Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this what you 50+ MTB'ers do?

This is supposedly a guy in his 40s or 50s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8mgFjvt8k8

I watch this and think that there is no way I'd want to go down this trail. No attraction whatsoever.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... I've ridden trails that tight but at about 1/2 that speed. It also seems like a fairly aggresive slope angle so again yeah, I've ridden stuff that steep but not anywhere near as crowded or consistent.

He's a few levels up from me, that's for sure. But I know a lot of riders that this would be normal and even mild to ride and they are in their mid to late 40's... They are just a lot more hard core than I am and do nothing else BUT ride mountain bikes.

..... it needs to be noted that I'm about 20 minutes drive away from "The Shore" though. So the more serious riders around here are a LOT more serious. I should also add that around here I'd be looked at as a rank novice.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

Dwayne
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the age of 50, I've ridden down similar trails. I've flipped over the handle bars, broke brake levers on trees and other bike parts, and fortunately never broke any of my parts. But the toughest part is riding back up, and I do mean UP, the same trail to the top.

I'm turning 51 in 1 month.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a little too agressive for me. At 62 I like my trails a little wider than that. I'm trying not to break any bones as that takes too long to heal and I'd rather be riding. Most of my trails are car width, as in fire roads, power lines access roads and unpaved and in many cases unimproved rail trails. Its easy enough to get into trouble on dirt at 15+ without having trees to wack. I prefer most of the rides that Stapfam sends pictures of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd ride that, but slower than he is. I don't have a lot of tight trees where I usually ride, but have done it before. I think BluesDawg would feel at home there.

Tom, head to the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival and check it out! It's in northwest Wisconsin.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have neither the guts nor the physical coordination for technicals. My idea of a good mountain bike trail is a fire road.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm familiar with the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival. It looks like it would be fun for someone who likes to do that sort of thing.

Just like the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour looks like it would be a lot of fun for someone who could do that.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden trails that tight and with trees that close, but without the steep downslope and thus without so much speed. I rarely see a downhill section that long. I would probably consider riding that trail under dryer conditions and more slowly. The combination of downhill, tight turns, narrow trail between trees and wet surface is a recipe for disaster for all but the most highly skilled riders.

I do like fast and twisty trails through the trees with hills (both up and down) and with rocks and roots thrown in to make things interesting. I don't care much for the artificial jumps as seen in the video. I like a little more elbow room when I ride fast.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

Just like the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour looks like it would be a lot of fun for someone who could do that.
    You've probably seen the great pictures Rick@OCRR has put up here from that event?

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't interest me either. Looks way too dangerous. That's why I'm sticking with riding my cross bike during the cold months. In fact I've been on ebay quite a bit lately looking and bidding on a "new" cross bike. Haven't won yet.

This looks a lot more appealing to me.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1W8wYLuCYI"]YouTube - VQ DPR Trail Bike Ride[/ame]
    Last edited by RonH; 11-27-08 at 01:58 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Much more attractive riding to me.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    You've probably seen the great pictures Rick@OCRR has put up here from that event?
    Yes I have. It looks very nice.

There are also two days a year when motorcyclists circle Lake Pepin all day. Well, as least in between bar stops.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a nice ride on a smooth and narrow dirt road. Where is the trail?

My idea of a good MTB ride would fall somewhere between the two extremes shown.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our local woods we have plenty of single track that can be taken at speed. The track is a bit wider between the trees so not quite as dangerous. They also have a bit of Downhill in them so speed can be quite high---Or slow if you are doing them in reverse. I do prefer the uphill climb as it takes more skill.

