Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ Cyclist and Good Friend Hit by a Truck

Darn, darn, darn............

One of fellows I ride with the most and "train" with was hit by a truck Friday while out riding solo. He is in the hospital with serious injuries to his left hip, knee, lower leg and hand.

The truck was coming in the oncoming direction on a two lane road and turned left right into him while attempting to turn onto a side street. The truck driver said he was worried about a vehicle that was tailgating him and was trying to get off the road quickly and didn't see my riding buddy. My buddy didn't see the truck until it was on top of him. My buddy indicated that if someone had been on his wheel they probably would not have survived. On the other hand had there been two riders maybe the driver would have seen the two of them???

This happened on a rural road, a long straight stretch with very light traffic and in literally as good a cycling area as you could find.

My buddy called me from the hospital and was really out of it as you might expect from the pain medication and lack of sleep -but we were able to talk briefly. His wife is disabled plus he has his own business where he has several projects that are at a very critcal point that need action. I reassured him we'd do what we could to help him and his wife out.

I've picked up his bike and will take it to the LBS for "processing". There might be a few parts salvageable but not a lot......

Darn, darn, darn............this one is really is way, way too close to home.

My Bikes
    91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear this. I hope he recovers quickly and fully.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope your friend has a speedy recovery. Way too much of this going around..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news indeed. I hope he pulls through this well and gets back on the bike. He's lucky to have a friend like you to help him.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Darn, darn, darn............

One of fellows I ride with the most and "train" with was hit by a truck Friday while out riding solo. He is in the hospital with serious injuries to his left hip, knee, lower leg and hand.

The truck was coming in the oncoming direction on a two lane road and turned left right into him while attempting to turn onto a side street. The truck driver said he was worried about a vehicle that was tailgating him and was trying to get off the road quickly and didn't see my riding buddy. My buddy didn't see the truck until it was on top of him. My buddy indicated that if someone had been on his wheel they probably would not have survived. On the other hand had there been two riders maybe the driver would have seen the two of them???

This happened on a rural road, a long straight stretch with very light traffic and in literally as good a cycling area as you could find.

My buddy called me from the hospital and was really out of it as you might expect from the pain medication and lack of sleep -but we were able to talk briefly. His wife is disabled plus he has his own business where he has several projects that are at a very critcal point that need action. I reassured him we'd do what we could to help him and his wife out.

I've picked up his bike and will take it to the LBS for "processing". There might be a few parts salvageable but not a lot......

Don't "process" anything untill the insurance company and your buddies laywers weigh in. Very often, the offending drivers insurance is not going to be enough for his medical let alone a reasonable return on the bike. This size accident is not scratch and dent......its laywer time.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like he is lucky to be alive. Now is the time to get over the luck and get a good lawyer. It is sad to me that a lawyer is necessary, but I would not trust the drivers insurance one bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're all too close to home to someone. Sorry to hear of his misfortune. Hope he heals quickly without too much damage to his quality of life (give work and home demands).
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE...what was he wearing?

Something like this seems to be a point for hi-viz clothing and daylight flashers on the front of the bike. I use a flasher in addition to twin Dinotte's for early AM and night rides, but I don't always use a front light in town during the day.

I think a left turn in front of you by the unseeing car or truck is every cyclist's nightmare. I wish your friend a full recovery.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 12-01-08 at 10:57 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us posted. Any friend of yours is . . . . . .

This is very similar to the only time I was hit by a car. I was in college, heading down a hill. A Triumph sports car turned in front of me and I hit it, or he hit me. I did a couple of summersaults over the car and landed on the road, mostly unhurt. He put what was left of the bike in his trunk and closed it. Drove me back to school. I got $140 from the insurance compnay.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hurt just thinking about it. I hope everything turns out well, good luck on a fast recovery.
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hurts when it is this close and to a dear friend. Doesn't matter how much we try to protect ourselves- we cannot cater for the idiots out there.

Even yesterday on my ride- I had to avoid a car---again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arrggh! Very sorry to hear, I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Steve

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your buddy. Hope him a speedy recovery. What hospital, I work at a hospital and if it is the same I will see if I can visit him tomorrow.
    09 Specialized Crosstrail Elite
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Something like this seems to be point for hi-viz clothing and daylight flashers on the front of the bike. I use a flasher in addition to twin Dinotte's for early AM and night rides, but I don't always a front light in town during the day.
    If I'm going to be out in traffic at all, I've gotten into the habit of leaving my front and rear lights on in flash mode. Steady on doesn't attract attention I don't think, but I get the sense that people notice flashing lights during daylight hours.

I hope your friend recovers quickly. I started riding again this February after not riding for many moons. When I first got on the streets, I rode under the assumption that no one could/would see me. I'm a little less timid now, but still there are a lot of situations where I know that as a cyclist, I'm not as visible in traffic as I am vulnerable. I think it's important to keep that in mind when navigating in traffic.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's concerns. My fellow cyclist is a very experienced, cautious and very strong rider-this type of accident just doesn't seem to make sense......I picked up his bike today and after seeing the damage to the left side of his bike I can only imagine the impact to his left leg.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Don't "process" anything untill the insurance company and your buddies laywers weigh in. Very often, the offending drivers insurance is not going to be enough for his medical let alone a reasonable return on the bike. This size accident is not scratch and dent......its laywer time.
    Good advice. My brother has been involved in cycling/vehicle accidents and used an attorney and we have passed the suggestion on to my buddy. I bet the driver is way underinsured for this situation. We're looking at an extended hospital stay, transportation between hospitals, multiple surgeries, possibly multiple joint replacements, physical therapy, a high end road bike not to mention the potential impact on a business

[QUOTE=Monoborracho;7939854]JPPE...what was he wearing? QUOTE]
    I'm not sure what jersey he had on Friday but I know what he wears 90% of the time. It was a pretty well lit day and would think that anyone would be able to see a cyclist.........at least if they were looking in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by dguest View Post
    Sorry to hear about your buddy. Hope him a speedy recovery. What hospital, I work at a hospital and if it is the same I will see if I can visit him tomorrow.
    He's been transferred to CMC in Charlotte.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear the bad news--and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Stay safe and visible out there, everyone.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your friend and I wish him a rapid and total recovery.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear about that!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that he was able to be okay enough to call you. My best wishes for him to be out of pain and on the road to healing and a quick recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I hope your friend makes a complete recovery and is back on his feet (and his bike) very soon.

While out riding I never assume a driver sees me... I have my hands poised near the brake levers while riding in traffic, ready to stop.... always looking around, checking, re-checking. Accidents can happen at the least expected times, in the least expected ways.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to your friend jppe - may you be ok also.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . I reassured him we'd do what we could to help him and his wife out.

God bless you for being the kind of friend who offers practical help in a situation like this. It hits very close to home and I wish your friend the best. It sounds like his head is fine, which would be my main concern, though orthopedic injuries can be very serious too.
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's wishing your friend a speedy recovery. And one for you too, these accidents always hurt more than the victim. Keep on being a good friend, but don't forget to take care of yourself.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is lucky that he is not one of these stories, from the past few days:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&fk...nG=Search+News
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news indeed, I hope for a complete and speedy recovery.

Having just driven 700+ miles in the last 36 hours I can readily attest to the potential for making terrible mistakes when concerned about tailgaters. I missed two turns to avoid being rear-ended. In my opinion the tailgater shares as much blame in this as the truck driver does. None of this will help your buddy heal any faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast