I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing bikes in the house... :-)

Well, necessity IS the mother of invention!

This weekend has been devoted to turning our little house into a Christmas ornament, and it's been fun. Stringing lights on the outside, and setting up a tree on the inside, along with the Christmas Story village, and so on.

But living in a small house can be a logistical nightmare, because when you want to do something here, you have to move something over there. Take the Christmas tree, for instance.

We wanted it in the dining room, so that it would also be visible from the outside of the house through a window. Well, that meant finding a new place for the Globe Vienna 2, which has occupied this place of honor since first coming home. We found a way of putting the bike in the master bedroom, which even has a door leading outside, and I realized that this might be a good permanent parking spot for the Globe.

(The Roubaix and DD's carbon schmarbon bike live in her office.)

And then it struck me -- once Christmas is over, and the tree is packed and put away, we'll have room for a fourth bike indoors -- in the dining room, where the Globe paved the way. Since DD is looking for her own errand bike (and leaning lately toward a 21 speed Electra), we may be able to do N+1 without too much hassle -- even in a small house like ours!

Woohoo!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago, I put one of the bikes up on a trainer in the living room and strung some lights over the frame and wheels. Even da wife approved. Might try that option again.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Digital Gee;7934454And then it struck me -- once Christmas is over, and the tree is packed and put away, we'll have room for a fourth bike indoors -- in the dining room, where the Globe paved the way. Since DD is looking for her own errand bike (and leaning lately toward a 21 speed Electra), we may be able to do N+1 without too much hassle -- even in a small house like ours![/QUOTE]

Deege. You've got BAD*.

*Bicycle Acquisition Disorder.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At some point you may discover your bikes need a shed. Yes last week I was forced to part with enough to buy a Tuff Shed. When I got the Revive in early May it wasn't too bad to keep in the house. Then Came the Haro Escape. Now whe my wife wanted to get to a craft or a file a bike had to be moved. Found a place so that wasn't necessary and then the Jamis in July. Now some minor grumbeling started. When the topic of the Trek came up a promise of a shed resulted. Now any new addition would hardly be noticed. The Jamis can still come inside because it is on the road the most.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband would NEVER keep the bikes out in the garage, they MUST stay in the house where it's safe and warm (when the wood stove is going). The tandem is in the small dining room, (we never invite people over so we don't have to use the area). One of the Colnago's is in the living room at the far end sharing a space with the Holland. The other Colnago is in the dining room next to the bar (which isn't really a bar) and my two bikes are down in the office. The only time they are allowed to venture out into the garage is for a good cleaning, then they must come right back in the house. The only things left outside are the dogs (who have their own houses). We will have to decorate up the tandem again this year and ride around San Diego Bay (our yearly tradition). The holidays are for sharing--even with the bikes.
    Cats are people too.

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ I assume you have a detached garage.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right- that shed- Think of a size you want- measure up very carefully and allow for the N+1(2)

And then double it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where there's a will (and space), there's a room for N+1.

All of our bikes are in the house. We're now at N-1 since Hubby took the Roubaix to the LBS to sell. We'll be at N-2 when I sell the Giant Cypress. Then, we'll be down to only 4 in the house, and ready for the N+1........ recumbent? tandem? I'm happy with the two I now have, the Roubaix and the LHT.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Right- that shed- Think of a size you want- measure up very carefully and allow for the N+1(2)

And then double it.
    You speak well from experience, O Master of Many Bikes.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built one of those bike hanger items that allow two bikes to be stored one above the other. They seemed a bit costly and not much too them so I used a picture of one from the Nashbar catalogue and made one out of 2x4's and some stain I had laying around. Probably cost me $15 bucks. I used a bit of felt I had laying about to cover the bottom and top and built it just tall enough to free stand against the wall kinda/sorta mildly wedged floor and ceiling.
    It held my two bikes perfectly, took up very little room and was easily taken down without leaving a mark...we were living in an apartment with a cranky land lord.
    Perhaps something like that would give the storage room you need while reducing the "bike footprint"...kinda/sorta like the carbon footprint?...in your home.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Then, we'll be down to only 4 in the house, and ready for the N+1....... tandem?
    Whichever way your relationship is headed, a tandem will get you there quicker. Mrs Grouch and I have been riding tandems together for 32 years. I recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the exception of the bicycles used on the stationary trainer / rollers in the exercise room over the garage.....

