Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-02-08, 04:49 PM   #1
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Linear,
How much leaway?

Was going from one place to another last night and the car in front of me went over into the other lane and I was wondering why...then I saw the reflectors and lights and reflective tape on the legs of a bike rider. SO I too went completely into the other (passing) lane. so the question is when you are in your 4-wheeled vehicle, how much do you move over for us friendly bike riders.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 04:51 PM   #2
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Same as you did.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 05:22 PM   #3
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Three feet is the minimum in many states. But I always give at least 5 feet -- and more if there's room on the road.

And Jesus looking upon them saith, "With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 05:27 PM   #4
staehpj1 

Bikes:
I give them the same room I would expect and that depends on the situation. The range is from 3' to the whole lane.

It kind of ticks me off when folks go across the double yellow lines with all four wheels when there is room enough to pass by just hugging or putting two wheels on the line. It is especially bad when they are doing it on a blind curve or take their time moving back over when meeting oncoming traffic.

Then there are the folks who brush against you...

With one lane going each way and a double yellow, I would like to see folks allow 3-5' depending on the situation, so that is what I do. When there are two lanes either moving to the other lane or allowing 3-5' while sharing the lane is OK with me so again that is what I do.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 05:40 PM   #5
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
3'. It's the law here.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 07:58 PM   #6
bobbycorno

Bikes:
If I can, I give 'em the whole lane. Whether they insist or not.

SP
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 08:35 PM   #7
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
I, too, think it is nuts when a driver will go completely into the opposite lane (across double yellow lines) to pass me. Sometimes those folks will back up traffic behind me because that are afraid to pass bikes with "only" a few feet of clearance. 3-5 ft. is fine.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 07:45 AM   #8
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Minimum three or four feet, more if the rider seems wobbly or the road is wet.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 08:30 AM   #9
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0
minimum of 3 feet here in Georgia is the law. I give the whole lane. I was 'brushed' by a driver in October and spent the night in the trauma unit. not pretty. I encourage everyone I meet to give more room to the bikes. who knows what pot hole/road debris/glass bottle they will have to dodge just as you go to pass them. I get brushed and honked at by drivers all the time and it really scares me. I have changed my route through some bad areas. One in particular is the School Zone where I got brushed off my bike in October. Worst traffic setup I have ever seen and in Atlanta that's saying something. Screamingly bad road engineering down here. I have my suspicions about that (way too much cronyism in the road business here and no one willing to pay for better roads.). Oh and you can report bad drivers. The state may not do anything directly but if the driver ever gets caught the report is in their record.
bikegeek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:06 AM   #10
NOS88

Bikes:
I always give at least the three feet. If I find that three or four feet is all I can give, I also slow down considerably. I want to be able to apply appropriate evasive actions should they be necessary. I rarely go completely into the other lane. I've actually thought about trying to get a horn built that in addition to the normal beep, had a special button that if pushed said, "On your left."
Old 12-03-08, 09:40 AM   #11
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
I would feel uncomfortable giving only 3 feet. I give a half lane or more. Unless they're on the centerline, of course, then I can only move over as far as the next lane.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 10:02 AM   #12
staehpj1 

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
I would feel uncomfortable giving only 3 feet.
There are places here where that often would mean waiting a long time to pass and really ticking off drivers. I'd rather someone pass me at 3' and a reasonable speed for the conditions than drive behind me for any distance.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 10:17 AM   #13
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
There are places here where that often would mean waiting a long time to pass and really ticking off drivers. I'd rather someone pass me at 3' and a reasonable speed for the conditions than drive behind me for any distance.
Yes, the people who speed up to pass cyclists are pretty annoying and dangerous, too.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:30 PM   #14
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
At least 3 feet, more if it's safe for both of us, and I wave once I pass.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:48 PM   #15
VolGirl

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Yes, the people who speed up to pass cyclists are pretty annoying and dangerous, too.
I'll often, depending on route, ride through a pair of school zones. I'll ride over the 15 mph limit just to see how many cars just HAVE to pass me.
VolGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:55 PM   #16
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
I always give horses and cyclists as much room as possible- I never know what funny things they will get up to.

There is a hill in a town closeby and there is a sign advising motorists to give cyclists 5ft clearance. I use that hill in the car quite often as a shortcut but I have never seen a Cyclist on the hill.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 07:14 PM   #17
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
When I am on my bike I like to hear the car tires thumping on the reflectors in the center of the road. When I hear that behind me I know they are giving me plenty of space. When I am in my truck I always cross slightly into the other lane if traffic permits and if not I will hug the center line. The noise I dread the worst is the big tires on the jacked up 4-wheel drive trucks. For some reason they give me the least room of all.
RoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 08:02 AM   #18
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek57 View Post
minimum of 3 feet here in Georgia is the law.
This is news to me. When did this happen? I know there has been some effort to get a bill introduced, but I was not aware of anything being voted on or enacted.

Back to the original question, I give as much room as is safe and practical. Giving a whole lane is often neither.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 09:58 AM   #19
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Quote:
minimum of 3 feet here in Georgia is the law. ...
... as it should be everywhere.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 06:19 AM   #20
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
This is news to me. When did this happen? I know there has been some effort to get a bill introduced, but I was not aware of anything being voted on or enacted.

Back to the original question, I give as much room as is safe and practical. Giving a whole lane is often neither.
Not sure when this went into effect:

http://www.georgiabikes.org/Portals/...G%20052306.pdf

pages 7-8
bikegeek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 06:37 AM   #21
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quote:
Not sure when this went into effect:

http://www.georgiabikes.org/Portals/...G%20052306.pdf

pages 7-8
There is reference to a recommendation on page 8, but this is not a law. It is a suggestion - not enforceable.

"Since the recommended minimum clearance for
passing a bicyclist (at moderate speed) is 3 feet
[Governorís Office of Highway Safety and Georgia
DOT, Georgia Bike Sense Guide] and the total width
of larger motor vehicles (with extending mirrors) is
commonly 8 feet or more, a lane with less than 14
feet of usable width is usually too narrow for motor
traffic to pass."

I am very aware of this booklet. My club received many copies of it from Georgia Bikes!
and we have distributed them to law enforcement personnel and to cyclists in our city and county. I have had many conversations with the officers of that organization about efforts to get a safe passage law introduced and passed in Georgia, but no such law exists at present. I certainly agree that it should, but unfortunately, it does not.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote