Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross training on Spinner

HI,
    When I do my weight training at the Gymn , I try to do 30 mins of hard work on a spinner bike,
    How do you measure training hard on a spinner for 30 min.s
    Its says I went 16 miles, Revs are 90-110 and talk about sweat..
    My legs feel used abit after that short ride, does it help train your legs.
    I normally ride 23-32 miles a day , after spinning 20 mins I do a Nautilus circuit with hard leg training reps
    but light on upper body.
    Doug

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gym training in general is good for the cross training. But so is going for a brisk 5 mile walk- digging the garden and hoovering the lounge. Only thing is that at the gym- you will work harder. You will work just as hard on a bike going up a 2 mile 10% hill than at a gym aswell.

Now a Spinning class at the gym will emulate going for a hard ride. Not as enjoyable but you will work and you will sweat. My only problem with it is- it only works the muscles and body parts that you would normally work on a bike ride. To keep in "Better" fitness for riding- you do have to work the rest of the body so that it does not deteriorate. And this is where the Gym does have an advantage. You can use a Cross trainer to work the upper body- the rowing machine to work the abdomen- and other torture machines that work the rest of the body.

I do manage to get to the gym for about 2 months of the year and I do the cross training on 5 or 6 machines that work different parts of the body. It may be still mainly cardio-vascular and legs that are worked- but the legs are worked in a different way to build up different leg muscles- and it is not often that I can get the HR up to 95% for as long as I do at the gym.

But other than the 45 minute spinning class once a week- I limit bike work to just 10 minutes at a time. 10 hard minutes up a variable hill at a fast pace. I just do a hard workout and have to admit that 10 minutes on the bike- coupled with the other 50 minutes or so on the other machines- will do more for my fitness than a 4 hour or so ride at the weekends. It just is not as enjoyable.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    HI,
    When I do my weight training at the Gymn , I try to do 30 mins of hard work on a spinner bike,
    Doug
    I would call it 30 minutes of hard work on a spinner bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    Doug
    Heart rate monitor?

Perceived exertion?

Talking test?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    Its says I went 16 miles, Revs are 90-110 and talk about sweat..
    My legs feel used abit after that short ride, does it help train your legs.
    I normally ride 23-32 miles a day , after spinning 20 mins I do a Nautilus circuit with hard leg training reps
    but light on upper body.
    Doug
    I use Heart Zone Training workouts with a HRM. That's the only way I know to actually quantify your workout so that you know it's doing some good. They have, I think, 30+ workouts; most are in the 45-minute to 1-hour range (with warm-up and warm-down). Workouts vary in intensity and give a good variety. I had a couple of my best racing seasons from a fitness standpoint when I adhered to it religiously all winter.