Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

riding with my slower girl friend

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

riding with my slower girl friend

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 04:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's a common misconception.
+1

It's the stokers who always have interesting observations to share about the route and scenery, and the captains who can tell you about the glass and potholes.

tcs

Last edited by tcs; 12-29-08 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 04:52 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Some girlfriends like to ride faster, some slower. Just find the pace she likes and stay with her.
Old 12-29-08, 05:11 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Get her a nice road bike (if she doesn't have one). Buy yourself an old English 3-speed, or maybe a single speed cruiser. She'll keep up.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-29-08, 06:22 PM

Bikes: trek fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this...

https://coachlevi.com/training/nike-s...chute-trainer/
Old 12-30-08, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd worry that trying to find a way to get her to keep up may damage your relationship. I think you have two options.

1) Both of you ride your own speed. The fast one will have to stop and wait for the slow one from time to time. You might discuss where - at the top of a hill, at the next stop sign, after 5 miles, etc.

2) The fast one will have to slow down to ride with the slow one. I like the idea of having the fast one in back. It's hard for the faster person to know how slow to ride to match the other's speed. If you set a pace that's too slow you risk the other person saying you're being insulting.

Oh, there's a third option: Don't ride together. You go on your rides at your pace and she goes on her rides at her pace. Talk about them at night in bed. (Uh-oh, too much information again!)

When my wife and I ride together, she's often the faster rider. She's a very agressive athlete, and likes to push herself hard. Her typical rides are 10 miles or less. My typical ride is about 30 miles, and I'm a tourer. I like going on 4-week, fully-loaded bike tours. My pace is geared towards being able to maintain it all day, day after day. So on the short rides we do together, she often rockets away from me. That's okay. I typically catch up with her on the first long hill. She's the hare and I'm the tortoise, and we all know who won that race!

Do whatever works for you, neither one pressure the other to change, and may happiness prevail!
Old 12-30-08, 01:13 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some sage advice here . . . all over the map, but I'll take what I like and leave the rest . . . I like the idea of N+1 (the lighter bike, not the faster girlfriend . . . although . . .

I also like the less-expensive alternative of riding my heavier, slower hybrid . . .
Old 12-30-08, 03:58 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
You're lucky to have a riding partner. My wife hates riding. That's okay, I don't like doing aerobics dance routines. We're get along fine.

I wouldn't do anything to "throw" the race. GF may find it demeaning, but that all depends on the individual.

Ride together when you can, but realize it may not be at the pace you want.
Old 12-30-08, 05:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great advice and today I took a lot of it to heart.
We rode 32 miles today and I stayed in the back most of the time. what I saw was she rode a little faster and asked for advice on shifting. I would tell her when to shift down and up by watching her legs and she said it really helped.
All in all a great ride, although the last 5 or 6 miles she started to slow , but I just stayed with her and we both got a good 32 mile work out.
thanks for all your thoughts and advice. perhaps tonight we will have more to talk about than just biking.
Old 12-30-08, 06:53 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long have you been riding? Walking 5 miles or even running doesn't give her the muscles or endurance to ride 25 miles at the fast pace you prefer. She needs to build up her endurance to ride your speed for longer times. Cycling uses a different set of muscles -- I know that from the way my legs and hips feel after a good hour on the treadmill vs. 2 hours on the bike.
Old 12-30-08, 07:21 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My Wife and I started riding again 5 months ago after a 20+ year layoff. I'm a former runner, my Wife a former field hockey player. So we're both starting at ground zero being in our 60's. Everything in life and relationships is a compromise. I might go a bit faster on our 10-20 mile rides (longest so far 55 miles) and wouldn't insist on a coffee or lunch stop, but it's pretty high quality time together. My goal is to get one 30-50 mile solo ride in a week and possibly two 15-20 mile rides at a faster pace. Biggest challenge: coaxing my Wife into trying some of the beautiful rolling backroads in our area. After all a field hockey field is flat while I spent 10+ years running in the hills almost every day. Sounds like you're working to a good plan now!
Old 12-30-08, 07:57 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodrigaj
With a bit of editing this thread is hilarious

+1000!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-30-08, 08:52 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by billycarnival
We rode 32 miles today and I stayed in the back most of the time. what I saw was she rode a little faster and asked for advice on shifting. I would tell her when to shift down and up by watching her legs and she said it really helped.
All in all a great ride, although the last 5 or 6 miles she started to slow , but I just stayed with her and we both got a good 32 mile work out.
thanks for all your thoughts and advice. perhaps tonight we will have more to talk about than just biking.