Then there is the Downhillers trail-- Plenty of ramps in it- plenty of changes of surface and plenty of steep sections. I do occasionally do it and feel quite pleased if I can get down it in under 2 minutes. Problem is that the Downhillers do it in about 1m 30s.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a good rush out of that video.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah. I ride like that all the time . . . . . . IN MY DREAMS!!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When looking at the trail I didn't think it was crazy dangerous, so I'd give it a try. I don't get air, though, so I'd be a lot, lot slower than that fellow.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I ride MTB trails as tight as those portrayed in the first post, but that looks like a downhill, technical trail. I ride hilly terain, but not straight downhills. You need to add some logs to jump and some serious gullies to be similiar to the courses I ride.
    I don't ride as fast as the film portrays.
    IMHO, I think that film speed was increased. I'm basing that on the amount of lift on his front wheels coming off those berms. At the speed I travel, the front wheel stays on the ground or lifts slightly, just like the rider in the film. At the speed of that film I would have thought he would be completely airborn. I'd be interested to hear what BluesDawg thinks about that.
    As for guys in their 40's riding those trails, I ride road bikes with a guy in his mid 40s who also rides MTBs. If he was on that trail, he would be yelling for the guy in the film to get out of his way. I can't keep up with him when he's cruising on single track, never mind when he races. He can bunny hop logs over 1 ft thick. As for me, I just crash into logs that big .
    Mountain biking is like being a kid again, "playin in the dirt".
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    I don't ride as fast as the film portrays.
    IMHO, I think that film speed was increased. I'm basing that on the amount of lift on his front wheels coming off those berms. At the speed I travel, the front wheel stays on the ground or lifts slightly, just like the rider in the film. At the speed of that film I would have thought he would be completely airborn. I'd be interested to hear what BluesDawg thinks about that.
    It is hard to say how fast he is really going in the video, or for that matter, how far off the ground he is going. It appears to be a helmet mounted camera, so you have to take into account that the camera persective is constantly changing as he moves his head to look forward or look down at the front wheel. If I had to judge, I would say that the speed of the video is true.

The more I watch the video, the more I think that with enough repetitions to become very familiar with this trail, I could probably do it at that speed. But having said that, it is not the kind of riding I do often or enjoy most. The wetness of the trail would be my biggest concern. I suppose with good mud tires and enough muddy condition training, I could handle it. But The vast majority of my riding is on trails that drain well enough that we don't ride them when they have that much standing water, preferring to wait a day or two to let them drain in the interest of preserving the trail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to ride a trail like that and I am 56. I would not ride as fast and be very careful. Healing from a crash in those conditions would be hard to do.
    Or you could try something like this trail http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaY6zHZZ_Qs.
    When I see rides like this I wish I was younger and/or more talented so I could do either with speed and control.
    But again I would do both now but at a much slower speed and not do the air.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see stuff like that in tree-covered hilly Virginia--but at much slower speeds. The magazine MTB Review describes our local trail network this way:

"Technical and rocky and rooty and at some times of the year, covered with leaves. Typical Virginia riding at it's finest. If you've never been into the big hills of the west, this is a great testing ground. For those of you with technical skills it will test you. For those of you without technical skills, it will teach you. But don't be intimidated. This is what it's all about. And just before the downhills get to you they end (which has the depressing side effect of LOTS of climbing) This is a great place to train for the Va championship series if you're a racer"

I, however, am not a racer training for the VA championship series, and wouldn't mind some less technical riding.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 11-28-08 at 05:25 AM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The wetness of the trail would be my biggest concern. I suppose with good mud tires and enough muddy condition training, I could handle it. But The vast majority of my riding is on trails that drain well enough that we don't ride them when they have that much standing water, preferring to wait a day or two to let them drain in the interest of preserving the trail.
    One thing we do have over here is wet trails. Our trails are over chalk which does drain very well- but wet chalk is slippery. And after a couple of days of them being wet- you get "Green" chalk. A thin layer of moss and algae that turns it to a surface akin to Ice. So we are used to riding on slippery surfaces and you soon learn what tyre is the one that works for you.

Then we have mud. Mud is not slippery but it does cause some control problems. If you have the right tyre- you can cut through deep mud to the hard surface below and still get grip but this normally requires a 1.8 tyre with plenty of wide spaced Knobbles and using a gear just a bit higher than normal to stop torque causing wheel spin.

We do not have the wide open spaces that you have over there- our trails are heavily used all year round. Walkers- Horses and cycles. Then there are the forestry vehicles that churn up the mud so ruts 2ft deep and filled with mud slurry can be the norm.

And from now on- we expect the trails to be wet- and slippery- and well used. But it is not cycles that damage the trails. Ramblers not wishing to get their boots muddy will widen the trails and horses and tractors will churn it up.

No matter how bad you think the trails have been damaged in the winter-Come the end of spring and it will be like a jungle out there as you fight your way through the brambles and undergrowth and you wish you had better suspension to take the sting out of the hardpacked soil that is punishing you

The attachments show the Tandem on mud- Second is taken around the end of May and shows how the same trail has recovered- And the third is just to show that we do have trees and not just open hills that I normally show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my home trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sd1xXOcKdk

I go a bit slower and I don't do the section in the last 15 seconds of the movie.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of the trails I like to ride. There are many other sections of video from this trail in the set.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those trees look a lot tougher than my 68 year old bones! I'd pass on that ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast