Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The amazing variations:

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The amazing variations:

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 02:11 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench

I suppose we also have 50+ members who listen to rock and those who listen to classical. But what do recumbent riders listen to? Free form jazz?
The stereotypical bentrider is Old, Rotund and adorned with a Gray Beard. The stereotypical bent music is yet to be set. Laid Back has been suggested. As a teen, I was the second trumpet player in a band that did nothing but songs by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. That's pretty Laid Back. Certainly not the music of the Youth Rebellion.
Old 12-04-08, 02:38 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the past few years I'm been a changing from classic 70's rock to blues. Just can't get enough of dem blues, from BB to Maria Muldor to early Zep, love it all. My 24 yr old son has been raiding my collection of rock inculding the vinyl LP's. What's new is old and what's old is new!
Old 12-04-08, 02:50 PM
Gray Haired Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Frank Zappa rules. .
So what's the ugliest part of your body?
Old 12-04-08, 03:04 PM
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Confession: My musical guilty pleasures include PP&M,
Likewise. I once played a game of H-O-R-S-E with Mary. They played the Loyola Field HOuse in New Orleans every year and I was the student-manager for the basketball team. I had to let them in for set up. Mary saw a rack of basketballs and next thing I knew, we were shooting hoops! Very cool.

My musical taste are VERY wide ranging. On my Zune you will find Zappa, The Berlin Philharmonic, George Straight, three hours worth of Led Zepplin, and even a little Eminem. But you reminded me of someone I haven't listened to in decades. I'm going to have to see if Rhapsody has some Tom Leher:

Egypt's going to get one too
Just to drop on you know who
So Israel's getting tense
Wants one in self defense
The Lord's our Sheppard says the psalm
But just in case, we're gonna get The Bomb!!!
Old 12-04-08, 03:31 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know if you have them over there but certain UK bands still get me.

One of which is "Status Quo" and although they have been performing for 40 years now-They seem to have improved over the years.

I used to play in a Rock group and my likes in music changed over the years. At one time I changed over to Folk Music and got regular bookings on the folk club circuit. But I am afraid that now my Music of choice has gone back to the "Blues".

So the I-Pod now has 4 hours of Status Quo- Blues with John Lee Hooker being the main artist and a bit of Classical.

But the music event of my life- wasn't there but have the music running through me. Woodstock. and one artist that I always had a problem understanding. Joe Cocker will never be the same after watching this link

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_MsrsKzMM

Spike Milligan
Old 12-04-08, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
Wasn't then, but am now. My 21 year-old daughter is a second generation folk fan. More like Tom Paxton, Pete Seeger, and Phil Ochs.
Phil Ochs! What a tragic genius. He appeared at a club called The Troubador some months before his suicide and came on stage so drunk he couldn't perform. He smashed his drink on the stage and stomped off. I thought he wrote some great stuff, including "The Scorpion Departs, But Never Returns". Once a roommate of Bob Dylan.
Old 12-04-08, 04:50 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I suppose we also have 50+ members who listen to rock and those who listen to classical.
The truck-driving woman (actually currently a dispatcher, but still has her CDL and all her endorsements) here does both. And actually rented a house once simply because it was on a street bearing the name of her favorite composer.
Old 12-04-08, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dclaryjr
I once played a game of H-O-R-S-E with Mary.
That is seriously cool. I trust you whipped her. If I recall, she didn't seem like the athletic type.
Old 12-04-08, 06:17 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Frank Zappa rules. I recently played "I'm so cute" for my 17 y/o son and he ran screaming from the room threatening to report my ever-expanding derriere to child protective services.
you should have introduced him to Catholic Girls - perfect song for a 17 yo boy.
Old 12-04-08, 08:05 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't know if you have them over there but certain UK bands still get me.

One of which is "Status Quo" and although they have been performing for 40 years now-They seem to have improved over the years.

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_MsrsKzMM
All most of us over here know of Status Quo is Pictures of Matchstick Men.
Old 12-04-08, 09:43 PM
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
That is seriously cool. I trust you whipped her. If I recall, she didn't seem like the athletic type.
Hell, yes!

BTW, she traveled with more shoes than Imelda Marcos!
Old 12-04-08, 09:48 PM
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Over the past few years I'm been a changing from classic 70's rock to blues. Just can't get enough of dem blues, from BB to Maria Muldor to early Zep, love it all. My 24 yr old son has been raiding my collection of rock inculding the vinyl LP's. What's new is old and what's old is new!
I have four grandkids, two of whom basically live with me, and the other two are here quite often. Their friends think I'm cool because I know the words to some Eminem songs, but I couldn't get the kids to appreciate my classic rock.

Then came Guitar Hero.

My grandkids now rock!!!!
Old 12-04-08, 09:59 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Tandemistas?
Old 12-04-08, 10:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And we have some of us old enough to be others of us fathers (or mothers)!
Old 12-05-08, 05:01 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
^^^^^
And as proof of our diversity, I present you with this thread..............
Old 12-05-08, 06:31 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And we have some of us old enough to be others of us fathers (or mothers)!
Yet young enough to still be children.
Old 12-05-08, 07:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently went through my album collection, which I retrieved from storage. I worked in a record shop for three years right out of high school so my collection, while not large, is as eclectic as this forum. Anybody remember Tonton Macoute (no, not the Haitian secret police, the album)? They only made one record. It's awesome. How about Rare Bird? I have an original British pressing of "Two Virgins" with John and Yoko butt naked on the cover (man, I'm glad they sold that with an oversleeve).

The irony is that after looking over my collection I realized that there's no way for me to listen to it. I don't have a turntable.
Old 12-05-08, 08:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I recently went through my CD collection, moving it to a new storage cabinet. I found that my estimates have been very low, I have over 700 CDs.

The largest category is rock, with blues making a strong second place. Jazz, bluegrass and old time country (not the Nashville noise) and comedy are other categories represented.

Artists/bands with several CDs in my collection are The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, John Hiatt, Van Morrison, Buddy Guy, James Cotton, R.E.M., Allman Brothers, Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Robert Cray, Keb' Mo', Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and many more.
Old 12-05-08, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rideon7
Recently went through my album collection, which I retrieved from storage. I worked in a record shop for three years right out of high school so my collection, while not large, is as eclectic as this forum. Anybody remember Tonton Macoute (no, not the Haitian secret police, the album)? They only made one record. It's awesome. How about Rare Bird? I have an original British pressing of "Two Virgins" with John and Yoko butt naked on the cover (man, I'm glad they sold that with an oversleeve).

The irony is that after looking over my collection I realized that there's no way for me to listen to it. I don't have a turntable.
If I found a copy of "Two Virgins" I would be glad I had no turntable.
Old 12-05-08, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I saw them at UCLA in 1971 when they sang with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. They performed for 3 1/2 hours without a break and closed with "Happy Together" which about brought the house down. This is when they made the album "Just Another Band From L.A."
That was an interesting era at UCLA. You would have seen John Wooden and those wonderful basketball teams. Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton. The campus unrest in 1970 with Mayor Sam Yorty ordering the police to quell the student riot on Cinco De Mayo.
Old 12-05-08, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I recently went through my CD collection, moving it to a new storage cabinet. I found that my estimates have been very low, I have over 700 CDs.

The largest category is rock, with blues making a strong second place. Jazz, bluegrass and old time country (not the Nashville noise) and comedy are other categories represented.

Artists/bands with several CDs in my collection are The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, John Hiatt, Van Morrison, Buddy Guy, James Cotton, R.E.M., Allman Brothers, Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Robert Cray, Keb' Mo', Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and many more.
You might appreciate the joke my son (an aspiring guitarist) shared with me yesterday.

How many guitarist does it take to cover Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Apparently all of them.
Old 12-05-08, 11:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If I found a copy of "Two Virgins" I would be glad I had no turntable.
Yeah, I still can't remember what the music was like on that album. Fact is, I can't even remember if there *was* music on that album.
Old 12-06-08, 06:53 AM
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have around 200 LPs, most that have been played five times or less because I recorded them all to tape (open reel) back in the 70s. A couple years ago I bought a a turn table from Radio Shack that has an internal amp, and I ran it straight to my sound card to capture a bunch of them as mp3s. Now you can buy turntables that will connect via USB.
Old 12-06-08, 07:17 AM

Yeah, I still can't remember what the music was like on that album. Fact is, I can't even remember if there *was* music on that album.

I still cringe whenever I'm reminded of the "Plastic Ono Band". I mean, John Lennon was great, a legend, but that noise that came out of Yoko was....I don't know the words to describe it.

I still have a Garrard SL125 turntable and if I move a bunch of my girlfriends stuff, I can get to my LPs.
Got some Jeff Beck, Cream, American Flag and their spinoff The Fabulous Rhinestones, 2 Jews Blues, Super Session, Dave Mason, Traffic, David Crosby, Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, Procal Harum, Allman Bros, and some Jazz, too.
Old 12-06-08, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Bill Evans Solo Sessions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.