Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Florida Bound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida Bound

Happy Holidays to All - we are heading to the St. Petes area in a couple of months. I'm bringing my bike along and I was wondering if there are any good cycling routes or trails that my 50+ brother or sisters can share.
    After riding in below freezing temps for the last few weeks the thoughts of warm breezes and a possible sunburn are akin to visions of lollipops!
    Thanks to all and to all.............

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lucky SOB.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pinellas Trail (rails to trail) is a great multi-use trail that runs the length of Pinellas County (St Pete to Tarpon Springs). http://www.pinellascounty.org/trailgd/default.htm The trail was recently extended from the southern terminus at US 19 (34th St.) due east to the waterfront in St. Pete.

Pinellas county is a very densely populated county. Road riding can be a bit dangerous and if you plan road riding pick your spots carefully. There are a couple of clubs that have some road rides posted; St Pete Bicycle Club (south county) and Suncoast Cycling Club (north county). Take a look at their web sites for some routes/maps.

As we always say here, "you should have been here last week". It has been 60 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon for the past two weeks , but don't tell anybody because EVERYONE will move here. Great riding weather, but who knows what Jan/Feb will bring.

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the leads Artmo and MarkD!
    No worries what the weather may bring in Jan or Feb - I can guarantee that it will be better than riding at home. Then again any ride is a good ride.

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sarasota Manatee bicycle club has planned rides nearly every day and you don't have to be a club member to ride, just show up. I can't find the web site at the moment but if you google Sarasota Manatee Bicycle Club I am sure you will find it.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the economy the way it is, I would encourage everyone to come and visit Florida this month, next month, and throughout next year. We really need the visitors - the hotels have plenty of rooms with good discounts, the beach remains free, and the weather has been and will be spectacular.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jisaak View Post
    Happy Holidays to All - we are heading to the St. Petes area in a couple of months. I'm bringing my bike along and I was wondering if there are any good cycling routes or trails that my 50+ brother or sisters can share.
    Ask the folks in the Southeast Regional subforum.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what it's like in Florida right now:

The road out to the beach:

The shuttle launch pads from the road to the beach:

And the beach - vacant and beautiful:

I say, head on down.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You also are not that far from the Withlacoochee Trail. It starts in Trilby, FL. and is 46 miles long.

http://www.railstotrailsonline.com/

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    With the economy the way it is, I would encourage everyone to come and visit Florida this month, next month, and throughout next year. We really need the visitors - the hotels have plenty of rooms with good discounts, the beach remains free, and the weather has been and will be spectacular.

What about free food???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    What about free food???
    You're quite correct in asking, and I apologize for not mentioning all the facilities available for that free, hot, satisfying meal you're looking for. Here is the link for just the place:

"Daily Bread's soup kitchen is a lifeline for over 4,200 men, women and children in our community each year. Serving between 200 and 250 people daily, the kitchen is open seven days a week, 365 days a year, providing a hot mid-day meal plus hygienic services, including shower, laundry and mail service, to any one in need."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only down for a week so I won't effect the economy too much but will do my best.
    Great photos Kerlenbach, I remember travelling some of those very roads around the space centre in the mid 90's on my quest to see manatees in their natural habitat. One particular day we headed towards the space centre only to be stopped by heavily armed personnel informing us the base was closed and that we were to turn around asap. Puzzled as to the why the base was closed and the hightened security we ventured back to the hotel in Daytona to find out about the Oklahoma bombing.
    On a positive note about that particular trip was meeting some of the locals who were great folks, they sent us to the southern tip of Daytona peninsula for a feed of fish ribs at this rustic restaurant that was once a fish camp. Worth going back to the Atlantic side just for another feed.
    Thanks to everyone for the info.