Thread: Rackin an MTB

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rackin an MTB

Any of you MTB'ers have rear racks on your bike?

I'm startin to do more time offroad, and some of the rides are quite a few hrs in the Los Padres backcountry.
    I REALLY Dislike having stuff on my back when ridin. So I'd like to put my hydration pack (with chow and emergency supplies) onto a rear rack.
    aside from the std rear rack, I'm thinkin of this seatpost type...
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

any comments on using racks, and rack types, for intermediate type offroad stuff would be appreciated.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at frame bags by Carousel Design or Epic Design. I use them on my mtb b/c it keeps the weight off the rear wheel and it also keeps it lower down for better handling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, an old POS that had been hanging around in the garage for years. It servers mostly as a fender.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't image using a rear rack for any serious mountain biking. I would think moving your center of gravity back would do strange things to your control.

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it doesn't go comfortable in a Camelbak you are carrying too much. Frankly you don't want a rack rattling off the back of your bike. It will drive you crazy. And it will interfer with you having to get off the back of the saddle during descents.

Get use to the Camelbak. As a docent who leads rides, I have to carry at a minimum 100 oz of water, snacks for other people, a full first aid kit and a full set of tools and extra tubes, binoculars, camera etc. If I can carry all of that, you can put your stuff in the Camelbak.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a camelback and it is the basic one that has room for the hydration pack and a wallet--and only a small one at that.

On the Tandem we use a seat post mounted rack and it carries up to about 5Kgs with ease. We also have a larger topbag for carrying waterproofs or extra sandwiches and PIE on the longer trips but be warned. That much weight high up on the bike does affect handling at slow speeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For rail trails, dirt roads and such I do not consider a rack and/or handlebar bag to be a problem.

I'm not really interested in riding where I can't carry a rack. I've already had six knee surgeries (or is it seven?) and two shoulder surgeries.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimblairo View Post
    Take a look at frame bags by Carousel Design or Epic Design. I use them on my mtb b/c it keeps the weight off the rear wheel and it also keeps it lower down for better handling.
    thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts.
    I'm still gonna give a rack a try, and also give some consideration to Jim's suggestions - Carousel Design and Epic Design. some very interesting stuff made by these 2. The 'pods' look very cool... er.... warm.

Thanks

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had racks on MTBs before and didn't find they caused any handling problems on reasonably moderate type riding. I wouldn't think it would be a great idea for very fast riding on serious trails, but for casual stuff, why not?

I think the seat post racks are OK if you really want a rack and there's no way to mount a real frame mounted rack, but I would go for the more solid attachment and increased load capacity of a frame mount if at all possible. MTB seat posts get enough strain from the rider moving around and slamming into obstacles without adding the stress of a loaded rack hanging from it. Seems the center of gravity would be raised also. Besides, the post racks look kind of goofy.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at Old Man Mountain? Made in Santa Barbara and have been extensively used in Los Padres NF. The Cold Spring Harbor and Sherpa models are designed for rear suspension frames or hardtail w/o seatstay eyelets--they use a QR axle mount.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectus View Post
    Have you looked at Old Man Mountain? Made in Santa Barbara and have been extensively used in Los Padres NF. The Cold Spring Harbor and Sherpa models are designed for rear suspension frames or hardtail w/o seatstay eyelets--they use a QR axle mount.
    20 yrs in this town and I had no idea these guyz existed

chek'd out the videos - the racks sure do seem to get 'worked', a lot more than I;d ever do...

will definitely chek the stuff out in person, looks like it will certainly pass muster...

thanks a bunch!

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Blackburn MTN Rack on my Schwinn. The biggest challenge was the lack of eyelets, since this model was intended as a racing bike for Ned Overend's team, but the little vinyl coated clamps do the trick. My chain hanging peg keeps the rack clamps from sliding down the stays.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. Have fun!