Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is having fun overrated/overstated?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Several recent threads (not that there haven't been similar ones in the past) have me thinking about this notion of fun and cycling. There is no question in my mind that flying along on two wheels can be a great thrill and lots of fun. Yet, my last five or six rides have been anything but fun, it was windy, wet, and cold. I felt miserable the entire time on each of these rides. I also went back through my cycling diary and discovered that of the 216 days of cycling I'd done as of 11/24/08, over 1/3 of them had notes indicating that the ride wasn't much fun. IMHO that's a pretty big percentage.

There are those days when the ride, start to finish, has been a joy, but these are in the minority. Don't misunderstand me, I'll still continue to cycle as long as possible. And, I know that I'll push myself on intervals into the red zone, take on climbs that will exhaust me, and ride outside regardless of the weather. For me the benefits of cycling are well worth the investment in pain, discomfort and time. But, fun? Me thinks not. Hence, I'm always a bit at a loss for words when upon returning from a ride my wife asks, "Did you have fun?"

So, simply typing out these comments has helped me remember there is a difference between something that is rewarding and something that is "fun". Where are you with your riding? Is it fun, rewarding, or something else?
Old 11-26-08, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
So, simply typing out these comments has helped me remember there is a difference between something that is rewarding and something that is "fun". Where are you with your riding? Is it fun, rewarding, or something else?
I think that it's a question of objectives.

If your objective is "Getting into better shape." "Getting faster." "Beating other people." That's one thing. The reward is likely to be deferred to some later time.

If your objective is simply to play (like me), you're probably looking for a shorter term reward and consequently don't ride in unpleasant weather if you can help it.
Old 11-26-08, 08:55 AM
getting bent

Bikes: 2008 Rans V3, 1984 Trek 620

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting question; I think I remember the tough ones much more than the fun ones. That said, I am really jonesing to get back on again (working during all daylight hours + short winter days = little riding time yet).
Old 11-26-08, 09:17 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My rides are almost all commutes now. Besides overcoming the wind, rain, etc. I always have the satisfaction of getting there

It's also fun when coworkers are running out to close their windows when a storm comes through.
Old 11-26-08, 09:24 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think where we get into trouble is trying to impose our own definition of fun onto someone else. Just because setting goals, riding a lot of miles, and tracking mileage is fun to me doesn't mean it will be to someone else, and vice versa. You would think the type A folks who set the goals would be the more intense, and therefore more grumpy, but it looked to me to be just the opposite in that other thread. Start a thread about goals and those who don't have any trash you. I shook my head at that for several minutes.
Old 11-26-08, 09:24 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I can't think of a ride that wasn't fun. Many are challenging, some a heluva lotta work, but they're always fun.

This, despite the fact that I use a cyclometer, I log my rides, and have goals.
Old 11-26-08, 09:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a runner for many years until heel injuries put an end to that! Now biking is the thing. My wife can't believe how enthusiastically I get up in the cold and dark to meet my buddies at 5:45 for a pre-work ride. Never did that for running! The difference is that biking is fun! Even miserable biking has its moments.

So to me, no, the fun aspect is NOT over-rated.
Old 11-26-08, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I've done enough interval training during my running days. Its one of those things that if you don't keep it up, you begin to lose the benefits. Its practically the same for riding in general. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Computer gamers are the same. I figure they have fun but to keep sharp, they have to constantly be on top of their game. Recreational golfers must be on the verge of frustration. There's so many aspects to their game, their swing, and all that. Can't be that much fun.

When you were a kid, there was no goal setting but just play for the sake of playing. That's fun.
Old 11-26-08, 09:49 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
What's "Fun" is such a personal definition, that I'm not sure that anything anyone else could say would matter much . . .

Quite often, when reaching the summit of a particularly difficult climb (which may well have involved pain and suffering), I've been heard to exclaim, "That was fun!"

Once, on a very cold and rain-soaked double century, about an hour after dark my riding partner asked me, "Are we having fun yet?" Given the situation, I replied, "Yes, we're having fun, because we only have 35 miles to go. So the further we go, the fewer miles we have left, means we're having more and more fun the closer we get to the finish!"

Last night I was so not looking forward to my training ride. It was cool, getting cooler with rain predicted. However, and because of the rain forecast, I took out my Mercian touring bike (it has fenders!) pumped up the tires, packed my rain jacket in the pack, and took off.

I had so much fun riding that bike, with the downtube shifters, steel frame, fenders, rack, etc. since it was so different from usual bikes. Kind of "retro" I guess. Anyway, it turned out to be a really fun ride, with the road illuminated by my NiteRider Blow Torch, a lovely evening really.

Oh, and the rain hit about 15 min. after I had returned home!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-26-08, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
... Where are you with your riding? Is it fun, rewarding, or something else?
Yes.

SP
Old 11-26-08, 10:23 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When rides become less fun (which is very, very rare) I take it as a sign that I'm getting a little burned out and go do something else for awhile. For me, fun is always a top priority.
Old 11-26-08, 10:40 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1000 to all the great responses! I was a recreation major in college and one of the few things I still remember from college is my teacher's definition of recreation.

Is it recreation?:
1- Is it done during free time and not taking away from any necessary life commitments?
2- Is it done voluntarily?
3- Is the activity morally acceptable by the standards of today's society?
4- Is the activity something you may look back on as fun?

