Thread: Prostates?

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prostates?

I hate bringing up the subject, but the urologist said I have an irritated prostate, which could have been caused by excessive bike riding. I am not sure he is right. I read old posts on the subject which talked about
    different saddles, drinking less coffee, eating less spicy food, taking saw palmetto, taking hot baths, and having more sex as a treatments. I certainly am all for the last treatment-not sure about my wife though.
    My situation is a non-bacterial type-so basically my DR. ruled out everything else based on my PSA, urine tests and MRI's on stomach and pelvis. My question is--for anyone who had a similar problem --is what did the pain or discomfort feel like and where was it located ? My discomfort is in my lower abdomen or groin area-it is not constant and not a sharp pain--it does appear to get worse a few days after exercising-I have been resting on and off for a few months-Also, sometimes when I stand along time -I get some pain. Because they check the prostate from the back-I thought that"s where the pain should be--mine is in the front--
    Has anyone else out there--"felt my pain"?

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try another doctor.
    Sounds like a bad disc in your lower spine.
    Did you have a MRI?
    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-09-08 at 06:02 AM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like part of your symptoms are typical tight hip flexors - pain in groin area after exercising and standing. Try stretching.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Try another doctor.
    +1

My doc says cycling is the best thing I can do for overall health. He's also a cyclist and rides to work 3 days a week. Same with my sports med doc.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not sound like Prostate . Unless the PSA count is high and you have the normal problems associated with it.

And from my Surgeon-- Cycling and any other form of exercise will not cause a prostate problem. Age and bad luck cause the problem.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

The Netherlands - flat and windy that is.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what when using a bad saddle? I do experience some vague pain in the piraeneum area after a half 'n hour on the trainer on a sh%%%5t saddle it's feeling as if being kicked in the groin - sort of.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My urologist was not knocking cycling for exercise..he was stating it was possible
    for it to cause prostate irritation..I did a lot of my cycling on a stationary bike at
    my gym which had a big wide hard saddle. My bike has a Specialized male-specific
    saddle that is probably ok. I was just wondering if anyone that had talked of prostate
    pain before felt it in the groin like I do.. Yes, I had 2 MRI's -stomach and pelvic and
    my PSA levels are low--I can live with and treat an irriatated prostate-as long as I know
    that is what it is..

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vsopking View Post
    And what when using a bad saddle? I do experience some vague pain in the piraeneum area after a half 'n hour on the trainer on a sh%%%5t saddle it's feeling as if being kicked in the groin - sort of.
    I have had exactly one saddle, a narrow padded Marin, which caused me pain in the perineal area. I have had good luck with traditional tensioned leather saddles and my Serfas ARC saddle, which has a pressure-relieving depression on top.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix Apex, Cannondale T2000, Cannondale Rize, Stumpjumper M5 Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bad flare-up of non bacterial prostatitis a year ago that I believe was precipitatedand/or exacerbated by some very long rides I did at the end of the season in November (2007). About 1-2 weeks later the pain started and my PSA was up from 2.5 to 5. Within another month it had gone up over 10 so they did a biopsy - no cancer but a lot of inflammation. By then I had virtually stopped biking (except 30 min on the trainer a couple times/week). I did not want to accept that biking had anything to do with it but I started cutting back and only using the trainer occasionally.

It took several months to get rid of the dull pain and for the PSA to come back down. Antibiotics help short term from the anti-inflammatory effect but are not the cure since there is no bacterial infection.The pain moved around - from my butt to the groin area (under my balls). Sometimes sitting was very painful, as were certain types of car seats/suspension. I gave up most biking, spicy foods, and even my beloved espresso maker (waaa) to make the pain go away, and started getting serious about hydration, diet, supplements (Saw Palmetto, Quercetin, fish oil) and even relaxation exercises for stress (helps).

To try and make a long, complicated story short - I can't ride road bikes anymore without pain. If I ride one of my road bikes for an hour or more I get pain a day or two later and it takes several days to completely go away. I have tried every combination of frame material, saddle type and bar position imaginable - to no avail. I think it's a combination of seating position, buzz from the asphalt and the pre-sensitized perineal/prostate area. The hardest part will be giving up touring. The good news is I can ride my full susp mtn bike a couple of times a month with no issues because I stand more and the long-travel susp is very plush.

A lot of guys seem to advocate sticking with cycling, even if they get occasional flare-ups or have to use antibiotics - personally I think that's crazy. I hate pain like this, don't like that it is an internal organ that is affected, and don't like inflammation. I have read some articles that associate chronic prostatitis to eventual cancer and I would rather not go down that road any sooner than necessary. So for me it isn't worth it to keep at something that may be causing my prostate to remain inflamed. Instead I'm hiking, going to the gym and plan to keep up the occasional mtn bike ride.

Wish you the best - it's nothing to fool around with.
    Last edited by mtnroads; 12-09-08 at 08:47 PM.
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc, Cannondale T2000 (touring), Stumpjumper M5 (Mtn - hardtail), Cannondale Rize4 (Mtn - full susp)

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a wider saddle. I had a couple instances of prostatitis after long hilly centuries. I switched to a 153mm Specialized Toupe and have since made some long rides (up to 129 miles) without an issue.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mtnroads--thank you for your input--my PSA levels were .2 a year ago and the same last week--
    If I have non-bacterial prostatitis I certainly have a milder case then you did. I finished the anti-inflamatories, I cut down to 1 cup of coffee a day and have cut out spicy food. I plan on trying the elliptical trainer at the gym and going for a short ride this weekend to see how I feel. My pain is never near my butt--it is always in my groin area--and it is not constant--I have had 3 doctors test me for hernias and the MRI showed no hernia--I just wish I knew what was wrong with me for sure-so I could treat it and move on--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't really pain. It was more like discomfort that for at least part of the day, was a noticeable bother. Sitting for any length of time was uncomfortable. Felt like I had a little golf ball, right in there. Sex got real sketchy, and going pee was a big problem, every time you went. Not fun, but not pain. Maybe a pain in the neck.

Various seats helped, but nothing eliminated it. So, I gave up biking for a few years. Until one day, I got a good look at a LWB recumbent. A month later, I had one in my garage. Been doing 2500 miles/year ever since. For many of my friends, finding the right seat did the trick. You'll have to look at lots of them and try a few. You do end up with a small collection of seats, but you should find the right one.

That's what it's like. Doesn't sound like you. bk
    Last edited by bkaapcke; 12-10-08 at 09:30 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bk
    my situation is more of a discomfort too
    does feel like a golf ball sometimes near just above the pubic bone in the front of me
    no problems peeing yet..
    at then end of the day sometimes it bothers me standing for a length of time
    I am glad the recumbent worked out for you --
    I am not ready to give up biking so that may be a future alternative for me
    augie

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alentric,
    You have done the right things so far by getting a biopsy. Now you know what you have and can deal with it. I don't think that there is any magic seat for all of us. Some folks find one that works good for them, I have 8 or 10 in the garage and swap them around once in awhile.
    I am in the middle of a 9 week radiation treatment for Prostate Cancer. Yesterday my Dr. said that I had to quit riding for at least a month due to the onset of Prostatitis. That really bummed me out. I have been riding my normal 35 mi/day 4 or 5 days each week with no problems at all. Then two weeks ago I began to feel rotten with pain everywhere: butt, head, front, etc. After a heavy duty assault of antibiotics the infection is gone but not all of the discomfort. Obviously, my case is different from yours but the prostatitas part is similar. That term seems to be a catch all for lots of different symptoms. The treatments for this condition seem to be all over the page as well. So, to answer your question, lots of us have felt your pain.
    Best of luck for your healing.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A poor fitting saddle will irritate the body and I suppose possibly the Prostate.

After the Prostacetomy- To cut a long story short- It took 6 tears for the prostate area to settle down/ OR for me to find a saddle that was comfortable. Lots of saddle purchases and lots of pain- but I persevered.

And it is not always the "Initial" comfy saddles that work. My saddles of choice are a San Marco Aero and a Flite Gel Max. Not the obviouis choices for comfort. And I did try a Brooks but gave up on it after a lot more Miles of pain than I gave any other saddle.

