Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Do You Have 50+ A R S? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/491203-do-you-have-50-r-s.html)

DnvrFox 12-02-08 08:12 AM

Do You Have 50+ A R S?

Do you have 50+ ARS? - err, that is

Automatic Response Syndrome?

Sometimes I see a post, and I know that I will automatically respond, almost with the same words which which I responded last time. It is as if I have a "macro" key that I push for the words.

One of the statements to which I have an automatic, predictabale response is:

"I am 52, and I am so old."

I won't even post my response - you all know what it is.

Another statment to which I have an automatic response is:

"I don't think anyone should ever ride on MUPS."

Again, I won't post my response, as you already know what it is.

So, do you have an automatic response to certain statement(s) that are posted? What statements provoke 50+ ARS in you?

maddmaxx 12-02-08 08:37 AM

Your poll doesn't have the proper responses.

Rick@OCRR 12-02-08 08:37 AM

No Denver,

I don't think I suffer from ARS. While you do have a valid point, i.e. several of the same themes are repeated on the 50+ forum, I find enough variety here to keep it interesting enough not to invoke an automatic response.

Whenever someone completes their first century, though, I am inclined to respond: "Centuries are great training for double centuries!" But usually I don't.

Rick / OCRR

DnvrFox 12-02-08 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 7949478)
Your poll doesn't have the proper responses.

:roflmao:

maddmaxx 12-02-08 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 7949517)
:roflmao:

That was a true automatic response.........sprang unbidden from the hands without thought...:roflmao2:

maddmaxx 12-02-08 09:01 AM

Truethfully however, I find that there are fewer automatic responses of the sort Dnvr is speaking about here in 50+. I think, that when new posters take the time to thoughtfully ask a question, that a response is not totally out of order. This applies even if I remember answering a similar question a few months ago. There has been a disturbing trend lately on the mechanics forum to just automatically send questions to the search function. While this may be proper in some cases, it just seems rude to me. If your looking at the posts, and have a little time (you are here after all, not out riding) it takes very little effort to pass along a little help to others. In fact, some of my repeat answers are better than the originals as I have had more time to consider what I wrote back then.

Lately, I have been trying to do more than just answer a question. Instead I try to give some reason why that answer seem appropriate.

Hermes 12-02-08 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 7949612)
Truethfully however, I find that there are fewer automatic responses of the sort Dnvr is speaking about here in 50+. I think, that when new posters take the time to thoughtfully ask a question, that a response is not totally out of order. This applies even if I remember answering a similar question a few months ago. There has been a disturbing trend lately on the mechanics forum to just automatically send questions to the search function. While this may be proper in some cases, it just seems rude to me. If your looking at the posts, and have a little time (you are here after all, not out riding) it takes very little effort to pass along a little help to others. In fact, some of my repeat answers are better than the originals as I have had more time to consider what I wrote back then.

Lately, I have been trying to do more than just answer a question. Instead I try to give some reason why that answer seem appropriate.

Are referrals okay? I was going to refer the changing chain rings to you since OP was looking for responses from "old timers" but you had already responded and I do not qualify.:D

stapfam 12-02-08 10:31 AM

Ought to have a key for typing in one response "What!!!! No PIE"

maddmaxx 12-02-08 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 7949929)
Are referrals okay? I was going to refer the changing chain rings to you since OP was looking for responses from "old timers" but you had already responded and I do not qualify.:D

Yea, but I got it wrong.....:twitchy:

Roody 12-02-08 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 7949374)
So, do you have an automatic response to certain statement(s) that are posted? What statements provoke 50+ ARS in you?

"The weather is too bad for riding."

(That's on all the forums, not this one in particular.)

Tom Bombadil 12-02-08 11:48 AM

I think a recumbent would solve all of your problems, DnvrFox.

Louis 12-02-08 02:04 PM

I don't think so.

I do, however, have a tendency to come off as a smart ass even though I'm only trying to throw out some yuks.

I'm guessing the most used ARS is "The search feature is you friend".

Artkansas 12-02-08 02:22 PM

My ARS is to decide that responding isn't worth my time, so I don't.

gcottay 12-02-08 02:43 PM

RTFM

Usually self-stifled and the "F" is, of course, is the initial letter of "Friendly."

Jet Travis 12-02-08 02:53 PM

Whatever the question, the answer is some combination of Merino wool, a Brooks saddle, lower gearing and/or shaved legs.

Digital Gee 12-02-08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 7951478)
Whatever the question, the answer is some combination of Merino wool, a Brooks saddle, lower gearing and/or shaved legs.

You forgot one. Proper fit is most important. :)

NOS88 12-02-08 04:03 PM

I suffer from ARS. Fortunatley, I don't post most of my automatic responses. I try to keep them to myself. Afterall, I do want to be welcome here.

Floyd 12-02-08 04:55 PM

No automatic responses...I am not a regular poster, but do check most days,,,to see if there is a post that I can add something to constructively. ... ... ... ... ...

The Weak Link 12-02-08 05:24 PM

Zen. Practice zen. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff.

Give. Live. Love.

And if the poster really gets on your nerves, hope he shows up at Glenwood Springs next year, catch him unawares, and zod wallup him.

JanMM 12-02-08 06:26 PM

Time to start looking into recumbents.

BluesDawg 12-02-08 09:01 PM

This looks like the kind of thread that would be started by some old guy who rides on MUPs. ;)

maddmaxx 12-03-08 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7953675)
This looks like the kind of thread that would be started by some old guy who rides on MUPs. ;)

-:eek:-

The Weak Link 12-03-08 03:23 PM

BTW, BikeSnob is ragging on violence among recumbent riders. It gets ugly in a hurry. Check it out.

qcpmsame 12-04-08 11:44 AM

I have to fight my urges to just post a standard answer to the many inane comments some people make. No sense getting upset over typed words, its just the internet and life is far too short to let a forum get me down. The people in 50+ keep me up as we seem to be, by and large , a pretty level headed group.

Bill