User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode with a cheater today

I had to work today but being a slow day I took a long lunch and took my bike to a local MUP. The MUP is only 5 miles long so I did two out and backs. It was very windy on the out portion so I stayed on the small ring in the front and just kept up my rpms. As I was coming back from my first lap I passed a fellow who looked about 60 just leaving the parking lot on a comfort bike. I made a slow lap around the parking lot and headed back into the wind. I figured I would catch him fairly soon. I didn't see him again until the 3 mile marker. He had stopped and was starting again just ahead of me. I sped up a little to catch him and he kept looking over his shoulder and speeding up. I kept speeding up and got about 2 feet behind him. He was sitting up so straight he was easy to draft. He was going straight into a strong wind at 18.5 mph on a comfort bike with a front shock. We exchanged pleasantrys and I drafted him until the 5 mile marker at the end of the trail. I could'nt beleive how fast he could ride into that head wind. When he stopped I noticed a big odd looking hub on his bike. I asked him if he had drum brakes. He said no, it's an electric motor that aides me when I pedal. I wish I had my camera with me. It was one of these
    http://www.greenspeed.us/bionx_motor_bike_kit.htm. I left him at the end of trail as I had to get back to work. He said he was going to have a smoke (pipe) and enjoy the view of the gulf of Mexico before heading back.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a BFN forum specifically dedicated to electric bikes.

http://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/

We rode in an organized ride where a person with a disability used one of those. It really helped her to keep up, as she did not have the strength to pedal much uphill.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess not everyone rides for fitness. Stopping to have a smoke on one's pipe is priceless.... not great for one's health, but priceless.

I confess to cheating when it comes to golf. I could never figure out why you carry handfuls of tees in your golf bag unless you intend to use them. Hence, if I don't like the lay for my second shot, often as not, I'll tee it up.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I confess that I cheated today - and am better for it. I've been completely worn down by a cold and sinus infection for about a month. Today, I rode my Bionx assisted cyclocross bike to work. It greatly improved my spirits. I would not have been able to ride normally and remained strong enough to put in my hours at the office.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goes along with the thread on now varied we all are. ALL kinds of people ride bikes, even cheaters...er...those who need a little help once in a while, like those who smoke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't give up on him so quickly

As a former smoker who now puts more miles on his bike than his car. This guy might just end up giving up the smoke and just needs a little nudge in the right direction. He might be powering his own someday.