Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retirement and a new LBS!

In preparation for my pending retirement (end of this year), my wife and I recently bought a new home in Plymouth, MA. I was a little concerned that this area, which is sparsely populated compared to Boston, might not have a good local bike shop.

A couple of weeks ago we were scouting out the area for places to grocery shop, buy gas etc. when we came upon a local bike shop. We stopped in and were pleasantly surprised to find a full service shop that carries several major brands. We met and conversed with the owner for about 45 minutes. Very personable and knowledgeable. The shop is only about 5 miles from my new home so I expect to be spending some time there once I am through working.

Now I just have to convince my wife that a new bike would be the perfect retirement gift.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are retiring and moving south, eh?

Sparsely populated? I grew up in West Virginia. If Plymouth were in WV, it would be the 2nd largest city - and just a few thousand short of being the largest city.

A city of close to 60,000 should have more than one bike shop. Of course, there are no guarantees of a "good" bike shop. Sometimes they are more like sporting goods stores, and don't have much expertise on their staff.

What drew you to Plymouth.

Oh, and best of luck in your retirement. What are your plans?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plymouth is about mid-way between where our grandchildren are and a house we have in North Truro on Cape Cod. Also, the community in Plymouth is an "active 55" community and offers an abundance of activities including a recreational biking group, tennis, bocci, kayaking etc, etc.

While Plymouth may not be small be West Va. standards it seems rural to a kid who grew up and lived in and around Boston all his life.

Finally, we are planning several trips in the U.S. in retirement, some of which will incorporate our love of biking. Just a few include Washington D.C. area, the battlegrounds around Gettysburg, a summer sojourn to Nova Scotia, and a trip to Arizona (Lake Havasu area). I also plan to continue to bike on Cape Cod as weather permits.

I am retiring at age 60 and am blessed with decent health so I look forward to may years and miles ahead........

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on retirement.

If the retirement bike idea doesn't fly you can always say, "any new home needs a new bike". In my case it was a new quad, for ice fishing, when the missus got granite counter tops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thought, Jet............but you know that if I say she got a "new house", she will say "we" got a new house, but "any new home needs a new bike" just may work, will keep you posted.

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plymouth has great roads, well decent roads lol, and generally the drivers are pretty courteous. It is/was a hot bed of racing and is/was home to two of our best racers...brothers Frank and Mark McCormack...http://www.usacycling.org/bios/user/bio.php?id=30...

Here is a link to a great club/team...http://www.massbayroadclub.org/
    Great group of people. Lots of varied rides. Very invested in the cycling community. I was a member until moving up north and miss them quite a bit.
    Plymouth is a great area in which to live. I miss the area very much. Good luck and enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the retirement and here's hoping the move goes smoothly. As far
    as the N+1-ing is concerned, if you've got the space and you've got the
    money ....then convincing the bride should be a cake-walk.

Happy Trails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the retirement.
    Such an event calls for raising the bar; start any "retirement presents" discussion with N+2, then settle for what you want. With an 08 Specialized in your signature line you may not get too far.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Sounds like you are going to start off right in the retirement thing.

My Bikes
    recumbent, mtn bike, road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    In preparation for my pending retirement (end of this year), my wife and I recently bought a new home in Plymouth, MA. I was a little concerned that this area, which is sparsely populated compared to Boston, might not have a good local bike shop.

A couple of weeks ago we were scouting out the area for places to grocery shop, buy gas etc. when we came upon a local bike shop. We stopped in and were pleasantly surprised to find a full service shop that carries several major brands. We met and conversed with the owner for about 45 minutes. Very personable and knowledgeable. The shop is only about 5 miles from my new home so I expect to be spending some time there once I am through working.

Now I just have to convince my wife that a new bike would be the perfect retirement gift.
    Congrats!!! South shore is very different culturally from the North Shore..........IMHO.......enjoy....
    I hope you are retiring to something rather than from something..........

I am a little jealous..........I don't think I will be able to retire until I am in my 70's........

I applaud your scouting out of bike shops............Everywhere I have moved I have interviewed the LBS and local bike community.......A deal breaker has always been an inadequate bike community.........My most recent move to Maine has brought me to my favorite bike shop.

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small town????? Come experience RAGBRAI as a great retirement ride. Iowa has all kinds of small towns. When you 10,000 riders go through a town of 125 people (not including cats and dogs!) that's a big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the positive remarks and for the suggestions, and enjoy a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Regarding retiring from something/to something, I really love what I do and look forward to the workday, however it is getting in the way of pleasure, and especially more time with the family, and an active life while I am still able to enjoy.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it, working is great. Doing something productivity with your skills and talents is great.

After 30, 35, or more years of that, moving on is also great.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post