Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Score!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 11:59 AM
train safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Score!!!

On Thanksgiving day I did a quick peek at Craigslist and found a 1995 Bianchi Giro - chromoly, Campagnolo Veloce components in my size for $200... I quickly emailed the vendor, and found I was the first to answer. I picked up the bike yesterday, and it is just what I was looking for-- an alternative commuter for the days I don't feel like riding the fixie... The seller did warn me that it would probably need new wheels soon, so I will post a question here...

Any ideas where I can find an 8-speed compatible Campagnolo rear wheel? Most of what I see in Performance, and all the major web retailers is Shimano... my LBS closed its doors on november 1 (he would have ordered anything for me). My other LBS is a Performance retail store.

train safe-
Old 11-30-08, 12:10 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by buelito
On Thanksgiving day I did a quick peek at Craigslist and found a 1995 Bianchi Giro - chromoly, Campagnolo Veloce components in my size for $200... I quickly emailed the vendor, and found I was the first to answer. I picked up the bike yesterday, and it is just what I was looking for-- an alternative commuter for the days I don't feel like riding the fixie... The seller did warn me that it would probably need new wheels soon, so I will post a question here...

Any ideas where I can find an 8-speed compatible Campagnolo rear wheel? Most of what I see in Performance, and all the major web retailers is Shimano... my LBS closed its doors on november 1 (he would have ordered anything for me). My other LBS is a Performance retail store.

train safe-
aebike.com or Excell Sports. The latter are high end though.
Old 11-30-08, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An off the wall alternative, which would work very well, would be to couple your Campy 8 speed drive train to any 8 speed Shimano cassette wheel using a Jtek Shiftmate adapter. There is nothing "make-do" about Jtek...I've used one of their adapters for 3 years with flawless shifting (9 spd Ergo's to Shimano drivetrain). A gizmo that really works! Anyway, a possibility. Cost $35 plus shipping.

Go here: https://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Another possibility would be to simply go friction with some bar-ends or downtube shifters and any cassette/wheel you like. Would make for an interesting, no-indexing adjustment ever bike.

Last edited by Velo Fellow; 11-30-08 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-30-08, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like a good bike at a great price. Could we please have some pics ? Last year I picked up some nice 8 speed Shamals for not a lot of money. Try ebay and use the want to buy thread in the C&V-forum.
Old 11-30-08, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of LBS in the DC Metro area--I'm sure there are at least a few that would be helpful. Nice find, by the way!
Old 11-30-08, 02:44 PM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hAveyou taken a look at upgrading the 8 speed Campy over to 9 speed? The parts are more readily available and may be compatibile, though of course nowhere near the avial. of 10 sp
Old 11-30-08, 03:54 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Or you could reuse the hubs and add new rims and spokes to build new wheels.
Old 11-30-08, 03:56 PM
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Or you could reuse the hubs and add new rims and spokes to build new wheels.
thanks for all the responses-- this is the route I will probably go--

train safe-
Old 11-30-08, 04:08 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buelito
thanks for all the responses-- this is the route I will probably go--

train safe-
Get those hubs checked out first. I have normally found that I can buy handbuilt wheels cheaper than rebuilding old wheels. And a 13 year old hub may be coming to the end of its life. Just get the old wheels retrued and retensioned and keep them as spares.

Spike Milligan