That's great. Way to go.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-30-08, 09:34 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dguest
I had the same problem when riding with my wife, that thread was earlier this year, but I ended up letting her take the lead and was behind her encouraging her and helpfully easing her pace towards faster speeds. After about a month of this she developed a pace that has been great. If I take the lead she has no problem keeping up and there are now times when she has the lead that I have to push my own pace to keep up with her.
That's the key!
Old 12-31-08, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I know I can just slow down and ride on the big rings but darn it I like to go fast.
Any suggestions that I could pass along to her to help her keep up.

this is something many people have resolved. It came up when I was part of a racing community 25yrs ago and girlfriends would ride with boyfriends. It also comes up when weekend warriors ride with racers on weekend training rides. People of different fitness levels and comfort levels ride together by deciding to do it. When you decide not to do it you ride alone or folks of similar disposition.

1. if you want to ride WITH someone you ride WITH them. Determine what that means whether it's riding a paceline or a set distance apart. If she's not comfortable riding on your wheel at X mph or you aren't comfortable riding on her wheel at Xmph then you ride at different speeds which will open up gaps. If that is not either of your definitions of riding WITH,,then don't bother riding together. It's not worth the hassle. IT'S NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.

2. if you insist on pushing her comfort zone it's not fun for her,,and one would think not for you.

3. ask her what is a comfortable distance to ride apart then try it,,riding behind her as well as in front of her.

4. I'd suggest you put yourself in her shoes by riding with a friend who was significantly stronger than you
and ask yourself what you could do to be happy riding at a 95% effort and continually dropping off on hills when an 80% effort is your comfort zone. It would be evident in ten minutes that you're going to suffer every time you ride with this person unless they slowed down to your level of effort.

I gave up riding with my sweetheart because it's simply not as fun for her as it is for me. She's not comfortable if I'm in her slipstream and she's not comfortable riding in mine. If I put it in the small ring and ride 30' behind her she's aware of the difference in fitness levels, if I'm 30' ahead she's not focusing on the ride but my wheel.
Old 12-31-08, 10:53 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
32 miles is a more than respectable ride, billycarnival. You're doing it right; keep doing it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-31-08, 06:23 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I reread your initial post and most of the replies. The more I think about it the more I come back to she was upset because she could not keep up. Those seem to be her words, not upset because your dropped her. I'm going to assume she is reasonably smart.

So how long have you been riding? How long has she been riding? If you've been riding 5 years and she has been riding 5 week no surprise your technique is much better and you are faster. Let her know that!

Also ask her what she want when you ride togeather. If part of it is really being as fast as you or at the least not 'holding you back' then that is at least part of what you need to work on. That means improving her technique and also having both of you work on drafting the other. Even if you are a saint in time she will figure it out if you make things work by holding back.

If the issue is in part she feels she is holding you back learning to ride as a team seems to me the way to go. Once you are good at working togeather you might consider a ride where headwinds are a risk. After 5or 6 miles of you in front and her on your wheel you might really want to have her take a pull or 2 in front. If not keeping up/holding you back is part of the issue having it work out even once where she helps you go faster, even just a little could be a big win.

I'll repeat. Ask her what she wants for the rides.
Old 01-01-09, 07:43 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just waiting for the update after Billy has tried some of the suggestions...I thought they were all pretty good.
Old 01-03-09, 12:04 PM
FRUGAL GERMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what doe she look like

I am suprised no one asked you to post a picture of the pretty lady, you old fart

Pop's
Old 01-03-09, 01:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
this is something many people have resolved. It came up when I was part of a racing community 25yrs ago and girlfriends would ride with boyfriends. It also comes up when weekend warriors ride with racers on weekend training rides. People of different fitness levels and comfort levels ride together by deciding to do it. When you decide not to do it you ride alone or folks of similar disposition.

1. if you want to ride WITH someone you ride WITH them. Determine what that means whether it's riding a paceline or a set distance apart. If she's not comfortable riding on your wheel at X mph or you aren't comfortable riding on her wheel at Xmph then you ride at different speeds which will open up gaps. If that is not either of your definitions of riding WITH,,then don't bother riding together. It's not worth the hassle. IT'S NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.