For me riding is recreation as it passes each of the above questions. I ride for fun, pleasure and results. When I do intervals or ride in bad weather it hurts but I look at that as putting money in the bank to take out later when needed. I love making withdrawls. For me riding is recreation, wellness, escaping reality and not transportation.
Old 11-26-08, 10:55 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Cycling for me is a mixture of riding, tinkering, and posing. If I'm not having fun in one area I can find fun in another. The fun factor averages out for me, so I'm never dissapointed.
Old 11-26-08, 10:56 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
It is all about managing expectation. Any time on the bike is better than time in the office/work.
Old 11-26-08, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
All of the above. If it is always easy it isn't worth doing. I enjoy the challenges, but some may not be fun at the time. On hindsight it all is fun with the exception being when the one ride that ended in an ambulance ride and a longish recovery. And even that one had some redeeming qualities if only as a frame of reference.
Old 11-26-08, 11:58 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Though I have commuted, riding a bike is fun for me, almost always. Sometimes I can wish that I didn't go so far, therefore have to suffer to get back, but I tend to forget those times.

So, yeah, it is fun. But it also helps if you are a masochist too I suppose...
Old 11-26-08, 12:31 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I ride for fun. Although I set some goals, if they get in the way of the fun........then I don't make the goals. I work relatively hard in a high stress job. I don't need for my bikes to take over any remaining part of my life. When riding stops being fun, I take a break from riding. I always come back though.
Old 11-26-08, 12:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts
Dr. Kenneth Cooper once said that he had believed there was no difference between exercise riding a bicycle and exercise in a gym on an exercycle. His epiphany came when he realized that while riders often rode "another loop" or "took the long way", those on exercycles invariably bailed as soon as the timer dinged.

For me the benefits of cycling are well worth the investment in pain, discomfort and time. But, fun? Me thinks not.
There are also real hazards and dangers involved in riding; I suggest an exercycle.

Best,
tcs
Old 11-26-08, 12:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I can't think of a ride that wasn't fun. Many are challenging, some a heluva lotta work, but they're always fun. This, despite the fact that I use a cyclometer, I log my rides, and have goals.
+1

I realized in thinking about this thread that there are only one or two rides this year that I was disappointed in -- and they were organized rides where either (a) the traffic was worse than I had thought it would be, a or (b) the course was poorly marked. I don't mind riding in traffic when I'm alone. And I don't mind getting lost on my own - I blame myself. But if I run into safety or navigation issues on an organized ride it is frustrating.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 11-26-08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
The only cycling I do is commuting, and it is all fun. Wet and cold are simply symptoms of inadaquate clothing. Wind - well there's not much one can do about wind, except enjoy the accomplishment of having riden home into it. I recommend all trips home should be made in the direction of the prevailing tailwind.

Paul
Old 11-26-08, 02:19 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have been on very many rides that were painful, windy, hot, scary, bumpy, plagued with mechanical problems etc. I have been on very few rides that weren't fun. If I couldn't have fun while suffering, I would probably not have chosen bicycling as an obsession.
Old 11-26-08, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suffering isn't fun?
I've taken rides that have just beaten the snot out of me, where it was all I could do to summon the drive to cover the last 4 or 5 miles, where the thought of one last hill to climb was daunting. The last 40 miler I did was like that. And when I get back home, I just have big ol' non-stop SE grin on my face and the feeling that I could still do more. If I'm smiling, I'm having fun.

Oh wait... there was that ride a couple of weekends ago in the cold wind and rain. The one where I called in the sag wagon. That wasn't a whole lot of fun.
Old 11-26-08, 02:39 PM
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I can't think of a ride that wasn't fun. Many are challenging, some a heluva lotta work, but they're always fun.

This, despite the fact that I use a cyclometer, I log my rides, and have goals.
I agree. Although I'm a 365 day commuter (and nights--I work 2nd shift), all those transportation rides have been fun. They've all made me more fit, and they've all saved me money. Win-win-win.

Some rides are challenging. One time I rode home at midnight in a blizzard, and 4 snow plows ran me off the road, as I threw my bike over a 4 foot snow pile at the curb. If you had seen me searching for my bike computer, I wouldn't have told you I was having fun. But as soon as I got home (minus $30 computer), I realized how much I enjoyed the thrill of that ride, and I continue to enjoy the sense of satisfaction. I've never enjoyed driving a car in a blizzard!

For me, record keeping adds to the fun. I like working with the figures, and I like logging a 60 mile day or a 5000 mile year. The bike computer is fun too.

The only time it isn't fun is when I ride sick or injured. But what is fun when you're hurting?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-26-08, 02:46 PM
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
There is no question in my mind that flying along on two wheels can be a great thrill and lots of fun. Yet, my last five or six rides have been anything but fun, it was windy, wet, and cold. I felt miserable the entire time on each of these rides.
You might want to try different clothing. I'm never cold on the bike, and I don't get wet unless it's warm out. I wouldn't enjoy the ride either if I was cold.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-26-08, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I try to have both fun and achieve a sense of accomplishment. I think this "fun" concept is why so many racing cyclists talk of "suffering". But the fact is, I have raced, toured and done some long distance rides (up to 200 miles), and can only recall a couple of times where I was even close suffering. T me, discomfort is not equal to suffering. Infected teeth, thats suffering, if one ever even came close to the pain of a toothache, or crippling back problems while riding a bike I would guess that nobody would continue to ride.

I my weird little world, completeing a long tough ride, is fun and brings me back smiling for annother round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.