Spike Milligan

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an enlarged prostate and I've had above average PSA numbers. I've had three sets of biopsy results over a three year period, thankfully, all negative. During the last visit to my MD (urologist), I asked about bicycle riding and bicycle saddles and the effect on the prostate. He said that in his opinion, bicycle riding had no affect on the prostate, and that exercise was always good. I've heard similiar statements from my GP MD and an MD here on BF. Personally, I'm convinced that spicy food (bad), caffiene (bad) and very hot sits baths (good) have a greater effect on prostate health than bike riding. With all my prostate problems, I ride a saddle I find comfortable for me. As for prostate pain, despite all the problems I've had, I rarely have pain.
    I've had some bad experiences with MDs and I've learned that if an opinion doesn't sound correct, get another until you have two that are in agreement. I'd get a second opinion with regard to the OPs prostate concerns.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnroads View Post
    ... To try and make a long, complicated story short - I can't ride road bikes anymore without pain. ...
    You sound like a candidate for a recumbent bike.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it sounds like mtnroads is physically ready for a recumbent. Bents have a bad rap for climbing, but that's vs a road bike. IMHO the hills would have to get d@mned steep before a mountain bike would be faster than a good 'bent.

He may not be mentally ready for one yet, though. It is definitely a paradigm shift.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blazing pedals,
    I am not ready yet. BUt, I don't see many recumbents around. Who makes them? What do good entry level ones cost?--It seems like a major leap to just buy on. I don't recall seeing any in my LBS.
    Can you see in traffic? I live in a suburban area -Long Island.
    Thanks,
    Augie

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    You sound like a candidate for a recumbent bike.
    Thanks, John. I didn't want to be the one. <G>
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alentric View Post
    Blazing pedals,
    I am not ready yet. BUt, I don't see many recumbents around. Who makes them? What do good entry level ones cost?--It seems like a major leap to just buy on. I don't recall seeing any in my LBS.
    Can you see in traffic? I live in a suburban area -Long Island.
    Thanks,
    Augie

I'm not familiar with the NYC area, but you might contact these guys.

If you're interested enough to do some research, I recommend Bentrideronline.com and recumbents.com as two good resources. Recumbents.com has a nice buyer's guide section so you can see various brands. Virtually every bike shop in the country can order a Sun recumbent from their J&B catalog, although I consider them pretty low-end. There's no denying, 'bents are more expensive than their upright cousins. With few exceptions, anything under about $1500 is going to be a beginner bike.

If you're looking at this as a temporary thing, one bike that might work is a RANS Rocket, which you can often find used in lightly-used condition for $600-700. At that price, it's already depreciated, so you can resell it in a year or two and it won't cost much in the end.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like mtnroads is physically ready for a recumbent. Bents have a bad rap for climbing, but that's vs a road bike. IMHO the hills would have to get d@mned steep before a mountain bike would be faster than a good 'bent.

He may not be mentally ready for one yet, though. It is definitely a paradigm shift.
    Much as I am against Recumbents- I have to admit that there may be a case for them. I tried one and after a couple of hours decided they were not for me. But that was only one type of recumbent. There are so many different types of them that if I ever got to the stage that I could not ride a standard bike- Then it would take a long time to test all the different forms that are out there.

Spike Milligan

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No connection betwen chronic prostatitis and malignancy, Mtnroads.
    If you find your prostatitis flares up with biking, try a recumbent. You'll like it. Probably won't work for everybody but works for a lot.
    A couple summrs ago I ran across an old guy pedling down a MUP on a recumbent. I asked him how he liked it and he started right out by saying he had chronic prostatitis nd hadn't been able to ride a bike for 20 years despite trying evrything, and now he was able to ride as much as he wants.
    But like I say, its trial and error. Might work or might not!
    Recumbents climb just fine, by the way, assuming equal engines. Don't worry about that old myth.

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This saddle might also be worth considering:

http://mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20ne...FQyfnAodwlUJSQ

I sent them a Brooks B17 and had a cutout done. I already had the saddle so...I figured why not. Best thing I ever did. Brooks now markets a saddle w/ a cutout too. I never had issues when I was young but started to and this saddle did the trick.