4. I'd suggest you put yourself in her shoes by riding with a friend who was significantly stronger than you

I gave up riding with my sweetheart because it's simply not as fun for her as it is for me. She's not comfortable if I'm in her slipstream and she's not comfortable riding in mine. If I put it in the small ring and ride 30' behind her she's aware of the difference in fitness levels, if I'm 30' ahead she's not focusing on the ride but my wheel.

I like # 1 sort of, but for a long-term relationship both should be able to be cyclists at their level of satisfaction too. My wife and I are close to the same age, but in everything (hiking, backpacking, canoeing (solo boats) and cycling (road/off-road) she's much slower and more reserved. We solved that issue 40 years ago when we decided to backpack at our own speeds.

It's plain unfair for me to go slow and wear myself out more quickly or for her to go fast and do the same. I'd periodically wait for her. Same with hiking and canoeing. Often when canoeing, I'll get pretty far ahead then paddle back up-stream to where she was and paddle with her a while and take off again. I've done the same cycling. Get up the long hill first and go back down and pick her up. I got more mileage in and went far faster.

For cycling now I'll lead her around a new trail or a new road circuit. There after we are on our own and meet up once in a while or not. Now she'll do a different route or easier trail and we keep in touch by cell phone. She likes the independence and I treat her like she's competent to be on her own.

This way we both ride, enjoy ourselves and go out to dinner afterwards. If the relationship requires sticking together like glue for everything, it won't be much fun for either party unless you like and want to do that sort of thing.

I do #4 on a regular basis for mountain biking. After all, I like to bike. I deal with it by telling everyone not to wait for me. I'll catch them on their break or possibly never. No problem as I know the trails. I did the same when I backpacked with folks some 5 years ago who were in their late twenties and I was 64.

What often happens now for cycling is they leave me sitting where they are strong and I catch up where I'm strong. I run my own pace (and abhor pace lines). Everyone has a good time as nobody has to be a nursemaid to the old guy. I get calls to ride with these faster folks. That's because they can ride like they can enjoy and be guilt free.

A good discussion on the subject to find out where both are coming from and some experimentation can often lead to a compromise solution that can make both reasonably happy.

Al
Old 01-03-09, 06:29 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Let here lead and set the pace.

+1 Be glad she is riding with you.

+1 Use the opportunity to increase your cadence (spin a lower gear).
Old 01-03-09, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any suggestions that I could pass along to her to help her keep up.
This one is simple if you want a long and happy relationship.

Tell her she is wonderful. Tell her she looks especially great on a bike. Tell her you would rather follow her because you appreciate the scenery. Be happy she will ride with you. Ride at her pace without even the slightest hint of a whine. Ride alone or with someone else when you want to go faster. Ride with the really rapid boys and girls if you want to get humble.

(If and when she wants to go faster, she will do it without any help or comment from you.)
Old 01-04-09, 04:23 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1/ I let her lead and set the pace

2/ I follow and NEVER get out of 1st. low gear, even for moderate hill climbs.

3/ WoW! What a workout I get, and she's not p!ssed at me.

Try it, she'll like it.
Old 01-04-09, 05:23 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The BF is a much stronger rider than I am but he has, so far, been content to ride more or less at my pace. When it gets to the really steep hills, he races ahead, and then comes back down and bounds up them again, which I'm hoping will use up some of the extra energy.

But then he's not turned 50 yet. Maybe that's the reason.
Old 01-04-09, 08:32 PM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't ride with your slower girlfriend.

Ride with your faster girlfriend.

Problem solved.

Old 01-04-09, 08:37 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
We lived on what some people would call a subsistence farm until I was about eleven or twelve. That means we raised most of our own food and picked our feed sacks according to what color of school shirts we wanted. I've run a double (two row) turning plow behind a team, as well as a go-devil, fresno, and spring tooth harrow, all of which are things few people under 80 know of. So I'll give you the advice that my daddy told me, fully useful in sports, life, and family.

"....remember, a good team only pulls as fast as the slowest mule.....so take good care of the slowest mule...."

Someone above my pay grade could probably teach a whole semester of sociology out of that one sentence. Think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.