Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Formal Statement of 2009 GOALS or NO GOALS (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/490050-formal-statement-2009-goals-no-goals.html)

DnvrFox 11-27-08 05:17 PM

Formal Statement of 2009 GOALS or NO GOALS

OK, we recently had a thread where we voted for and/or folks stated the TYPE of goal they would have in 2009. Some over-achieving types got carried away a bit and also stated their goals, which is, of course, fine.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=488669

Generally, however, when asked to state goals, folks tend to turn to miles and rides. Yet, most of the responders actually chose other type of goals (from the list below). Less than 1/2 actually chose a specific mileage goal.

Goal is to Have No Goals
Specific Annual Mileage Goal
Hourly/Time on Bike
Specific Rides to Complete
Just Have More Fun
Meet more people/social
Increased Fitness/Keep From Going Backwards
Commuting Goal
Family Activity/togetherness Goal
Other

So, here is a chance to put your 2009 goals (or non-goals) in writing, considering and includsing the wide variety of types of goals as noted above.

Are you game to write your 2009 goals (or non-goals) down, and then revisit them at about this time next year, when we can revive this thread and see how we did?

If so, please formally write down your 2009 goals or non-goals

For those of you who are still busy with your 2008 goals, and aren't ready to post yet, post when you are ready. No problem. This thread ought to be around for at least a month or longer. Please come back when you are ready.

Have fun.

NealH 11-27-08 05:34 PM

My goal is to be just as healthy and active this coming year as this past year. Cycling and swimming play a big part of attaining this goal - as well as a dose of old fashion luck.

Rides? Well, in addition to the many popular NC events and a couple in VA, there are two on my "must ride" list for 2009 since I missed them this past year - the Blue Ridge Extreme and the Civil War Century. Also, if I had the time I would make a Blue Ridge Parkway trek. Maybe this will be the 2010 goal.

DnvrFox 11-27-08 05:46 PM

OK, here are my goals.

1. At age 69, to continue to INCREASE my fitness level in all areas, concentrating on swimming, weight lifting, bicycling, walking and stretching.

I can measure this in several ways.
  • Swimming - how many lengths of the pool I can do without needing a rest. I have seen a lot of progress in this area since I started swimming last December

• Bicycling - I want to increase my speed a bit, and can gauge this by the amount of time it takes me to go on my "standard" ride.

• Weight lifting. Easily measured in reps and weights. I have actually increased my weights some this year, and additionally, have increased the types of lifting/pulleys, etc. I am doing. I am planning on taking a class in fitness NOT using weights in January, 2009.

• Stretching. Easily measurable, as stretching has been a lifesaver in some very intense pains I was getting this past year while walking. I went to my DO, and he gave me a few simple stretches to do, and this has caused a tremendous decrease in these episodes. Also, I can now dig my heel into my butt when stretching my quads, and can measurably increase the degree of height when stretching my hams. Continue stretching daily.

• Walking - I plan to just keep on walking.

2. Sprint Triathlon
  • I plan on doing a sprint triathlon in September, 2009. I will swim and bicycle, but will walk instead of run, as running is just too hard on my body. I will qualify in the 70 yo bracket.

3. Family togetherness, etc.
  • I will continue walking with Andy as he rides his three wheeler.

• My wife and I will continue (and increae, if possible) our riding time together. Hopefully, her medical problems will allow us to do this, as we both love to ride together.

4. Specific Rides
  • The 50+ Annual Ride, of course, in Glenwood, August 31, 2009

5. Body Composition
  • Lose 12 pounds - a pound a month, which I will track here

November 29, 2009 - 216.5

martianone 11-27-08 06:01 PM

"Goals for 2009" implies that 2008 is over- still a month of riding to go in 2008.
Received my first bike in 1960. It was like I had been given wings, "wings of wheels".
I ride for the pleasure of riding.
If I had a goal in 2008, it would have been to get as much pleasure as possible.
If I have a goal for 2009, it will be the same.

BengeBoy 11-27-08 06:03 PM

1. Mileage: At least 5,000 miles. (did 5300-ish in 2008)

2. Commute to work by bike at least 100 times. (113 times in 2008..this goal keeps me riding year round and provides good base miles in the winter)

3. Specific rides...at least 3 of the following:
- At least one 200k with the Seattle International Randonneurs (I am not ready for their longer rides.)
- RAMROD (Ride Around Mount Rainier in One Day, 150-ish miles; entrance by lottery only and can be hard to get in)
- High Pass Challenge (113 miles, lots of climbing, did this in '08)
- Tour de Blast (climb up to observatory overlooking crater of Mt. St. Helens. Beautiful ride, did this in '08)
- North Cascades Highway (have to work on the logistics for this)

4. Explore dirt roads/fire roads in the Cascades - figure out how/where to do this.

5. Take more and better pictures on bike rides.

6. Do *not* buy another bike. Unless it's a really good deal. Or the right color. Or a classic I've been searching for....

DnvrFox 11-27-08 06:04 PM

Setting goals in 2008 for 2009 in no way implies that one is not continuing on working on their 2009 goals. I know of no business or other activity that does not start setting goals (if they set goals) in advance of when the goals will actually be implemented.

However, if you would like to wait a bit, this thread will still be here when and if you are ready.

