Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-08, 04:47 PM   #1
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spain tour report

My wife and I just returned from a VBT tour in the Andalusia region of Spain. It was a good trip with a great group but not quite up to a VBT tour we took in Italy a year and a half ago. VBT tours are expensive, although no where near as pricey as Backroads or Butterfield and Robinson. These are tours for someone who wants fully supported light, scenic riding with excellent food and lodging.

We started with a pre-trip visit to Seville. Biking began about 60 miles south east of Seville where we stayed two nights in an old monastery in the town of Palma del Rios. We then moved to Cordoba for two nights with a day off for exploration. Cordoba is ancient and beautiful. In addition to visiting the town and eating at some great restaurants we spent a relaxing few hours in an Arab bath (Hammas) complete with a massage - ahhhh. Outside of Cordoba we biked to a Botega (winery) where we drank a good deal of excellent sherry. Then we moved to a nice hotel in a small town called Cabras. From Cabras we rode on a rail trail called the Subbetica Greenway which runs on an old olive old train route through the mountains. Several of us took a hilly side trip to a beautiful town in the mountains above the greenway. The tour ended in Granada where we saw the wonderful Alhambra. A few of us went to Barcelona for a couple of days after the tour. Barcelona is the Paris of Spain - very cosmopolitan, excellent food.

Below are a few shots from the trip. If you are interested in a lot of photos from the ride and more from the cities we visited, drop in on my family web site photo gallery and click on VBT Spain..

Barb at the Plaza de Spana on a rental bike in Seville. Seville has a great program for renting bikes for almost nothing but we had a problem registering so we rented a couple of beaters from a shop.

Barb's backside (on the right) on a road outside Palma del Rios

Barb and me outside Palma del Rios

A herd of goats along the rail trail.

Riding to the town above the rail trail.

Last edited by donheff; 11-28-08 at 05:07 PM.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 04:54 PM   #2
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. Looks like fun! Thanks for the pix.
Old 11-28-08, 05:06 PM   #3
djnzlab1

Bikes:
Awwwww DAng

HI,
I know the area I lived in ROta for 5 3/4 years at the Naval Hospital Rota SPain.
GOsh Its a nice place to live.
I haven't been back in a while its probably changed alot since they joined world market, pre euro..
The good old days,
DOug

Last edited by djnzlab1; 11-28-08 at 07:04 PM.
djnzlab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 05:08 PM   #4
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Fun pics. It had never struck me until I was talking to a friend who had taken a long bike excursion -- take your own saddle. Did you do that?
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 06:40 PM   #5
donheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
Fun pics. It had never struck me until I was talking to a friend who had taken a long bike excursion -- take your own saddle. Did you do that?
I didn't, although several others did. I also left my pedals behind. I figured the distances were not so great (30-50 miles a day) that I needed to worry about it. Also, we went with the standard flat bar touring/cross bike VBT offers with 32C tires. We thought about getting road bikes but I liked the touring bike we took on a previous trip so we stuck with that. For this particular trip the wider tires were good. The rail trail was crushed gravel and much nicer with the wider tires. Also, a number of the road bikes got flats while none of the touring bikes did. I think some of the other VBT trips (Tuscany hills, France) would be better on road bikes. Next trip I will take my pedals (I missed them). I won't bother with the saddle unless I go on a trip with longer rides.
Old 11-28-08, 07:09 PM   #6
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Looks like a great ride. My family and I spent a week in the area (Marbella, Sevilla, Jerez, Granada) during Holy Week one year. We loved Andalusia, going back and seeing by bike would be fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 11:18 PM   #7
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Wow, what a trip! I'd love to do that some day. Nice pics too.
Old 11-28-08, 11:27 PM   #8
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Great trip and pics.
Old 11-29-08, 01:27 AM   #9
chainstrainer
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0
Nice pics of a great adventure! Please tell me you did partake of Jamon Iberico de bellota with perhaps a snifter of Lepanto Oloroso Viejo?
chainstrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 01:46 AM   #10
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Looks like fun! Did you get a chance to ride on our bike paths while here in Seville?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 06:51 AM   #11
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the pictures...they were beautiful

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 07:10 AM   #12
donheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainstrainer View Post
Nice pics of a great adventure! Please tell me you did partake of Jamon Iberico de bellota with perhaps a snifter of Lepanto Oloroso Viejo?
Multiple times. I liked a few nips of Pedro Ximenez after dinner as well. Also brought home a couple of bottles of olive oil from a family farm/business we visited.
Old 11-29-08, 08:31 AM   #13
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
What a trip! Planning on going to Spain in March but my wife is not a cyclist so it will be just as tourists.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 10:25 AM   #14
Artmo

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; 2014 Cannondale T2 tandem
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the photos and description.

As an aside, I wonder why US organized tours are so much more expensive than ones booked directly in Europe. We have used Rotalis, on a fully supported Umbria/Tuscany tour - excellent. And this year we used Cyclomundo, on an unaccompanied tour in Burgundy. Again excellent and less expensive than US companies. I have no connection with these companies, apart from being a very satisfied customer.
Artmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 02:21 PM   #15
tulip

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the photos and description.

As an aside, I wonder why US organized tours are so much more expensive than ones booked directly in Europe. We have used Rotalis, on a fully supported Umbria/Tuscany tour - excellent. And this year we used Cyclomundo, on an unaccompanied tour in Burgundy. Again excellent and less expensive than US companies. I have no connection with these companies, apart from being a very satisfied customer.
Thanks for those names, Artmo. I'm going to look into those. I've done touring on my own in France, but not (yet) in Italy. My Italian is not nearly as good as my French, so I'll likely want some sort of support, either accompanied or not.

Nice pics, donheff!
tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 08:41 PM   #16
NealH 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Another place in Spain that's worth considering and, is not too expensive is Montefrio. I have not been there but, a cycling friend has spoken highly of it. Its 40 minutes west of Granada and, is one of the few remaining "white villages". Everything around is rolling roads through olive orchards, many old Moorish and early Christian ruins, and lots of food. Easy access to the coast and to Granada. An expat Englishman owns, and has restored a bunch of small stone homes which can be rented.

http://www.donlorenzo.com/
NealH is offline   Reply With Quote