search and repost it.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek 1.2 road bike rentals can be provided by

Mountain Sports Outlet - www.mountainsportsoutlet.com
    215 6th St, Glenwood Springs - (970) 945-5001

Who have a variety of sizes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Trek 1.2 road bike rentals can be provided by

Mountain Sports Outlet - www.mountainsportsoutlet.com
    215 6th St, Glenwood Springs - (970) 945-5001

Who have a variety of sizes.
    Thanks Dnvr. I knew some info had been posted but I was having a hard time finding it.

I did check out their website but it says they have finished renting bikes for the season Guess I'll bookmark it and check back in the spring.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hub in Aspen also rents bikes. You could take the RFTA Bus up and ride back to Glenwood. It's downhill from there. They rent Trek 2100's for $75 a day and Madone 5.2's for $100 a day. From there you could ride up to Ashcroft or the Maroon Bells. Both are beautiful rides and the plus to riding up to the Bells is they are closed to traffic in the Summer. Watch out for the big shuttle buses though.
    You go where you look

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dnvr. I knew some info had been posted but I was having a hard time finding it.

I did check out their website but it says they have finished renting bikes for the season Guess I'll bookmark it and check back in the spring.
    They charge $40 per day or $25 for 4 hours.

They are now in skiing season.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beverly, check your LBS for bike box rentals. One LBS here in town has 2, the cycling club members reserve them through me (the secretary) so I can confirm their membership, then I deal with the LBS. The boxes are free to club members. If we come we'll be borrowing the bike boxes and flying out, and renting a car. I don't want to drive from this coast -- although plans may well change between now and then.

Anyway, check that option out and see if it works for you.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Beverly, check your LBS for bike box rentals.
    Or your bike club. My club owns two boxes for members' use.

Or… Drive to Toledo and bring your bike on the train. You'd have to meet it at 5:10AM. It's $150 each way for you. You need to buy an Amtrak bike box for $15, and your bike rides as regular checked-baggage for $5. You only have to remove your pedals and turn the bars sideways. No further disassembly required. Just roll it into the box.

This year the Denver station saved my box for me, saving me $15 for the return trip.

I found the ride very restful. I've never been able to sleep on a plane, but I slept--soundly too--all four nights I was on the train. The food is good too, and there's the view of the country you don't get from a plane or the Interstate.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Beverly, check your LBS for bike box rentals.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Or your bike club. My club owns two boxes for members' use.

Or… Drive to Toledo and bring your bike on the train. You'd have to meet it at 5:10AM. It's $150 each way for you. You need to buy an Amtrak bike box for $15, and your bike rides as regular checked-baggage for $5. You only have to remove your pedals and turn the bars sideways. No further disassembly required. Just roll it into the box.

This year the Denver station saved my box for me, saving me $15 for the return trip.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I know our club doesn't own any boxes but I'm going to bring up the idea at the next board meeting in December. I'll check out the LBS, too.

I've also been looking at Amtrak. I've always wanted to take a cross country train ride. There is a station in Cincinnati but they don't have baggage service. I hadn't thought about driving to Toledo. I can handle taking off the pedals The train would cost slightly more than airfare but I would get a chance to see the country side. That's something I never get to do when traveling alone or with the grandkids.

Gee....all these options and only 9 months to plan it
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too had always wanted to travel long distance by train. When I went to Denver this past summer, the train trip almost overshadowed the cycling. Almost.

I found it an incredibly civilized way to travel. The seats make airline first-class look like cattle class. I've never been able to sleep on a plane, but I slept well all four nights I was on the train.

Each car has tons of bathrooms, and even the small ones are large enough to wash up in. It was nice to be able to brush my teeth and wash up after meals and in the mornings. Speaking of meals, the food in the snack bar car is okay--mostly microwave stuff. But the sit-down meals in the dining car were excellent. I had the best steak dinner I've had in a decade, rolling through Iowa, seated with some folks from Wisconsin. Even the dinner rolls were fresh-baked right on the train. Nicely priced too.

I enjoyed my seatmates and everyone I met walking around the train. The conductors and attendants were all great. Oh, and it's quiet. No roar like jets, no thumping like cars. And of course, there's no strip-search by surly TSA agents when boarding.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.