Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Score!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Score!!!

On Thanksgiving day I did a quick peek at Craigslist and found a 1995 Bianchi Giro - chromoly, Campagnolo Veloce components in my size for $200... I quickly emailed the vendor, and found I was the first to answer. I picked up the bike yesterday, and it is just what I was looking for-- an alternative commuter for the days I don't feel like riding the fixie... The seller did warn me that it would probably need new wheels soon, so I will post a question here...

Any ideas where I can find an 8-speed compatible Campagnolo rear wheel? Most of what I see in Performance, and all the major web retailers is Shimano... my LBS closed its doors on november 1 (he would have ordered anything for me). My other LBS is a Performance retail store.

train safe-

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    On Thanksgiving day I did a quick peek at Craigslist and found a 1995 Bianchi Giro - chromoly, Campagnolo Veloce components in my size for $200... I quickly emailed the vendor, and found I was the first to answer. I picked up the bike yesterday, and it is just what I was looking for-- an alternative commuter for the days I don't feel like riding the fixie... The seller did warn me that it would probably need new wheels soon, so I will post a question here...

Any ideas where I can find an 8-speed compatible Campagnolo rear wheel? Most of what I see in Performance, and all the major web retailers is Shimano... my LBS closed its doors on november 1 (he would have ordered anything for me). My other LBS is a Performance retail store.

train safe-
    aebike.com or Excell Sports. The latter are high end though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An off the wall alternative, which would work very well, would be to couple your Campy 8 speed drive train to any 8 speed Shimano cassette wheel using a Jtek Shiftmate adapter. There is nothing "make-do" about Jtek...I've used one of their adapters for 3 years with flawless shifting (9 spd Ergo's to Shimano drivetrain). A gizmo that really works! Anyway, a possibility. Cost $35 plus shipping.

Go here: http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Another possibility would be to simply go friction with some bar-ends or downtube shifters and any cassette/wheel you like. Would make for an interesting, no-indexing adjustment ever bike.
    Last edited by Velo Fellow; 11-30-08 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good bike at a great price. Could we please have some pics ? Last year I picked up some nice 8 speed Shamals for not a lot of money. Try ebay and use the want to buy thread in the C&V-forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of LBS in the DC Metro area--I'm sure there are at least a few that would be helpful. Nice find, by the way!

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hAveyou taken a look at upgrading the 8 speed Campy over to 9 speed? The parts are more readily available and may be compatibile, though of course nowhere near the avial. of 10 sp

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could reuse the hubs and add new rims and spokes to build new wheels.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Or you could reuse the hubs and add new rims and spokes to build new wheels.
    thanks for all the responses-- this is the route I will probably go--

train safe-

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    thanks for all the responses-- this is the route I will probably go--

train safe-
    Get those hubs checked out first. I have normally found that I can buy handbuilt wheels cheaper than rebuilding old wheels. And a 13 year old hub may be coming to the end of its life. Just get the old wheels retrued and retensioned and keep them as spares.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan