Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-08, 08:05 AM   #1
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Bike project documentation if BF

It appears that we all have a photo album section on our profile page. I'm not sure but it appears to hold several under 96M pictures. I'm going to document this winter's project there. I have made mine public, you only have to click on my screen name to view it. (I think)

Only one picture present at the moment.
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:10 AM   #2
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
It appears that we all have a photo album section on our profile page. I'm not sure but it appears to hold several under 96M pictures. I'm going to document this winter's project there. I have made mine public, you only have to click on my screen name to view it. (I think)

Only one picture present at the moment.
Not showing up, Maxx.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:17 AM   #3
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Not showing up, Maxx.
Sorry, after you click on my screen name you have to select view public profile. See if that works. It has worked for Solveg but she also has a red star. It would be disappointing if it were limited to that but possibly...........
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:21 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
OK, looks like a hard tail mountain bike frame. I didn't recognize the brand with the gusset between the top/seat tubes.

So what is this bike going to become?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:31 AM   #5
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
That is my old Haro V4 frame (Ebay 3 years ago @49). It's just back from the sand blasting shop down the street where it was taken down to bare metal for $40. It will get a rattlecan paint job of a color yet to be determined. I was thinking about a Rustoleum 2 part simulated rust kit but after seeing the sandblasted frame I'm now leaning toward a Duplicolor textured metal finish in "Graphite". With no markings, it would be a reparable paint job. If I do that, I will do the whole bike in a functional machine shop motif.

In the corner of the workshop is a Marzocchi EXR Fork so this project will probably become my "hardcore hardtail".

The albums in everyone's (I hope) profile page appear to hold up to 60 pictures of <97.7 meg or 600 x 600 pixles. Seems like a usefull feature that not many are using yet. You could post rides there or projects or other stuff and anyone could view it by clicking on your profile.
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 08:39 AM   #6
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
The albums in everyone's (I hope) profile page appear to hold up to 60 pictures of <97.7 meg or 600 x 600 pixles. Seems like a usefull feature that not many are using yet. You could post rides there or projects or other stuff and anyone could view it by clicking on your profile.
I could? Guess again kemosabe.

I had to have my daughter come over to show me how to post pictures on BF. She set up my avitar and I managed to successfully post one (1) thumb nail. Now I can't make it work again.

I'm pretty good with things that have chains and sprockets but this electronic stuff might as well be magic. Is there an incantation that I'm misprouncing?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 09:04 AM   #7
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Perhaps an adult ed course? It's a lot of fun to learn how to use a small program like Photoshop Elements to improve and modify your pictures. You can put together albums of the grandkids etc. Some of this electronics magic is a lot like working with machinery. You work on one small thing at a time untill the whole thing comes together.
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 09:36 AM   #8
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Perhaps an adult ed course? It's a lot of fun to learn how to use a small program like Photoshop Elements to improve and modify your pictures. You can put together albums of the grandkids etc. Some of this electronics magic is a lot like working with machinery. You work on one small thing at a time untill the whole thing comes together.
I actually looked into that. The local community college offers the perfect course. Unfortunately, it's only offered at a time that won't work for me. {sigh**
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 09:41 AM   #9
RoMad
Senior Member
 
RoMad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Citrus county Fl.
Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maddmaxx,I just viewed your profile and saw the picture. I went to mine and I do not have that option. It might only be available to those of you who have the red star. What else do you get with the red star and how much are they?
A question on your build. Since you have gone to the trouble and expense to have it sand blasted why not pay a little for a paint job? If you found a small local body shop you could probably get it painted the same color as a car or truck while they are doing one. The only problem with that might be that the most popular color car doesn't look that good on bikes.
RoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 09:53 AM   #10
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
A question on your build. Since you have gone to the trouble and expense to have it sand blasted why not pay a little for a paint job? If you found a small local body shop you could probably get it painted the same color as a car or truck while they are doing one. The only problem with that might be that the most popular color car doesn't look that good on bikes.
Maybe he doesn't want to pay somebody else to have the fun of painting his bike.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 10:28 AM   #11
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Absolutely will not pay anyone to have my fun. I actually contemplated buying my own blaster to do that part of the job too. If it were summertime, I would have used chemical stripper and about a weeks worth of elbow grease to do the job. If I choose to, I also have the equipment to do a small spray job at my house. The problem is, at this level, if you can't shoot something like Imron and have a baking booth, then you can do just as good a job with a rattle can as with an airbrush. To make it easy, I'm not going for a high gloss smooth paint job. I want to experiment with some of the textured paints. hammertone, textured metalic (looks very much like the bare sandblasted frame in your choice of shade) or something else.

I favor the metalics cause back in my racing days we never had enough money for pretty, so everything was finished in brutal functional "industrial basement". The concept of simulated rust on the frame and fork and high end carbon for the running gear also tickled my fantasy.

One of my customers bikes was finished in bare aluminium with a swirl finish. Time to clean it........get out the scotch brite...

The only remaining step to learn to build my own bikes is frame welding..............

I already have my own custom downtube decals for when I get that urge.
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:20 AM   #12
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
The problem is, at this level, if you can't shoot something like Imron and have a baking booth, then you can do just as good a job with a rattle can as with an airbrush.
Do you think?

I've done several rattle can bike paint jobs and am interested in upgrading.

