Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Florida Bound

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Florida Bound

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 09:23 AM
Not So Senior Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida Bound

Happy Holidays to All - we are heading to the St. Petes area in a couple of months. I'm bringing my bike along and I was wondering if there are any good cycling routes or trails that my 50+ brother or sisters can share.
After riding in below freezing temps for the last few weeks the thoughts of warm breezes and a possible sunburn are akin to visions of lollipops!
Thanks to all and to all.............
Old 12-30-08, 11:58 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
This site might help
https://www.mapmyride.com/search?txtL...rch=SEARCH+%3E
Old 12-30-08, 12:37 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Lucky SOB.
Old 12-30-08, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Pinellas Trail (rails to trail) is a great multi-use trail that runs the length of Pinellas County (St Pete to Tarpon Springs). https://www.pinellascounty.org/trailgd/default.htm The trail was recently extended from the southern terminus at US 19 (34th St.) due east to the waterfront in St. Pete.

Pinellas county is a very densely populated county. Road riding can be a bit dangerous and if you plan road riding pick your spots carefully. There are a couple of clubs that have some road rides posted; St Pete Bicycle Club (south county) and Suncoast Cycling Club (north county). Take a look at their web sites for some routes/maps.

As we always say here, "you should have been here last week". It has been 60 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon for the past two weeks , but don't tell anybody because EVERYONE will move here. Great riding weather, but who knows what Jan/Feb will bring.

Mark
Old 12-30-08, 05:40 PM
Not So Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the leads Artmo and MarkD!
No worries what the weather may bring in Jan or Feb - I can guarantee that it will be better than riding at home. Then again any ride is a good ride.
Old 12-30-08, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Sarasota Manatee bicycle club has planned rides nearly every day and you don't have to be a club member to ride, just show up. I can't find the web site at the moment but if you google Sarasota Manatee Bicycle Club I am sure you will find it.
Old 12-30-08, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the economy the way it is, I would encourage everyone to come and visit Florida this month, next month, and throughout next year. We really need the visitors - the hotels have plenty of rooms with good discounts, the beach remains free, and the weather has been and will be spectacular.
Old 12-30-08, 05:58 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jisaak
Happy Holidays to All - we are heading to the St. Petes area in a couple of months. I'm bringing my bike along and I was wondering if there are any good cycling routes or trails that my 50+ brother or sisters can share.
Ask the folks in the Southeast Regional subforum.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-30-08, 06:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's what it's like in Florida right now:

The road out to the beach:

The shuttle launch pads from the road to the beach:

And the beach - vacant and beautiful:

I say, head on down.
Old 12-30-08, 09:10 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
You also are not that far from the Withlacoochee Trail. It starts in Trilby, FL. and is 46 miles long.

https://www.railstotrailsonline.com/
Old 12-31-08, 09:10 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
With the economy the way it is, I would encourage everyone to come and visit Florida this month, next month, and throughout next year. We really need the visitors - the hotels have plenty of rooms with good discounts, the beach remains free, and the weather has been and will be spectacular.

What about free food???
Old 12-31-08, 10:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
What about free food???
You're quite correct in asking, and I apologize for not mentioning all the facilities available for that free, hot, satisfying meal you're looking for. Here is the link for just the place:

"Daily Bread's soup kitchen is a lifeline for over 4,200 men, women and children in our community each year. Serving between 200 and 250 people daily, the kitchen is open seven days a week, 365 days a year, providing a hot mid-day meal plus hygienic services, including shower, laundry and mail service, to any one in need."
Old 12-31-08, 12:01 PM
Not So Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm only down for a week so I won't effect the economy too much but will do my best.
Great photos Kerlenbach, I remember travelling some of those very roads around the space centre in the mid 90's on my quest to see manatees in their natural habitat. One particular day we headed towards the space centre only to be stopped by heavily armed personnel informing us the base was closed and that we were to turn around asap. Puzzled as to the why the base was closed and the hightened security we ventured back to the hotel in Daytona to find out about the Oklahoma bombing.
On a positive note about that particular trip was meeting some of the locals who were great folks, they sent us to the southern tip of Daytona peninsula for a feed of fish ribs at this rustic restaurant that was once a fish camp. Worth going back to the Atlantic side just for another feed.
Thanks to everyone for the info.