Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-31-08, 12:24 AM   #1
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Worth getting and worth keeping.

I have received a lot of helpful advice in these forums. I was told to give my saddle and what a sat on the saddle with time and sooner or later they both would get used to each other. That turned out to be true as well. Still my stock Saddle was just a touch irritating after about 40-50 miles. Because I plan on doing my first century in February I decided to take a look at getting a new saddle. I have looked at a few saddles from Specialized and Terry and decided to give the Selle SMT a try. I cannot tell you how comfortable this saddle is right off the rack. The only thing that stopped me from bringing the saddle home was the price. I decided to sleep on it and road home to think it over. I was told that every saddle has to be broke in but I can tell you that if this saddle gets any more comfortable I will feel like I am sitting on air.

As I sat at home thinking about the saddle my wife asked me what I was thinking about. I sheepishly said I had been looking at a new saddle today. She said I should have bought it if I liked it and I then told her how much it cost and what a surprise, she said if it is that comfortable it was worth it. She said, never short change yourself on shoes and what you sit on has to be at least as important. I think I have a keeper.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 01:00 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yea- The wife is definitely a keeper.

Now about those Assos Bib Shorts and jerseys.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 01:47 AM   #3
Robert Foster
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Yea- The wife is definitely a keeper.

Now about those Assos Bib Shorts and jerseys.
I think they put something in the water at the LBS that just makes you want to upgrade. Strange thing since you mentioned it., I have been thinking about ordering another set of bibs and two jerseys. I am going to stop drinking coffee at the LBS.
Old 12-31-08, 07:27 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
I think they put something in the water at the LBS that just makes you want to upgrade. Strange thing since you mentioned it., I have been thinking about ordering another set of bibs and two jerseys. I am going to stop drinking coffee at the LBS.
Do you suppose that's why Chris King also sells coffee?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 09:14 AM   #5
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The true test of saddle for me is in the 50-80 mile range. If I can do rides that distance on bumpy roads and still not think about a saddle it's a keeper. Good luck with yours-I have just greatly reduced my saddle inventory via a bikeswap or otherwise I'd offer some of mine to try!

Just make sure you get the correct saddle width. I've found that to be pretty important as well.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 01:17 PM   #6
Robert Foster
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
The true test of saddle for me is in the 50-80 mile range. If I can do rides that distance on bumpy roads and still not think about a saddle it's a keeper. Good luck with yours-I have just greatly reduced my saddle inventory via a bikeswap or otherwise I'd offer some of mine to try!

Just make sure you get the correct saddle width. I've found that to be pretty important as well.
I am planning on going down and picking up one of the SMPs today. The owner is pretty cool and I believe he will let me use it with a deposit for our group ride tomorrow. The New Years day ride is sort of a prep ride for the year and our move towards getting ready for the first century ride some of us will be making in Palm Springs in February. I will try one width tomorrow and if it is too wide or too narrow I'll try the other one. I can always order one in-between. It isn't like Selle doesn't make quality saddles so once I get over the price it should simply getting the fit down.