User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hyrdrocele question

Ihad an mri to test for a hernia it said I have a hydrocele instead has anyone else had one does cycling cause it

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea what it was, so I looked it up on Google. This is what I found. Doesn't sound like it could be caused by cycling!

Definition

A hydrocele is a fluid-filled sac surrounding a testicle that results in swelling of the scrotum, the loose bag of skin underneath the penis. About one in 10 male infants has a hydrocele at birth, but most hydroceles disappear without treatment within the first year of life.

Additionally, men — usually older than 40 — can develop a hydrocele due to inflammation or injury within the scrotum.

Hydroceles usually aren't painful. Typically not harmful, hydroceles may require no treatment.

However, if you have scrotal swelling, see your doctor to rule out other causes, such as testicular cancer or other conditions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one. It might have been caused by bicycling because I got the hydrocele six months after I got my first bicycle... at age 6.

But I doubt it.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

mud
    My Bikes
    07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had one for the last eight months. I've had no injuries, the doctor had no explanation, the decision to repair was left up to me. It's only occasionally uncomfortable when I wear tight jeans or spandex. I intentionally waited until winter to get it taken care of, did not want to miss any time off the bike during warm weather.
    I'm not old! I've always been wrinkled, balding with a spare tire.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I had no idea what it was, so I looked it up on Google. This is what I found. Doesn't sound like it could be caused by cycling!

Additionally, men usually older than 40 can develop a hydrocele due to inflammation or injury within the scrotum.
    That certainly could be caused by cycling.

In my case, I'm pretty sure it wasn't (or, rather, they weren't)...I hadn't ridden a bike in twenty-five years or so when the problem(s) occurred. Mine seemed to be connected with inguinal hernias (or at least they were coincident in time), and were repaired during the same surgeries. I had the conditions (both hernia and hydrocele) on both left and right sides...fixed one side, and then, several months later, the other side did the same thing.
    Last edited by deraltekluge; 12-01-08 at 10:09 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input..I am going to see a urologist this week..I think the hydrocele may be a coincidental situation discovered in my MRI--it is on the side of my intermittent pain-but my testicles are not swollen or filled with fluid-I will see what the DR. says--the sports DR. I am seeing put me on anti-inflamitory pills for 10 days--it is winter but I have not been able to ride consistently since mid-Sept when this started--I am getting a bit cranky

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urologist gave me an exam and said I have a strain and inflamation in the cord leading up to my right testicle. And separately an irritated prostate which he said could easily be from excessive cycling...
    So I need to rest and take an anti-inflamatory and ease back into cycling..the hydrocele shown on the MRI was minor and not the cause of my discomfort--he checked that phyiscally--I hope he is right