Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shock or surprise?

I'm either in for a nasty shock or a pleasant surprise in a few weeks time.

I wandered into my lbs yesterday and asked for a price on a Brooks B17. Only one shop in Adelaide stocks them (and then only as a token) and they have a B17 for $159. ChainReaction have always been the best value internet shop for the Brooks and, landed on my doorstep, it was going to cost about $130 ... which stinks because the last one I bought cost me $90 from them.

So I thought I'd try my lbs. He ran his supplier, and got a price of $110 So I ordered it on the spot. Trouble is, they're out of stock but the next batch is due in a few weeks (at Christmas time, yeah, right, I'll believe that when it happens). Naturally, the price will depend on the pricing on the new shipment and with the Aussie Peso taking diving lessons at the moment

So, what will I wind up paying for this saddle? $110 ? $210 ?
    We can only wait and see.

Incidentally, I'll pay whatever he charges - this year, the poor bloke has spent far too much time trying to source obscure products that prove not to be available in this country and deserves some return on his time and effort. I asked about ten items yesterday, one he had on the shelf, another was the Brooks and the third comes from a distibutor notorious for lies, distortions and failing to fill orders they've happily accepted, the other seven items will all be sourced over the internet.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do hope that your suprise is a pleasant one and it is not and "out of this world" price. On the other hand as some would say...you get what you pay for. You have to pay for quality.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks prices seem to keep inching up, at least over the past couple of years. They also hold their value really well so you don't save a ton of money buying them used on eBay (at least in my experience).

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay prices have become ridiculous here in Australia, too.

Trouble is, I am lusting after a Ti Swallow, and that comes in around AUD$400 from chainreactioncycles with freight. If I add another $300-odd in other orders, the shipping to Australia is free, though. Now if only they would get in their new stocks of Mavic Open Pro rims... that would up the ante a bit closer to that freight-free threshhold.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Trouble is, I am lusting after a Ti Swallow.
    The one "deal" I found on a used Brooks was a Ti Swift. I bought it from a seller in the UK; paid $200 US about a year ago...I think they are well over $300 US now new. It's a very nice looking saddle, but strangely did not make me significantly faster, smarter or younger.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    It's a very nice looking saddle, but strangely did not make me significantly faster, smarter or younger.
    Tilt the nose up one click

Richard

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Tilt the nose up one click

Richard
    and then
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    raleigh,trike x,puch mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk

b-17 = 35 lbs

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/m/Cycle/7/Brooks_Saddles/

93.77 austrailian

it has gotten to the point where we in The US can now shop cheaper over the ocean than at home.

I just ordered 3 brooks tool bags from wiggle for $150 from wiggle (christmas) and because it was more than 100 lbs got free shipping via air and a10 percent discount for the 150 net! Can't touch them in the US for less than 80 per. BTW 2 of the colors I ordered were nis and backordered and they shipped 1 day later !!!

even proofide was only 10 dollars its 24 on e bay!
    It's Not the destination, It's the Ride.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisin View Post
    b-17 = 35 lbs
    I'd have sworn they only weighed 29 pounds.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Glad to be 'bent
    My Bikes
    Radius C4 LWB USS & TW Actionbents trike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe that the Aussie dollar is sinking faster than the British pound. Our currency is behaving like a bucket of bricks dropped out of a second floor window.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xpc316e View Post
    I can't believe that the Aussie dollar is sinking faster than the British pound. Our currency is behaving like a bucket of bricks dropped out of a second floor window.
    I'm going back to £SD. Never had these problems pre- decimal

And with the £ being worth not a lot- Must be a chance for some cheap bargains to be had.(If you pay in $'s)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    raleigh,trike x,puch mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I'd have sworn they only weighed 29 pounds.
    Ain't got one a them fancy "L's" on me keyboard ,least i can find. but i figured even a wisconsin native could figure out the pound ab. LOL.
    It's Not the destination, It's the Ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a used B17 and it only weighs a pound or two. Is gravity stronger upside down in Australia? Oh, wait a second . . .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I got my new Brooks
    It cost me $109.95

Man, what a bargain. More to the point, she went on the bike and felt immediately comfy - a bit hard in the nose where it rubs on your inner thighs so I'll have a bit of strife there for awhile but at the back, I'm sitting pretty and feeling good.

Another winner

Incidentally, what is it with Brooks and what they provide with their saddles? My first B17 came with nothing so I bought a spanner and maintenance kit, my B72 came with the spanner, a can of Proofide and the polishing cloth and this B17 came with the spanner and the inhouse magazine. Do NOT buy accessories for these saddles until you have them in your hot little hands.

On that same note, does anyone in Adelaide want a Brooks adjusting spanner? I've now got three of the things and even I'm going to have trouble losing all three.

Richard

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    On that same note, does anyone in Adelaide want a Brooks adjusting spanner? I've now got three of the things and even I'm going to have trouble losing all three.

Richard
    Do not get rid of the spanners. As soon as you do- You will start losing the memory and won't be able to find the first two.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [

\a bit hard in the nose where it rubs on your inner thighs so I'll have a bit of strife there for awhile but at the back, I'm sitting pretty and feeling good.[/quote]

Simple. Rub some Proofide onto your crotch. (Silly buggers don't follow the directions on the can.)
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.