Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    You might want to try different clothing. I'm never cold on the bike, and I don't get wet unless it's warm out. I wouldn't enjoy the ride either if I was cold.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but it wasn't me that was cold. The weather was cold, windy and wet. My layers of clothing and appropriate outerwear were just right for the conditions, but I am generally miserable in those conditions.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most enjoyable thing about bike commuting in winter is hearing the motorists scraping the ice off their cars before they can start the trip home

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only had a couple of rides where I wished I was somewhere else instead of riding. Both in foul weather conditions and I learnt a lot from them. Can remember other rides that gave me a sense of achievement- like 3 months after the bypass and a 40 miler that although not hard- I should have trained for.

Had rides where My mates dragged me onto- because I did not feel like riding- only to find 5 minutes later that the ride was going to be good.

Mostly the rides are good- fun rating is high- and even the weather that tries to ruin the ride does not succeed. But I still feel that I sometimes need something more than just fun. I like a challenge- but to do the challenge I have to train. Like Ventoux. To me that was a challenge- and it was an achievement. But I had to train to be able to keep going uphill for 13 miles. Longest hill round here is only about 2 miles and it is not that steep either. Repeats up a 1 mile long 15% hill were initially hard. Then it got boring. But it paid in the end.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work 50 hrs. a week (63 hrs. a week approx 20 wks/yr.) so my "Me Time"
    is important to me. If I don't feel like taking a bike out, I don't. I never take
    recreational rides in weather that I'll be miserable in. As far as commuting is
    concerned, it's a 10 mile round trip so if I choose to drive I'm not really making
    any oil barons rich. I probably commute approx. 75% of the time and for commutes
    the weather does not play a significant factor (I think because I HAVE to go to work
    anyway so I might just as well take the bike).

For me cycling is an escape. It needs to be, and is, enjoyable.

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the fun is in the ride itself. Sometimes the fun is the "get 'er done" attitude it takes to complete a challenging ride. Sometimes the fun is the sense of well-being and power that a good exercise session can leave you with.

The best rides are where all three happen. That transcends mere fun and makes riding almost magical.

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it is not "fun" until afterward...maybe much much afterwards lol.

I did not call it fun when I was puking from the intervals nor hitting my max heart rate but afterwards the "fun" was the benefit of the pain.

Oft times "fun" has many and varied definitions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I appreciate the suggestion, but it wasn't me that was cold. The weather was cold, windy and wet. My layers of clothing and appropriate outerwear were just right for the conditions, but I am generally miserable in those conditions.
    Well, you weren't feeling cold or wet, how come the conditions were making you miserable?

"Think Outside the Cage"

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find most of my rides to be fun. But I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. Partly because of time restrictions, other obligations, but partly because I don't enjoy it like I used to. Still enjoy it when I do get the chance, but some of the enthusiasm has temporarily(?) diminished.

My Bikes
    Lotus Odyssey - Shogun 400 - '75 Raleigh Tourist - Raleigh Grand Prix - Raleigh Record Ltd (winter bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fitting topic leading up to Thanksgiving. As a member of the Massachusetts Bay colony the Puritan ethic doesn't include fun. We're to suffer & to be thankful to have suffered thru another another year. So everyone get out tomorrow & do your penance & enjoy a good bike ride

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    A fitting topic leading up to Thanksgiving. As a member of the Massachusetts Bay colony the Puritan ethic doesn't include fun. We're to suffer & to be thankful to have suffered thru another another year. So everyone get out tomorrow & do your penance & enjoy a good bike ride
    Am I understanding correctly that we should all underdress for tomorrow's ride?

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you with your riding? Is it fun, rewarding, or something else?
    Ah, juicy stuff, my kinda thread
    (for me) Think you have it when its 'rewarding'. keeping it within the cycling realm... it does have fully encompassing ramifications though...
    if I learn a little more about myself, and what and where I'm movin through, then its rewarding, and was more than worth the 'ride'. Sometimes what I learn is 'perseverence', and so sometimes its not 'fun' in the common sense. Sometimes, its a whole bunch of things.
    Prolly the only rides I would have preferred to miss are those where I've suffered some injury. But that's hindsight, and so far I haven't become clairvoyant, so I hope those downside rides are as minimal as possible.

I'm not sure who else is affected by the huge amount of 'downside' we hear and see about our fellow humans, every day.
    It really affects me.
    In a negative way, I can get very 'down' on our collective affect on our world and being, and its not 'external'. I know I play my small role in creating the problems as much as I might think I help solve some.
    Cycling is a powerful antidote for this, for me. It helps me reflect on the 'singular' nature and that many of us humans are pretty fine, the world is a wonderful place and that its well worth working towards improvements.
    Cycling, hiking, climbing, swimming, whatever might get me/us out in the real world, experiencing the real thing.
    Yeah, 'rewarding' I think says it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Well, you weren't feeling cold or wet, how come the conditions were making you miserable?
    As difficult as this might be for some folks to understand, when the weather is hot (90+ degrees) and humid (85% or more), I'm a happy man on the bike. Wet, cold, and windy? Not happy with any of it, but that's the way it is where I live. So, I ride because not riding makes the wet, windy and cold worse. I refuse to give in to the late fall, winter and early spring weather. I've had to deal with bouts of depression my entire adult life, and cycling is one of the things that has a tremendously positive impact on my affect. To stop cycling in the inclement weather, or to start training indoors has a very negative impact. I guess you could say that I'd sooner be miserable than depressed.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a ride, that upon reflection back from the future. wasn't "fun" from some perspective or another. I may have gritted my teeth and been unhappy at the moment, but after time passes, I find I learned something about whatever (riding, myself, others, the worldl?) and that in and of itself is fun for me.

Now, there are things I do and don't do to increase my "fun."

For awhile, it was fun for me to set mileage goals and track my mileage in detailed form on BikeJournal.com, and to compete with another or two in my mileage. Now that is not fun for me, so I don't do it anymore. I now find it "fun" to ride in the dark with bright lights. Perhaps "fun" for me next summer will be competing in a triathlon. Or, riding more with my wife? Who knows.

One of the fun parts is spending my time doing things that I know are physically good for me. How neat to be able to have fun and get healthy!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had rides that were not fun. Getting three flats and trying to patch the original tube.,then the "once new backup tube" in the rain did not make for a fun ride. I guess it did make a memorable ride. Getting dropped 10 miles into a "no drop group ride" while on vacation in a area that I had no clue where I was, can't be described as "fun". I can think of other rides with similar results, however, they are a small %'d of all the rides and just added to the overall experience.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As difficult as this might be for some folks to understand, when the weather is hot (90+ degrees) and humid (85% or more), I'm a happy man on the bike. Wet, cold, and windy? Not happy with any of it, but that's the way it is where I live. So, I ride because not riding makes the wet, windy and cold worse. I refuse to give in to the late fall, winter and early spring weather. I've had to deal with bouts of depression my entire adult life, and cycling is one of the things that has a tremendously positive impact on my affect. To stop cycling in the inclement weather, or to start training indoors has a very negative impact. I guess you could say that I'd sooner be miserable than depressed.
    Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I mean this in the best way--I hope you have a miserable winter!

"Think Outside the Cage"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12