RoMad 11-27-08 07:05 PM

1. Ride at least as much in 09 as I did in 08.
2. Commute more
3. Find a good steel frame commuter that fits my slim bike budget.
4. Kayak more in 09 than I did in 08.

big john 11-27-08 08:32 PM

Denver, cherry picking in the 70 yo class?

DnvrFox 11-27-08 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 7928258)
Denver, cherry picking in the 70 yo class?

Yeah!

The rules are your age as of December 31 of 2009.

This year there were only 2 entries in that class. So, maybe at least a 3rd?

tsl 11-27-08 08:42 PM

I'm with martianone--there are still 34 riding days left in 2008.

I'll have specific goals for 2009, and I won't set them until late in December.

You can see what my 2008 goals are and how I've done against them so far in my BikeJournal profile.

JanMM 11-27-08 09:01 PM

It's not even the last month of the year, yet.

Digital Gee 11-27-08 10:52 PM

Can we add December's mileage into next year's accomplishments?

stevesurf 11-27-08 10:55 PM

This one's easy:

six centuries.

BluesDawg 11-27-08 11:15 PM

When the time comes to make specific goals for 2009, I'll put them here. But if this is to be a "formal" staement, does that mean I have to wear a black tie?

Shimagnolo 11-27-08 11:22 PM

My front door to the top of Mt Evans and back, in one day.
That is ~150 miles round trip and ~13,000' of climbing.

oilman_15106 11-27-08 11:39 PM

My goal is to have the value of my IRA increase by 150% by the end of 2009!

Maybe an unrealistic goal but a goal no less.

Robert Foster 11-27-08 11:50 PM

As I think about it my goals are to ride 3000 in 2009, ride my first century, and lose another 20 pounds.

DnvrFox 11-28-08 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 7928292)
I'm with martianone--there are still 34 riding days left in 2008.

I'll have specific goals for 2009, and I won't set them until late in December.

You can see what my 2008 goals are and how I've done against them so far in my BikeJournal profile.

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 7928354)
It's not even the last month of the year, yet.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7928849)
When the time comes to make specific goals for 2009, I'll put them here. But if this is to be a "formal" staement, does that mean I have to wear a black tie?

To my knowledge, this thread isn't going away. Hey, post your goals (if you post at all) when YOU are ready. I guess some of us (like me) like to do these things earlier than others. That's fine. Please come back.

Sorry, BluesDawg, I don't have a black tie - in fact, I hardly ever see black ties for sale. So, I guess it will have to be some other color of tie. How about Lemond BA 1999 bright yellow?

donheff 11-28-08 07:06 AM

Sorry Denvr your goal list makes me think of work. I always hated the annual planning process. No specific goals for me but I have some aspirations - including keep riding, improve fitness, maybe take up swimming again.

DnvrFox 11-28-08 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by donheff (Post 7929357)
Sorry Denvr your goal list makes me think of work. I always hated the annual planning process. No specific goals for me but I have some aspirations - including keep riding, improve fitness, maybe take up swimming again.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Being retired, I guess it doesn't bother me so much.

But - hey - an aspiration is just a goal in disguise.

JanMM 11-28-08 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by digital gee (Post 7928771)
can we add december's mileage into next year's accomplishments?

+1

stapfam 11-28-08 10:54 AM

I have a goal to aim for and that is for what not to do. Such as take 4 months out of the year building a pool for the wife.

But my aim at present is the 50+ bike ride- the planning and financing of it.

cccorlew 11-28-08 10:55 AM

Goals is such a big 'ol word. I think I have... notions.
This next year is going to be different for me as I'm not sure what to expect. Normally i bike commute every day, but the first half of 09 I'm in grad school, on sabbatical from my college. I have no idea how much riding time I'll have. If I'm able to ride enough, I have a mind to:

Ride a local hill climb time trial and shave 11 seconds off my 10:11 time (will be really hard)
Ride the Davis Double (it's a jersey year!)
My wife and I are looking at an 8-day ride in Washington run by Adventure Cyclists.

Yen 11-28-08 11:29 AM

My preliminary goals for 2009 are:
1. Dial in the correct headset and/or handlebar configuration on my LHT so I can ride it as long and as far as I want to without any permanent numbness in my right-hand fingers.
2. Be able to change a tire without any help from someone with stronger hands. I want to master this so that I can quickly change a tire without hesitation at a moment's notice without any wrist pain.
3. Use my bike for most local errands or shopping trips whenever possible.
4. Find some longer routes to train for longer distances and build my mileage tolerance.
5. I'd like to be able to tackle any of the local hills including Mt. Baldy.

I am hesitant to set any specific mileage goals, or any goals to ride centuries, because I don't want to put riding goals above the needs of my family and set myself up for disappointment if "life" gets in the way of meeting those goals, AND I don't want to get locked in to achieving just numbers. I'll be very happy if I continue riding as often as possible, and improve my overall strength and stamina -- nothing specific in terms of numbers, just stay ahead of the aging process.

I'll probably edit this post later if new goals come to mind.

Yen 11-28-08 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7930050)
I have a goal to aim for and that is for what not to do. Such as take 4 months out of the year building a pool for the wife.

But my aim at present is the 50+ bike ride- the planning and financing of it.

Unless she wants another pool, I think you shouldn't have to worry about that one. :)