Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Too many bikes?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many bikes?

I know there is not such a thing but I have been looking at my bikes and wondering what use they get.

2 mountain bikes and only one gets used. The Bianchi Grizzly is a fine bike and does everything I want it to. The "OLD" Kona Explosif rarely gets taken out so it just sits in the shed

Bikes that are never used- The wifes bike is one of them. a GT Talera that is in immaculate condition but since she now has a NEW car- it will get used even less. An old Mixte that I was given thatapart from tyre degrdation is immaculate. I keep thinking I will find someone that wants a bike- but they take one look at it and there is always something wrong with it.

I also have a couple of bikes out with my daughter- they were bought for her but she doesn't ride them. Her Husband has repaid me by putting a couple of his bikes in the shed. Well all the rides start from my house so why not keep them here. Then when he comes back with a fault on the bike after a ride- he has a handy mechanic to repair it before next week.

The tandem has not seen much use this year but that bike is fantastic to ride. Only problem is that you have to wear earplugs with it so you can't hear the stoker screaming on the downhills. Tried two new stokers this year and neither trusts me at 40 mph on the lumpy downhills. In fact one of them got to the bottom of a fast downhill and phoned his wife to come and collect him. So more effort has to go in to find some strong legged idiot to act as stoker.

Then the road bikes. My starter bike was a Giant OCR3. good bike for a newbie but have to admit that it could be bettered. It gets loaned out to other riders more than me riding so perhaps time for it to go. Then there is Boreas. MY bike and no-one rides that except for me. I have the TCR that I set up for my son-in law if he wants to ride but The TCR was bought for a reason. A cheaper bike than the Boreas that I would not be too worried about taking it out in foul weather. And due to the weather we are having- Boreas does not get out much right now.

So why the H*ll am I out looking for a new bike or frame to build up? Looking for a cyclo cross bike or Frame and forks to build up so I can get out on some of the longer distance trails in our region. Currently I use the Bianchi on those rides- but a CX bike would be better suited.

Only one thing for it- An annex to the shed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way too many bikes

Personally, I like to see bikes get ridden. I loan some, donate others to a Recycle Bike program or an Earn a Bike program for youth, and even put a few out on a bike stand at the neighborhood athletic club for free use.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having too many bikes is like having too much sex.

Can't be done!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got BAD, Stappie. Bicycle acquisition disorder. I guess that maybe it takes one to know one.

We've got a couple of bikes in our storage room that, while they havn't been ridden in over a year, I can't bring myself to part with. One is my Porsche mountain bike, the other is my wife's Specialized Crossroads Pro.

So far I'm doing a pretty good job of resisting the urge to add to the collection. I've managed to do that by contenting myself with reworking the ones that I have. I have one bike disassembled for a repaint right now and two others for which I have a new paint schemes in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

The tandem has not seen much use this year but that bike is fantastic to ride. Only problem is that you have to wear earplugs with it so you can't hear the stoker screaming on the downhills. Tried two new stokers this year and neither trusts me at 40 mph on the lumpy downhills. In fact one of them got to the bottom of a fast downhill and phoned his wife to come and collect him. So more effort has to go in to find some strong legged idiot to act as stoker.

Now that is funny! Sadly though, I would be one of those on the phone at the bottom of the first downhill

Don't build an annex to the shed, build a second shed A bike specific shed, hmmmm any ideas out there?

TJ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have more bikes than I "need". I try to ride each of them at least once or twice a month. But since reading this thread I've realized there is one that hasn't seen any action for about six weeks. I guess I'll lube the chain tonight and ride it tomorrow.

Despite this, I find myself cruising site on the Internet and dreaming about new builds or new parts for current bikes. I must have BAD too.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Jack View Post
    Now that is funny! Sadly though, I would be one of those on the phone at the bottom of the first downhill

Don't build an annex to the shed, build a second shed A bike specific shed, hmmmm any ideas out there?

TJ
    16 x 10 bike shed. And it would have to be annex- Rest of the garden is taken with the wifes pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now that the kids have moved out and I only have my bikes to take care of I find myself at 3 possibly headed for 4.

1 is a reasonably hard core MTB hardtail that is sufficient for the worst of the trails that I am willing to ride.
    2 is a fast/flat dirt road hardtail, designed to be more like a hybrid as it looses very little capability on asphault. It is not however capable of radical off road work as it has no suspension at all and the steering angles are not stable enough for very rough riding.
    3 is a TT bike.......a speciality niche item
    4 will probably be a comfortable general purpose road bike capable of taking a 28mm tire so that I can also use the flat fast dirt trails in the area as shortcuts from road to road.

I can only hope that I can resist the urge to play with tandems or recumbent trikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer I tried to give away two nice bikes to good friends (husband and wife). Later after they had driven away with the bikes, my wife found money hidden under a tissue box in the bathroom. So it seems I "sold" two bikes.

That helped to open a small gap in the basement bike clutter, at least temporarily. I've been contemplating purchasing a new LHT...so here we go again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've thinned our collective herd to 10, 12 if you count frames.

Hers: 2 road bikes (both '02ish)
    His: 3 road bikes ('98ish) + 2 road frames in storage (also '98ish)
    His: 2 off-road bikes (both '98)
    Ours: 2 road tandems ('98 & '07)
    Ours: 1 off-road tandem ('02)

'98 was apparently a good year, as only 2 of the 8 '98ish bikes were bought new. The rest were acquired second hand off Ebay and elsewhere around 2000 - 2001 & '07.

However, if it wasn't for logistical reasons / space constraints / covering the cost of new bikes I'd have kept every bicycle I'd ever owned. There weren't any stinkers in the bunch.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    ..That helped to open a small gap in the basement bike clutter, at least temporarily. ..
    We all know what that means.

stapfam - there is a reason to thin the herd - an ongoing N+2 rule is invoked after a single N-1 event.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i've got 12, soon to be 14. it's bad. i just rented a storage space and put several of them in there. storage- the kiss of death. there are a few bikes that i'll never fix up to ride and really need to unload. and there are many days that i think i need to unload at least half of them to partially fund one really good custom. in an ideal world, i'd have four total.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    I've thinned our collective herd to 10, 12 if you count frames.
    I remember being at a party several years ago when a non-rider friend asked how many bikes I owned. I had to think for a minute about my answer: Do naked frames count? How about a complete bike in a box? While I was doing that my wife jumped in and said: "He has 8 bicycles." After that I decided to keep quiet but I wondered which ones she didn't know about.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be suffering from some unknown disease as I don't have the N+1 problem at this time

I have the Madone for road riding, the 520 for touring, the mountain bike with child trailer attached for hauling the grand-kids around the neighborhood and the foot-bike for scooting around the neighborhood with them. There's also a Townie sitting in the garage for the daughter. The only bike related project is acquiring different tires for the mountain bike. I don't need the knobbies because I can guarantee this bike is never going to see the technical trails again I still hope to take it for a trip on the Allegheny Passage.

Maybe it has something to do with the cold weather and the current indoor projects.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like Stepfam has nearly a dozen bikes. That is a lot.. We are still working on our half dozen..That is not too many. My three bikes get used equally.. My wife's bike, used the least... I have no Mtn bike. I am wondering if that would be used.?... I am a city/street kind of rider.... Of course, I get my higher end tourer, we will make that half dozen mark...
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I must be suffering from some unknown disease as I don't have the N+1 problem at this time
    Don't worry, it'll go away. You'll be normal again sooner or later. Keep your chin up.