Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any women here ride Terry?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Mrs. Road Fan is angling for a bike with drop bars as a "Hurray, my back is better!" gift, and loves everything Georgena Terry has done. There's a used steel Terry Symmetry available in our area in her seat tube size. Anyone here have experience with any Terry bikes? Is this worth pursuing? Bike is said to be in excellent condition, but I don't really care about that since I'll have to convert it to indexing for her before summer.
Old 11-22-08, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never ridden a Terry and like any bike, I've read views both ways. What year, components, price?

There is a Symmetry, not clear what year, on Sierra Trading Post here:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...For-Women.html

the components seem to be lower end.
Old 11-22-08, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The short women that I've talked to who own them LOVE them. During the time that I had my bike store I never had a serious buyer test ride a Terry and not buy it.
Old 11-22-08, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My wife test road one for a week and hated it. Wound up buying a Roubaix, which she was also never satisfied with. This year she sold the Roubaix and got a custom built Guru Evolvo which she loves. There is no woman's specific geometry. There is your wife's specific geometry.
Old 11-22-08, 01:06 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
My wife test road one for a week and hated it. Wound up buying a Roubaix, which she was also never satisfied with. This year she sold the Roubaix and got a custom built Guru Evolvo which she loves. There is no woman's specific geometry. There is your wife's specific geometry.
Same story here, after trying multiple saddles for the wife, I bought her a Terry, she rode it about 15 mi. It may be here somewhere still.

She wound up with a Halo https://bikerhodeisland.com/pages/products.htm. It's probably not a saddle for a serious rider, but at least she can use it.
Old 11-22-08, 02:01 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the Terry Ti Butterfly saddle.

Can't offer insight on the bikes.
Old 11-22-08, 02:29 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not a woman but have a Terry Fly saddle on my cross bike and a Terry Fly for the Cure saddle on my road bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-22-08, 05:48 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by VolGirl
I've never ridden a Terry and like any bike, I've read views both ways. What year, components, price?

There is a Symmetry, not clear what year, on Sierra Trading Post here:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...For-Women.html

the components seem to be lower end.
The one I'm looking at is on Ebay, 54 cm, steel, and seems to have Shimano 600, at least the triple crank is Biopace. It's being sold by a local shop as it turns out, and they say its made of Tange 1 tubing, which of course is double-buted CrMo, and its lugged. Based on all this I'm guessing the year as 85 to 92. The one on Sierra is 631 and Tiagra, but the one we're looking at might not be indexed since it has DT shifters.

Thanks!

TX for the saddle comments, too!

Last edited by Road Fan; 11-22-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-22-08, 06:37 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had 3 Terry bikes. The Flora, a hybrid no longer produced, was the first bike I ever owned that actually fit me. I got a Symmetry, but let the store talk me into a 17.5 when I needed the 16. I gave both of those away to folks who needed them more than I did, and got a Col de la Madeleine 16. I used it for all types of cycling for years. Still have it and still ride it. I really like the shorter TT, especially now that my back is less flexible. My only complaint is that needing to carry 2 different sized tubes is a bulky pain in the saddle bag. Sometimes I only take the 700, on the theory that you "almost never" flat your front. However, if I'm doing a solo century I take both sizes. They are expensive, and if you aren't particularly short, you may be able to find cheaper WSD's or fit a men's. Terry will ship to any bike shop for assemby, they insist on professional assembly, let you try for a couple of weeks and will refund your money if you aren't happy with the bike. You might have to pay the return shipping. If you can't find one used locally, check their website for sale bikes and also classified listing of used bikes.
Old 11-23-08, 03:19 PM

I think we won't be getting this Terry. My underused Woodrup is very flexy and supple, and she's going to try it. The top tube might be a tad long, but we'll get a sizing and see. I'll need to convert it to Ergo so she can have indexing, but I'd have needed to add brifters at least on the Terry. The Woodrup has most of a Campy drivetrain on it now.

We save around $400, too.

Again, thanks to all for your input!

Road Fan
Old 11-23-08, 07:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Just in case there are some readers who were not aware, Terry makes bicycles, not just saddles. I think more people know about the saddles and may not know about the bikes. Terry was one of, if not "the" first companies to design bicycles with geometry specifically intended for women.
Old 11-23-08, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Just in case there are some readers who were not aware, Terry makes bicycles, not just saddles. I think more people know about the saddles and may not know about the bikes. Terry was one of, if not "the" first companies to design bicycles with geometry specifically intended for women.

Thanks, Blues, I HAVE been asking about the bicycles, not the saddles.

Road Fan