Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's offically love

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It's offically love

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's offically love

Sorry... I forgot to use our unofficial rating system
This post contains content of no interest to anyone but me.
It's just more of my boring, serve-serving drivel.
I post solely to "hear the sound" of my own voice.
Apologies.

I'm funny this way...
Maybe it's just the stuff I buy or like to listen to but, if I buy a new CD and like it right off, then I will quickly get bored with it and soon forget I even own it. If I need to listen to it 3 times to begin to get a handle it, then I know it will "have legs". It happens enough that I call it my Rule of Three" I guess I just need time to absorb things.

So, I took my new Jamis out for its fourth ride today and decided it was time for it to meet my first "friend", Roberts Road.
Some of you might remember Roberts Road from earlier posts.
It's 1/2 mile climb averaging about 8%.
The first half is steeper (8-11%), the second half more gentle (5-6%).
It takes me about 4.5 to 5 minutes to climb depending on how hard I feel like pushing and the gears choose
I told you I was a slow climber.

So, understanding more about my new bike, I started off today in "easy, cruise" mode.
Steel is real... yes, yes, yes... I am finding this bike so smooth, so plush.
It just glides along soaking up the road.
I ride places where my LeMond (aluminum) would buzz my teeth out and the Jamis just swallows that all up.
Comfortable doesn't begin to cover it.
Yes, I have tilted the nose of my B-67 down quite a bit and as it truly breaks in and gets less slick -something it didn't get much of a chance at on my Fisher- I'm sure it will go down more. It sure is a nice saddle.

So, I got all warm and loose and started up Roberts Road. The upshot? It takes about 45 seconds or so to climb but it wasn't bad. My HR ran about 5-6BPM higher than normal but it really was a pretty easy climb to settle into. Can't wait to try something longer.

This is where I wonder about 32c tires vs 28c.
I don't really want the speed -my Giant is my speed bike- but as you know, if I wanna go I have to go up.
Anything that makes that less of a burden id worth considering. But I just couldn't be happier with this bike.
Much like Giant, how does Jamis do it?
Such great, high quality bikes at such reasonable prices.
Amazing values.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 12-19-08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-19-08, 07:09 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Giant is run by a man (Tony Lo) and Jamis is run by a woman (Caren Joaneau), so maybe the Jamis is getting you in touch with your female side. My friend Margo is a rep for Jamis, and she really like Jamis bikes!

Just a theory though, and I could be wrong!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-19-08, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Giant is run by a man (Tony Lo) and Jamis is run by a woman (Caren Joaneau), so maybe the Jamis is getting you in touch with your female side. My friend Margo is a rep for Jamis, and she really like Jamis bikes!

Rick / OCRR
I like it. It's kind of hard to see the comparative lunking brute (compared to the OCR) that the Jamis is as female. But, you know, as weird as it seems, there is a certain logic to it.
Old 12-19-08, 08:47 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick / OCRR
Your theory might be right! My first hybrid was a Giant and the next one was a Jamis. I liked the Jamis much better

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-20-08, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Rick / OCRR
I believe her name is spelled: Carine Joannou ...just in case there are others out there who like to read about folks in the bike business and want to google her.

SKT, glad you're really digging the feel of steel.