The rest of the bicycles are kept suspended from the garage ceiling where they can't be knocked over or have anything fall onto them.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 11-29-08 at 01:53 PM.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I built a second attached two-car garage (so that I could convert the first one into my wife's art and ballet studio), I set the slab about two inches below that of the house, but made the eve line match. The extra height came in handy for hanging the bikes from the rafters. With 1400 sq. ft. of living space excluding my wife's art studio and with son #2 still living part-time at home, there is no room for bikes in the house.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    I built one of those bike hanger items that allow two bikes to be stored one above the other. They seemed a bit costly and not much too them so I used a picture of one from the Nashbar catalogue and made one out of 2x4's and some stain I had laying around. Probably cost me $15 bucks. I used a bit of felt I had laying about to cover the bottom and top and built it just tall enough to free stand against the wall kinda/sorta mildly wedged floor and ceiling.
    It held my two bikes perfectly, took up very little room and was easily taken down without leaving a mark...we were living in an apartment with a cranky land lord.
    Perhaps something like that would give the storage room you need while reducing the "bike footprint"...kinda/sorta like the carbon footprint?...in your home.

Kai has a good idea here, the racks that lean against the wall can be turned into bike art. Drop bar bikes don't take up a lot of room against the wall and if kept well cleaned look sort of artsy.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    With the exception of the bicycles used on the stationary trainer / rollers in the exercise room over the garage.....

The rest of the bicycles are kept suspended from the garage ceiling where they can't be knocked over or have anything fall onto them.

Gosh, I only have six bikes. I feel like such a piker.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    My husband would NEVER keep the bikes out in the garage, they MUST stay in the house where it's safe and warm (when the wood stove is going). The only things left outside are the dogs (who have their own houses). We will have to decorate up the tandem again this year and ride around San Diego Bay (our yearly tradition). The holidays are for sharing--even with the bikes.
    My shed is at least twice as safe as my house and maybe warmer. It is a bit like my *** Safe in that regard. But in our old house the bikes would have had a room for themselves. So I understand keeping the bikes inside. The place we moved to has half the space of our old house. But one thing that hasn't happened in the last 35 years is for one of our fur people living outside. They provide company for my wife when I was traveling and they do now when I am off riding my bike. They work better than a door bell and will pick food off the floor if you happen to drop it. The one we have now is a traveling companion as well. I have even been known to hook up the bike trailer and give the fur person a ride just for kicks. But I have thought about making a web page to journal my bikes like I have for my molly.

http://mysite.verizon.net/reszpj1d/mollytheratterrier/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that made us to decide to buy this particular condo was the bike shop/storage room adjacent to the garage.

Come to think of it, the thing that made us decide on the particular car that we bought was it's bike hauling capability.

I think there might be a trend here.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason we bought our Honda Oydessy was because the tandem would fit in it. Salesman thought we were crazy but he got a sale out of it.
    Cats are people too.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    The reason we bought our Honda Oydessy was because the tandem would fit in it. Salesman thought we were crazy but he got a sale out of it.
    We own an Odyssey for the same reason!!!!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    The thing that made us to decide to buy this particular condo was the bike shop/storage room adjacent to the garage.

Come to think of it, the thing that made us decide on the particular car that we bought was it's bike hauling capability.

I think there might be a trend here.
    Yes, now that is a good reason to buy a vehicle. But I am putting more miles on my bikes than my car this year.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my bikes are in the utility room in the basement. Six are around the furnace/water heater/freezer in the corner (3 hanging on front wheels from wall and 3 on the floor). I have 5 more wheel hangers in on the rafters (in two other sides of the room) and a bike stand.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page