I have an air compressor but no spray painting equipment. I don't want to spend a ton of money but, I don't have a problem with spending a little money to develop new skill and knowledge. Do you really think that a spray gun won't give me better results than spray cans?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:40 AM   #13
BillK
Senior Member
 
BillK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland suburbs outside Washington D.C.
Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or, find someone to powdercoat your frame. I found a local place who did it for $25.
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:42 AM   #14
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Or, find someone to powdercoat your frame. I found a local place who did it for $25.
What part of post #10 do you find difficult to understand?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:53 AM   #15
BillK
Senior Member
 
BillK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland suburbs outside Washington D.C.
Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize for not having read maddmaxx's posting (#11) closely enough. But now I know why you chose your screen name.
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:56 AM   #16
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I could? Guess again kemosabe.

I had to have my daughter come over to show me how to post pictures on BF. She set up my avitar and I managed to successfully post one (1) thumb nail. Now I can't make it work again.

I'm pretty good with things that have chains and sprockets but this electronic stuff might as well be magic. Is there an incantation that I'm misprouncing?
You could do it if you wanted. Really. No doubt.

About the only thing required for this consumer-oriented stuff is a combination of confidence, patience, and RTFM (Reading The Friendly Manual or other helps.)

On the other hand, having a daughter do it leaves more time for other things.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 12:03 PM   #17
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
But now I know why you chose your screen name.
Yeah, every time that I act nice for a little too long the moderators threaten to make me change it. Somehow "Retro Nice Guy" just doesn't get it.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 12:05 PM   #18
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
About the only thing required for this consumer-oriented stuff is a combination of confidence, patience, and RTFM (Reading The Friendly Manual or other helps.)
You're leaving out the motivational element. Mine comes and goes.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 01:06 PM   #19
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Do you think?

I've done several rattle can bike paint jobs and am interested in upgrading.

I have an air compressor but no spray painting equipment. I don't want to spend a ton of money but, I don't have a problem with spending a little money to develop new skill and knowledge. Do you really think that a spray gun won't give me better results than spray cans?
There is no doubt that you could learn to shoot a georgeous finish, hi gloss, metalics, transparents etc. The problem is that very few home painters can produce a more durable finish. Automobiles and a lot of bicycles are painted with toxic materials (imron for example is so toxic that the painters must have breating masks and hoses to external sources of air) and then the paint is cured in ovens and under lights. All of this comes after chemical cleanings and etchings of the metal to prep it for paint.

Its hard to get paint to stick to aluminium (your usually painting steel so san blasting, etching primers and something as simple as rustoleum works) so I'm going to try a surface that can be touched up later in the high wear spots as well as an agressive etching primer.

There are some good techniques to make rattle can spray jobs better. Soak the can in warm water untill its nicely warm. This will raise the pressure and thin the paint. Warm the surface to be painted and put on very thin coats (this is the part that requires more patience than most have) Don't shoot a coat of paint that's wet enough to dry very glossy untill the very last coat.

On a bike frame, spend all the early painting time on the joints of the tubing. When the tube junctions have an almost finished paint job, then start on the main tubes, just lightly overlaping the joints with the final finishes to make everything glossy. Understand that most paints have to be recoated relatively soon or that you must wait some number of days for the paint to dry completely.....
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 01:48 PM   #20
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
There is no doubt that you could learn to shoot a georgeous finish, hi gloss, metalics, transparents etc. The problem is that very few home painters can produce a more durable finish. Automobiles and a lot of bicycles are painted with toxic materials (imron for example is so toxic that the painters must have breating masks and hoses to external sources of air) and then the paint is cured in ovens and under lights. All of this comes after chemical cleanings and etchings of the metal to prep it for paint.
Thanks to the EEC (European Economic Community) that lays down all sorts of rules to govern our lives and what we can do with it- Most car finishes over here are non- toxic and water based paints. No twin pack epoxy coats- or cellulose based paints over here now. One small way in which they are making our living safer- but it has probably bought other problem like Colour fade and paint durability.

And as to the material priming before painting- Literally every material will use a different primer- so make certain you get the right one.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 03:33 PM   #21
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I've been looking at paints and tests and results and......................(its a lot like Tom looking at bikes.) I had a sudden thought that one of the features of a bicycle paint would be the ease of washing, wiping or brushing off mud. By by textured metalic paints. They have the surface of a fine diamond file and I suspect that dirt would stick like a magnet.

But wait......what's that in that can over there. Rustoleum Hammered Texture spray (the outdoor kind, beware of the indoor stuff). The assistant clerk in the hardware store take me out back to show me the ramps he takes his Quad on and off of his truck with. They are painted with the stuff and it seems to be holding up well.

Voila.........Rustoleum automotive primer followed by 2 coats of Rustoleum Hammertone Grey. Remember those old toolboxes your dad had. That's it. Hanging on the drying rack now and I won't be able to post pics for a day or so.

Sorry Louis.....Devo was an excellent project name but........... "Its Hammer Time" ....

Last edited by maddmaxx; 12-02-08 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Changed Duplicolor to Rustoleum....
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 07:46 AM   #22
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Pics up. This is what you can do with the album function.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 07:55 AM   #23
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a link, if you can't find it:

http://www.bikeforums.net/album.php?albumid=61
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 08:05 AM   #24
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Thanks Dnvr..........I was begining to suspect that a link like that would be a good addition to a project thread.

Has anyone been able to confirm that this is a feature only available to Red Star's and probably Titanium Level members? It seems that it would be such a good feature to document rides, projects, your own bikes or anything else to share.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 08:10 AM   #25
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Thanks Dnvr..........I was begining to suspect that a link like that would be a good addition to a project thread.

Has anyone been able to confirm that this is a feature only available to Red Star's and probably Titanium Level members? It seems that it would be such a good feature to document rides, projects, your own bikes or anything else to share.
I added a picture to my album - but I have a red star. I will sign in as my wife and see if she has an album - she has no red star.

Neither do other signed-in participants with no red star.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-29-08 at 08:15 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 AM.